When is the earliest you can see anything on an ultrasound
My doctor has scheduled me for an u/s today.  I am only 5 weeks pg.  What, if anything, can I expect to see.  He's doing it because I'm having severe lower back pain.
So here is my story my period was 4 days late and i took a pregnancy test and it came out negative so tokk another 2 the next coupld of days and still negative so i waited till i was 10 days late and got a faint second positive line. So to make sure i took another test this time digital and it said yes. Now its 2 weeks late and i did blood work test and it came out postive but my DR said my level was really low,164 which she said would make me about a week preg, but according to my last period which was Sept 9 its now october 21, i should be about 5 weeks. so i went for an ultra sound today and they couldnt find anything but said my wall was really thick, then she did an internal ultras sound and found a black dot. That's all, she said it could be too early! im so confused is it possible to be only 1 or 2 weeks when my last period was over 42 days ago? HELP
Hey,
don't worry all you can do now is waiting like we all.
I went to doc last week, came back home all in tears because he said i might have misscariage. Story is had my LMP 7th of Sept, and it turned out that im with child after a month. when I went to do U/S doc said that im 5-6 weeks but all he could see was an empty sac- im going for 2nd U/S on Monday. We all need to keep in mind that doc might be wrong with all dates calculation. We ovulate in different times etc. With my calculations Im only 4 weeks at the moment- I have looong periods etc. So it might be just too early to see anything apart from sac. Or maybe its juist not the right time for having a baby. Fingers crossed.
I am going through the same situation but slightly diff, I went to the hospital and found out I was supposedly 5 weeks prego sunday at that time 1300 hgc level, they did a ultrasound and found nothing no sac, just nothing so today I went to my follow up appointment and they did more blood work and another ultrasound and still didn't see anything, now I am waiting to next week for another ultrasound and my results, please someone give me somthing positive on the matter bcause I am so depressed thinking about my possible lost
Hey- just came back fro mdoc office- on this u/s we saw a heartbeat! :) So far so good- so girls- there is laways a hope and that a doc might misscalucaleted your dates- heads up!!
Wow. I've read thru most of the comments and surprised to find that alot of you have had the same things i had! Right after my period ended, i noticed some spotting. Thought nothing of it, until I was still spotting 2 weeks later. i took 6 at home preg tests, all positive. i went to the ER with stomach pain where it was confirmed I was pregnant. i went to the ob gyn friday, and had trans and topic ultrasounds, nothing showed up. I had HCG levels drawn on friday and again on sunday. I find out the results on 10/27 to find out if I'm really pregnant (I've been trying for *FIVE YEARS*!), and if everything is ok, but the smallest things make me worry. Eek! How is every one else doing?
it could be that you're just too early in your pregnancy to see the baby. I had my ultrasound and transvaginal done, and they couldn't see a sac, but I was defiantly pregnant.  It was just too early to see. Hopefully I'll get to see something tomorrow.
I am 7 weeks from my lmp, but I was having some cramping in my lower back and in my pelvic area so I went to the er they did some blood work and a vag ultrasound, my hcg levels were 1800, they found a sac but no baby? I'm really concerned I go in Monday for my first prenatal visit? My periods have been irregular and I think I may not be as far along as they think? any advice?
Hi... So I am not even sure if I'm pregnant... and I'm super worried! My stomach has been hurting very much for the past week now, and I've only had a few early pregnancy symptoms. I had an ultrasound done yesterday because my stomach was killing me! They didn't see anything at all... and they still can't tell me if I'm pregnant! I've been reading and asking, but everyone is telling me that it's too early to tell... When will I know for sure? My next period should be in about two or three weeks if I'm not... but I hate waiting. I'm going in for another ultrasound in a few weeks... I have no idea what to expect to see!
I went into the er yesterday to see if I was having an eptopic pregnancy. Based on the online tests from my LMP I was 5 weeks and 2 days. The blood and urine all came back positive for being pregnant, but when they did the ultra sound all they saw was a sack. I have endometriousis so this scares me alot. Whats wrong?
Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Your dates could be off (IE ovulating late) and you could just be a lot sooner than you think. It's not surprising you've not seen much yet. Wait a week or two and have another scan done. In early pregnancy just a few days can make an enormous difference.
so i just got a positive test yesterday.. i went to the er last night because i had been having hip pain so now i know im pregnant i was worried due to a previous pregnancy... they did a urine which also came up positive then a serum test , which they said my level was only at 138.. they also did an ultrasound and could not see anything but during the pelvic exam said my cervix is closed so no miscarriage.. im just worried because from my last period i should be about 6 weeks but my levels and the u/s are saying different... i have to go back tomorrow for another serum test to see if my levels are doubling.. should i be worried??????
i had a u/s on april 1 2011 and she stated she see the first stage of pregancy and showed me 2 sacks with a dark line between them then on april 6 i started my period 5days heavy flow wtf help am i pregnate cuz im dranking this is stressful.
Hi, My name is Katlin I'm 18 this is my first pregnancy of course and unexpected. I had a positive test 5 times last week so i visited my doc yesterday she said i was really early when she gave me a exam, and had a U/S today they said they couldn't see anything but that could be that im early well my doctor said that yesterday and today i had a different one SO i don't know what to think they also said that they needed blood work today and Friday to check my levels in case the baby was in my tubes but not to worry that I was probably early which the doctor that gave the exam said i was extremely early. I don't know what to think. Is this normal to not show up my doc said from her feeling yesterday and all i was probably not even 2 months i was early she couldn't even tell me how far along i was. And she was giving me the real exam. So is it normal for them to make me take blood work and check for my levels and for nothing to show up?
I have taken 4 @ home test that all say positive, I have swollen breast and light spotting that lasted 3 days. This is my 1st pregnancy @24 although Ive been trying but today the er showed no baby on the altrasound. Their test show I pregnant and this is my first missed period Im soooo afraid but seeing Im not alone gives me hope.. Thank u all

I just had an ectopic pregnancy in April, under went surgery to remove the fetus.... I was 10 weeks. I had taken 2 PG tests for two weeks after I had missed my period. And they came out negative till the third week came out positive but very faint, had very sharp pains and non stop heavy spotting. I'm 5 weeks pregnant now, took a test 2 days after i missed my period and boom positive!!and experiencing a very mild cramp/pain but nooooooo bleeding at all my Dr did an exam and he does not feel its an ectopic, should I still worry? I want nothing more then to be a mother :)
I am 6 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound today and all we saw was a sack. Is that norma? And I have a large syst on my left ovarie, is that harmful to baby?
. Hi everyonee I have been readimg this && I, kinda in the same situation && I need help I am 6 weeks an 4days but my doctor said im 7weeks && 2 days I was having cramps and spotting the doctor said my cerxics is closed so its alright then I went && had a vaginal u/s which then showed a yok sack with no fetile they then said to come back in 2 days . Am I having a miscarriage ? Or is it to early to see .?
okay im 5ft tall i have never weighed over 100lbs and have a high matabalism and im prenant. this is my second one my first was a misscarraige. i have a belly bump so how far along could i possibly be to already have that and no i havent been to the dr yet.
I am confused. Can you tell if you are having twins by your blood work results? I just had my embryo transfer in my 1st round of ivf cycle and transferred 2 embryo on day 5. I am impatiently waiting for my pregnancy test Nov 15th. Can blood work really tell you if you might be having twins? How soon would they know by ultrasound if its twins?
Omg I had 2 u/s done already and my doctor wasn't able to see anything my uterus looks empty..the 1st u/s all they were able to see was a cyst on my right ovary...today I had the second one and she couldn't see anything.I'm suppose to be 7 weeks preg. Today...I'm so scare what can it be this is my first pregnacy anyone please help me.
I'm 3 weeks almost 4 weeks preggo they did an us and it showed nothing is it just to early or should I be worried again I'm just barely 4 weeks
m haven a problem I am 5 weeks an 5days I have been bleeding for 4 days now I went to the Dr to see what was going on we did the v-ultrasound I took 3 at home test an I went to the Dr an took an blood test an it was + is there any way you can take a blood test an not be pergo I'm so scared.
I am 5 weeks && 5 days && I am spottin. I went to the er last nite && they could only see the sac but nothin n it. Im suppose to go back to the dr sometime this week to see if everythin is okay. My question is how long will I continue to spot && is this a sign that I may miscarry?! Sorry if I posted n the wrong section just wanted some feed back.
I had taken 5 home pregnancy tests and all came back positive...I had a dr appointment scheduled for the following Tuesday.  While at the Dr office, they had me do a pee test, and that also came back positive.....My Dr went and did an ultrasound and saw absolutely nothing...no sac, no baby yet...Dr said not to worry,  but I'm still scared....Dr then wanted me to go get blood work  done because my cycles were never regular, and it may be too early to see anything yet....I have to get another blood test done next Monday so the Dr can compare my Hcg levels...Should I be worried about anything or is it just too early to see anything yet
I'm in the same situation......Dr believes I'm just too early and that's why nothing is showing up yet......Dr told me that usually nothing shows up til around week 5 or so....so, if you are earlier than that, it's probably too soon!
I'm 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound both vaginal and on my tummy. The doctor told me they only see a sack with nothing in it. I am so worried I pray to GOD that its not an ectoptic pregnancy. I really want to have this baby. The doctor also told me that it still might be to early to see anything well at least that gave me more hope. Today is 1-17-12 and I'm thinking maybe I should wait 2 weeks to get another ultrasound done. Should I go sooner???
We are not GUYS, otherwise we wouldn't be pregnant..LOL
hey i dont know if anyone can help me i thought i was 7 weeks pregnant so i went to have a u/s and they said there wasnt anything there and tht ive had a m/c . i had a m/c last year at 7 weeks and i had loads of pain blood and big clots , this time ive had nothing except a little blood . if nothings there and nothing has come out where has it gone ??!! im worried ive worked it out wrong and im only 4 -5 weeks i only had a guess when my period ended . is this normal can u have a m/c with no clots pain nothing ? hellpppp !! i can except it if ive had a m/c if i have but if my utreus is empty where has it gone ! also 2 days ago my hcg levels were over 2000 now there 665.
I went in at 5weeks and saw mostly the sac and a little black circle inside. The dr said would be the baby. Give it til week 6 or 7. Good luck and congratulations!!!!
I'm 5 Weeks & 3 Days pregnant. I went to the doctor yesterday because I was cramping, not bleeding, and they did a Transvaginal ultrasound. All they saw was a sack, & a open yolk sack. My hcg hormone was around 11,000 they said, which is extremely high. So im kinda kinda nervous. Is this what happened to y'all? Because i'm extremely scared I miscarried.
HI my sister in law went to the hospital last night at 7 (may 17 2012) she called me while she was at work and said she had a very sharp pain in her lower abdomin and had some slight bleeding. she just found out 2 days ago she was pregnant. the doctors ran blood test, took vaginal and abdomin u/s and a papsmeer. they didnt really give any information this is her first pregnancy she is only 19. she is very scared and had loads of questions. they have said shes about 4-5 weeks, but the only thing they could see was a sac nothing inside it. the nurse says they should have seen something in the sac but there was nothing. they wrote down that she was having a threatened misscaragie. she has had one before so she is a little worried. is there anything she should do. they told her her levels were low but that its to early and its a threatened m/c. does anyone have any suggestions we are kind of worried because of how little info we were given and how wishy washy they were being
Hello all,
I wasn't able to read all of your comments but have read several. I underwent invetro fertilization on August 13th and came out with a positive test! I was so excited. I went in yesterday to find the "baby count" and all they could see was the amniotic sac and NO BABY, and NO HEART BEAT...after a small panic attack and reading your comments I'm feeling much better. The doctor said I was probably 4 weeks now. This was confusing to me because the week prior a nurse told me I was 5 weeks heading into my 6th week. Invetro is much different than the regular pregnancies when it comes to calculating weeks and days..I'm actually still unclear of exactly how many days/weeks I am because they fertilize in the lab.
I go back at the end of next week and hope I can see something in the amniotic sac! Prayers please!
Hey so i went in last thurs bc i was spotting and was thinking i was 6 1/2 weeks and they did both kinds of ultrasounds and only say the thickening of my uterus an dmy hcg level was at 200 so i have to go back in on mon to get the level rechecked and they said im either at 4 1/2 weeks or i might be having a miscarriage. Im really nervous, what shld you b able to see on an ultrasound at 4 1/2 weeks??
even i am 8 weeks pregnant.have seen the gestational sac and the yolk sac.my tech feels its a blighted ovum since the size of the sac is unusually big.according to her my pregnancy should be terminated as soon as possible.but my doc has asked me to do a beta hcg test again.i dont want to lose this pregnancy as i have tried for two years to conceive.hopefully i will get to hear some good news.i havent been bleeding nor having any cramps.so lets see.
Dear Liak & Everyone, I am going through a simular situation. I went to my first OB on October 4th where the gestational sac and yolk were present however no fetal pole. I was rescheduled to come back on October 22nd for a 2nd transvaginal U/S where still the same and STILL no fetal pole. I am scheduled to go back November the 1st for the same. Does anyone have any insight on this. I really am unsure of how far I am along due to irregular menstal cycles but this is my 2nd Pregnancy. My daughter is 6 1/2. I am having a real hard time with this emotionally and would just love to hear any simular situations of this. Thanks and good luck to you all!!! Prayers!!!
This is my third pregnancy.  According to the "chart" I should be going into my eighth week.  Last Thursday, I went in for my first OB appointment.  All the ultrasound showed was the uterine sac.  Seeing that empty hole on the screen really freaked me out.  The tec just said "you are done with me" and had my husband and I sit in a waiting room.  The doc took us into an office.  She said it MIGHT be that I'm not as far along as they thought.  They took blood and scheduled me for another ultrasound, which is actually tomorrow.  It's the waiting that is killing me.  Not knowing.  I made the mistake of doing internet research.  There are way too many negative things that could be going on.  I feel horrid and can't sleep.  Everyone says to relax and just wait.  Relax... yeah right.  I would not wish this feeling on anyone.  I don't know what I'm going to do if it's the same tomorrow and I have to  wait again.  
pls can anyone tell me this is ok, i had my embryo transfer on 10/29/12 and i did my first preganancy test 11/9 and repeated the test on 11/12 my doctor said i was definitely pregnant, so i continued with my pregesterone shots, estrace and vivelled dot patches, one week later i started bleeding i didnt not have any cramps prior to that, but when the blood started coming i felt a little uncomfortable. i went to the ER they did an Hcg test the result was 6 573.1 H,the pelvic test showed that my cervix was closed which the doctor said was a good thing but when they did and ultrasound they didnt see anything not even a sac.. the ER doctor said she feared i already miscarried before i got to the hospital but my fertility doctor said he will like to go by his own ultrasound i have an appointment with him on monday.i used only one pad through out and the blood has since stopped. im just so scared.
hello  everybody my name is bevon and  I  am  8weeks  and 6 days pregnant and all they see is a sack and  and they  said thar they can see anything. do you think something  is  wrong
This thread is very old, if you will scroll to the top you will see it was started in 2006.  You will have better luck getting responses to your questions if you ask your question as a new post.
where your hcg levels low and thats why they drew blood for hcg test?
iam going though the same thing right now! I am terrified!! this is my 3rd pregnancy and i did not get bad cramps with my first 2 like this one. BAd cramps, low back pain. doctor said he couldnt see anthing but also expected. and i am also gooing back for a third time to get tested on my hcg levels again. My Question to TURA :D  where your HCG levels not doubling like they should?? But is everything ok now?? Do to my lower back pain, cramps and hcg levels not increasing properly, He is calling it "Threatened Abortion" plz let me know how everything is turning out for you! id like to know even though this pregnancy sounds ruff it can turn out Good. Thank you so much
Hi I Am So Glad I Have Found This I Have Been Havin The Same Prob As Most Of You & I Am The Kinda Person That ALWAYS Thinks The Worst I Thought I Was 6 Weeks Pregnant And I Had Some Brown Discharge On Friday Night Went 2 The hospital al they could c was the sack bt no baby I was so worryd stil am they took bloods and I am dun back 2nite does anybody know how long it wil take 2 get my results back on hcg levels?
Hi everyone I need some advise so I took. Pregnancy test Sunday may 12 and it came out positive I took another one the next day and it also came out positive but I had sexual inter course with my husband on Sunday morning is it possible that's why it came out positive because that same day I had sex and yesterday Tuesday may 14 I went to the doctor to get a vaginal us and he said he couldn't see nothing and according to my last period I should be 6 weeks is that normal he told me the baby might be too small
hcan someone help pls im just over 5 wks pregnant and had a scan dne today but they cldnt c anythin on there my bloods are doubling. but  they think it cld be another etppic as i had 1 in the past and lost my right tube cos of it cld it be a normal pregnancy and they just scanned me to early?
same thing happened to me.   took blood test yesterday and have to go back for more blood work tomorrow.  what was your outcome?
I had the same thing happen. I had my hcg testing done on 11/21 they called yesterday 11/22 and let me know my hcg number was 1.74 and had me go back to do testing again. I just got a call letting me know it went up to 2.64 and set an appt for Monday for more hcg testing and an ultra sound.
im 5-6 weeks pregnant and the dr said all she could see was a sac... but if u wait till you 7-8 weeks youll start to see things trust me I was sooo worried too
in order for u too be pregnant u have to be over 5.0
my last period was may 15th and i took a test on june 7th after feeling sick and vomitting. the test was negative. i took another test on june 23 and 24th both are positve. i have been feeling pain in my lower right abdomin so i went n and they did hcg levels and two ultra sounds. the first us the doc said she thinks the sac is in the wrong place and th next the tech say she doesn't see a baby. I have not gotten my hcg levels back yet i'm stressed and confused i should be about five weeks according to my last period. anyone ever experienced this b4?
Everyone I have a question... On July 9 I was told by my doctor that I was pregnant and 7 weeks long.. Today July 22 I when to a follow up check up and they did in ultrasound and they couldn't see anything the doctor order a urine test and it came back negative.. Has anyone experience something like this?