Terrified about ppl touching/holding the baby
Hi all, I just entered my third trimester and I can't stop worrying about people wanting to touch or hold my baby when he comes. I feel bad about possibly becoming a baby hog and have people tell me I'm too cautious, but some of my family members won't get the TDAP vaccine and some seem to be always sick or battling a "minor cold"... I just lost my father a few weeks ago and I feel like my fears about this have quadrupled since then. Does anyone else have this anxiety?
Well, lots of new parents have this fear especially with a first baby and truth is that with a new baby, you should be somewhat cautious.  Our pediatrician said not to go to large social gatherings the first month, keep baby in infant carrier at times of big crowds, encourage people to touch baby's feet rather than hands.  We did this with our first.  But whew, our second?  Baby went EVERYWHERE.  LOL  I think they have commercials about first baby fear and obsessing over germs and later babies being thrown into the arms of anyone that will hold them.  LOL

I'm really sorry about your dad, hon.  That's a big loss and certainly will impact you for a long time.  I'd also be on the look out for anxiety or post partum when you give birth.  This happens to many women and you need to be up front and tell your doctor.  It can really make the start of your child's life with you much stressful and less enjoyable than it can be.  

Remember too that babies who are nursed get some immunity through you.  :>)  good luck
Thank you so much for both of your comments on this thread. Your guidance really made me feel better! I just want to do everything I can to protect this little fella so I figured I would pick the more experienced mommies' brains :) ... I plan to be cautious and definitely keep an eye on my emotions/anxiety etc. after the baby comes to make sure I'm in check. Also, thank you for your condolences about my dad - it's very kind of you ❤️
I'm the same way with even my 2 year old now lol. I have another due when she's three and I'm so worried about this!
Here is the thing I realized after the fact.  All kiddos will get sick at one time or another.  I prolonged it but then we had about two years of H- E - double tooth picks when they were preschool age and all of a sudden encountered germs I fought against.  Colds, strep, viruses, stomach flu . . .  you name it.  They got it during their preschool years.  And I went to a very nice preschool for just two half days a week.  Still, the sick happened.  And if it doesn't happen there, it happens when they get to kindergarten.  And it's okay!  My doctor believes that is how they build their immune system.  You certainly don't want an infant to get really sick---  that's scary and more serious if there are complications.  But, having my second one get a cold at 6 weeks was not the end of the earth.  :>)  He survived!  So, avoid germs when you can but know that at some point, they will be exposed and it's okay.  They will get sick and survive.  But with both of my kids, after the era of lots of illnesses, they are now rarely sick.  so, it passes.  good luck