Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community
Very Worried...Please Help!!!!! Rapid Heart Rate

A community of expecting mothers (25 to 34 Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am 11 weeks pregnant and for the last 6 weeks or so, I have been experiencing a very rapid heart rate.
If I am resting my heart will beat anywhere from 65 to 100 beats per minute which is fine but if I move at all, yawn, eat food, get up and am in a standing position, my heart will boom up to 140 beats per minute, then lower a little but will stay around 120 for absolutely no reason. I cannot go grociery shopping or clean my house or do anything that requires me be in the standing position without my heart rate staying way to high and I am getting very worried. My heart will also pound very hard, to the point that I can feel it in my chest and almost hear it in my ears, this isn't all the time but especially while laying on my sides.
Has anyone experienced this with their pregnancy's....if so, please share your experience.
Thank you for any help.
By the way, even though my heart rate is not dangerous while laying or sitting down, my heart rate never used to be in the 90s or at 100 when resting before so my heart rate has just incresded in general.
Thank you again
That is VERY normal!!!  I experienced that too and thought I was having an axiety attack. You'll be fine!  I wish I was posting this post :(
Did this eventually go away for you or did it last throughout your entire pregnancy?
Did you experience this in early pregnancy or later and do you know what causes it. I was thinking maybe from the increase in blood volume during pregnancy but I was 5 weeks pregnant when this started and the O.B. said that my blood volume had not really even increased enough that early to cause that.
Thank you for your help!
Very normal and you're really notice it in the beginning.  Mine has slowed down a little, but it's your body pumping more blood to the baby to support it.  It will eventually regulate and you won't notice it as much, I'm almost 25 weeks and I don't really notice it now, but I think mine lessened around 18 weeks or so.  Try not to freak out when it happens (although it feels like you're having a heart attack) but take calm deep breaths.  It's just another fun pregnancy change that happens.  But I'm sure it's helps to know you're not alone in this boat!
This helps a lot. Thank you all both so much, I have been really nervous about it. I was really concerned because I did not have this at all with my first pregnancy but I was also 6 years younger and in much better shape so LOL
Thank you very much
It was in the beginning of my pregnancy. I thought my heart mwas going to jump out my chest!
Thank you very much everyone for all the advice and help. I feel much better now knowing that I'm not alone.
I experienced both.  Funny thing is I would be lying down when it would happen. It was like I could hear my heart beating out loud.  It felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest!  It stopped around 12 or 13 weeks.
What has your doctor said about it? With my last pg I experienced the racing heart and the pounding in my chest but it was largely contributed to anxiety. Also, if you are anxious about these symptoms, more likely than not, they're going to seem more pronounced. As the other women have said, it's probably perfectly normal but if it's interfering with your daily life, you should definitely speak to your doc about getting some relief of some sort if possible.
Did all of you experience both the fast heart rate and the hard pounding or just one?
Thank you again!
I know exactly what you are talking about..i have my 12 week ob appt today and am really scared about this pounding heart thing..i thought that i was weird but after reading all of ryou guys input i see that it seems to be normal..

i thought that i was going to pound away from heart beat

thanks
Dear Haney,

When i read your post on march 7th,  2007. I realized that I am currently experiencing this exact thing. I was very scared and wondered why it happended more even when I was laying down on my side. Ofcourse you must have your baby by now.I am forty and pregnant for the first times so I am thinking that maybe I am too old and this is why I was getting this problems with my heart. My OB GYN told me it should pass.I am also wondering if i could be getting some kind of anxiety attack. I can be laying perfectly still on either of my sides and my heart would start to kick into high gear. I would usuall fall asleep soon afterward without much warning. Feeling as though i had a major work out. It is good to know that there is someone who experienced this as well.

Hope you had a good pregnancy otherwise.

All the best

Carolyn
Hi Ladies!
I am 34 years old and 12 weeks pregnant with my third child.  I too for the first time last night expierenced this feeling where I was sleeping and woke up with my heart beating sooo fast.   I took my pulse and it was 120, that is very high for me considering it's normally 72 beats.  I went to my OB today and she said if it happens every once in a while that is normal through pregnancy, if it starts happening all the time she wants to check my blood and other tests.  I had two EKG's done 3 months ago along with every blood work possible for a physical and then some, and all came out fine.  I just think that our bobies are changing so much and with all this extra blood flow our bobies are just trying to keep up.  I do find that if I take Standard Process supplement Magnesium Lactate 3 times a day that helps calm the heart naturally.  Good Luck ladies!!!
veronica0808 commented on photo
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
KeeLolo commented on photo
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy