Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community
Taking Metoprolol While Pregnant

Join other expecting mothers 25 to 34 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Taking Metoprolol While Pregnant

I previously was on Atenolol for arrythmia.  When I decided to try to get pregnant, by heart dr. switched me to Metoprolol.  Now, my OB says I should have stayed on Atenolol, because no studies have been done on Metoprolol.  I'm very concerned.  Any feedback?
Avatar n tn
DANG I WOULD SEE IF I COULD GET THE DOCTORS TO DISCUSS IT WITH EACHOTHER AND THEY SHOULD SINCE THEY BOTH ARE INVOLVED IN YOUR CARE.GOOD LUCK
Avatar n tn
Hi. I am a cardiac RN and years of experience with cardiac meds however, I have only had 1 pregnant woman in many yrs and her issue was a clotting disorder. Let me first state, I do not know your specific arrhythmia and these drugs mentioned may not be appropriate for you.  Any way, My understanding is atenolol is possibly associated with birth defects and providers tend to switch their pts to a differnet Rx. Metoprolol (lopressor) a wildly used RX is associated with mild neonatal hypotention(decrease blood pressure) and decrease heart rate. As it does to the patient taking the drug. The drug of choice is Methyldopa (labetalol) acoording to maternal-fetal medicine specialists (perinatologist) Also, all these rx are class "C" in safety for pregnancy.  However, the benefits of use of the rx could outweigh the possible risk. As you know, you need the drug inorder to not have life threatening arrhythmias!! Betablockers have been used for yrs an some studies have shown no adverse effects on pregnancy or fetus. I would speak with your cardiologist and a perinatologist and have them discuss the best Rx for your specific arrhythmia.  The drugs I discussed may not work for your arrhthmia. Again, this info is MY understanding only.  Wish you well....Good luck!
Avatar n tn
Thank you for the information.  I have an appointment with my EP next week.
Avatar n tn
Hi.  I just wanted to mention I was talking with my girlfriend yesterday and she mentioned that she was having to increase her atenolol. ( she takes it for nuerological issues) Anyway, she gave birth to a healthy baby girl last Oct while maintaining a does of 25mg/day during her entire pregnancy! She lives in Boston, after research and then spoking with a perinatologist over the phone she choose to continue the drug and not switching. Just thought might help ease your mind!! Good luck at your appt and let me know what happens!
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your additional comments.  My EP said that there haven't been many studies on either atenolol or metoprolol, but the studies that have been done show a slightly lower birth weight if you are taking the drug.  Metoprolol is slightly better in that area, but otherthan that they are safe.  What a relief!
I'm so glad to finally see a positive post,  I have been on metropolol for 3 years and was told by my Cardiologist it wouldn't be a problem if I were to get pregnant.  Now that I have started trying to get pregnant and don't know if I am yet I started doing research and calling around and everyone tells me I shouldn't get pregnant while on metoprolol. Because of possible adverse effects I'm worried now. But your post has put me a bit at ease.
I just realize your post was from 03. How did your pregnancy go. How was your baby.
Did you ever get pregnant? If so what were you taking? My wife may be going on this med soon. We have a few children but may want more. Please let me know. Thanks!
I had a baby boy in December 2013 while actively taking 50 mg of metoprolol er succinate  for 3 years prior to the pregnancy for a tachycardia heart rate, I was bumped up to 75 mg during the pregnancy... Happy to report... He is just perfect :)
Hi I see this post is from long ago its now 2016 but Im pregnant with my second child and am a very high risk due to my heart problems my heart doc put me on metoprolol tartrate 25mg twice a day. Im wondering how safe it really is for the baby and if anyone thinks taking it give Someone a better chance of making through the pregnancy. We have a planned c-section so that I dont bust another whole in my valve, but Im very scared this may harm my child. I see some people say its safe an some think its not so Im super confused. All I do know is I do need a medication to take because my palps are horrible. Anyone's help is very appreciated thank you.
KTowne, and Hollus commented on KTowne's status
KTowne We got a puppy today.. we a... Comment
KeeLolo commented on aiyanas_momma's status
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy