Can a pregnancy blood test give a false negative?
I have just recently switched birth control pills (about 2months ago)and last month I had my regular period.  I have not missed a period yet, but for almost three weeks I have been nausea off and on all day long with indegestion and have been extemely tired.  I have taken three home pregnancy test and one out of the three was positive.  That was last Wed. night, Thurs. I went to the doctor and he did a blood test that came back negative.  The thing is I have never reacted to BCP this way before.  Could I be pregnant and getting a false negative from the doctor?  If anyone has any advice or suggestion I would sure apprecitate it.

Thank you!
im now 5 weeks pregnant i took 5 home pregnancy tests and they all came back positive, i went to the er and they told me i wasn't pregnant, i told them to take a blood test, after that he comfirmed that i was, so to you i would say don't give up hope. the same thing that happen to you they told me the same thing, but i knew i was pregnant, i just start sleeping alot and sore breast, as well as going to the rest room often.
good luck!!
hi! were u pregnant? i'm going throu the same situation, i took 2 urine tests and were negative, one blood test negative too, im late 1 week and never been late before.
I've have been having pregnancy symptoms nd i went to the e.r they said i have a virus but like i said what kind of virus makes u have pregnancy symptoms
Hi im kylie i had had my tubes cut n tied n i was bleeding for 22 mOnths straight n noone would help in the end i had dnc n i have been passing out n i had a bleed bout 3 weeks ago n a week after i felt realy yuck n my boobs hurt so i took a test and it said positive 2 days later another positive then on the 13 th of june 2012 i had to have scan thaw was requsted by byno befor i took test so the morning of scan i took a 3 rd it said positive but they couldnt see on scan the lady thinks i might just be to early so i went n had blood done n it said negitive so im asking could i just be early n blood didnt pic it up yet im so confused n the dr said having ur tibes done while having a c section isnt very affective so he think i am but just early so please what do i go by
My period is 10 days late but i had a little bleeding yesterday for da first time but it wasnt anymore bleeding after that and the hpt and bloodtest were both negative i want to be Pregnant . . . Do you all think i am ?
Ok so I am soo anxious. My last period ended on June 20th, so I am not due yet. I had unprotected sex on July 2,3,5, and 8. According to my trackers I would have been ovulating around the 2nd and 3rd with the 3rd being my most fertile days. I immediately (a few days later) felt "weird". Very moody, very emotional, couldn't sleep. After eating certain foods I felt like I was going to throw up, and I've been exhausted tired. Since today is only July 11 I thought it was WAY too soon to feel any of this yet, or even "be pregnant" yet. I took three pregnant tests, two negative and one had a very faint positive line which faded away after a minute? ( has this ever happened to anyone?) I have an appt to go see my doctor for a blood test today but I hear they're expensive and I'm afraid it's too early and will get a negative result for this reason, even if I am VERY very early pregnant. I would be thrilled and I have been googling my butt off seeking advice. I have just had this feeling and I can feel it in my bones I'm pregnant. I've been pregnant once before and had no idea I was until I took a test. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
hello ladies im in the same situation i have taken 2 HPT and one blood test all negative still have my period every month but i have been getting indigestion dizziness headaches very tired all the time standing on my feet make my legs and feet swell sometimes i have no appetite and feel really nausious  i have gained 25 lbs in the last 4 months and the worst part is that i feel A LOT of movement in my lower abdomen sometimes i feel like im going crazy dont know what to do this would be my 5th child and my 5th C Section any suggestions as to what to do
I am in the same boat as most. I have been pregnant 10 times but only have 3 living. I feel like I am now, but as with my last 2 daughters tests were always negative, including blood tests.  I have taken multiple tests every month to see if I am. they all come back negative. I had bloodwork done the other day and it was negative. my dr insists I am not pregnant. i go for a ct scan thursday morning. if i am pregnant this may harm the baby. if not i hope they can tell me why my stomach is a bit bigger, my boobs are bigger and sore i get naseas, weird cravings, emotional and all the symptoms of being pregnant.
Hello my name is Winter. I have not had my period since may 2012 I have irregular periods but lately they've been having a pattern of every other month. so I was supposed to have recieved my period in July. middle of July I was nausious and had and still having slight cramps. my breasts are tender. I am constipated, tired and get dizzy randomly. I am also enflamed down there...(all of my pregnant freinds and family seem to get enflamed to while preg.) im having some cravings and starting to dislike foods, I NEVER have pms symptoms. I went to get pregnancy blood tests three weeks ago and again two weeks ago but have recieved neg. results. my family has a weird history of having low preg. harmones. is it possible im pregnant or just imagining things? please help!
I would love to be preg. but would not mind if i was not.
you could be preg. the bleeding could have been spotting which occures during pregnancy, you should set up an ultrasound in a month or two
Where you pregnant?? :) I'm having the same issure
HELP! In August I didnt get my period, very unusually because its ALWAYS on time. I took a hand full of tests, all negative, and a blood test at the doctor, also negative. But I FEEL pregnant. Im sick all the time, my boobs are sore, I get fluttering my my stomach all the time, certain smells make it worse and I get dizzy and loss of brethe often. Just recently I started to bleed a darkish brown blood. I just wanna know if I am or not!
I have always had 28-30 day cycles with medium to heavy flow with red blood. This month I started spotting a pink discharge on the 6th,period wasnt due until the 12th. The pink dicharge turned  brown on the 10th.on the 12th I took a urine test,it came up negative.on the 13th did a blood test which also came back negative.the 14th I had heavy bloodflow with small clots and on the 15th through today very very small amounts of pinkish brown discharge spotting again. I feel dizzy,so tired I can barely keep my eyes open,and ive been crampy all month.does anyone know if I could still be pregnant,even after my negative results? It would have been 13 days after ovulation when the tests were done. Thank you.....
Hey ny last period was July 3 nd since then I haven't got my period again I when to the hospital nd I got a blood test but it was negative I did a couple of home test nd they were negative too a few of my girls been telling I look pregnant specially cuz of my belly I have a feeling but the I think about it nd maybe its jst in my head Could a blood test be Negative??
hi im in the same boat i have a thyroid problem and im also on the depo the doctor has just prescribed me something for my neausea had blood test was negative but still have pregnancy symptoms.
hi im 19 days late. had blood work done at my drs and came back neg. Took a pg home test and have a very very faint postitve. Im not sure what to think ? Any advice would be great. Thank you
It most definitely can happen. Here's my story. I knew I was pregnant 3 weeks before I ever got a positive on any test. I had 3 negative blood tests, 1 negative pee test at the dr office, as well as probably 10 negative hpt's. I am now 12 days late and just now got a positive pee test at the dr's. I knew I was pregnant and it wasn't in my head. Just goes to prove trust your body and don't take no for an answer when no one knows your own body better than yourself. And blood tests can be wrong! I have 2 other children and know how my body is when I am pregnant and was right on this one too. Hope this helps.
I've been 49days late, my breast is very sore and I'm picking up weight. I did a blood test and n pregnancy test and both where neg,I'm feeling preggies but I don't know any more. Is it just me or what. Please help.
were you pregnant? I have that SAME situation and cant figure out whats going on!
I missed my period for about 2 months and i started having the nausea and also feeling so tired. I did three home pregnancy tests and then a blood test. all neg. but the thing is my stomach area is already swelling as if im two months along. so now i am going for a ultra sound. as for the test and all that are not always as accurate as the say they are.
K I'm trying not to freak out.  I just had a baby less then 3 months ago and I totally feel pregnant. Cramping and a little spotting, to which I experienced with each of my other pregnancies.   Ive not had my period as i a nursing and The blood test was negative.  So I really don't know what to think.  Get another test in a week or two?
I have been on my period but it only lasted for 4 days! i have been having pains in my lower stomach and the side near my hip!! I keep having dizzy spells and feeling sick i also havnt been eating as much as i used to but i have been sleeping alot, i done a test 2 weeks ago before i came on my period and it came back negitive does anyone know what this could be pregnant
I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, 6 months ago or so. My OBGYN put me on progesterone, 10 per month, and it treated my PCOS, dissolved the cysts, and I was told it would make me more fertile being on it. I have been taking progesterone since August, or Sept 2012, and it's now February 11, 2013. I am 23 days late (since I completed my progesterone pills), and have been having serious symptoms of pregnancy. I had 2-3 early tests I took at home with a plus on them, and all negative after that. I had a blood test taken on Friday the 8th, 21 days, and it came back negative. I feel great, I feel pregnant, and I have a LONG list of symptoms, just as most of the women have posted on here. I have been following up consistently with both OBGYN care, and my regular physicians care. I diagnosed myself as insulin resistant (Type 2 diabetic) also, around that time. One symptom that I have that seems to be strange is that my blood sugar keeps dropping dramatically. Typically pregnant women have the opposite happen. It's like I need to eat for two, I seem to have to eat quite a few more carbohydrates to keep from going hypoglycemic. It's frustrating, because we are trying for a baby, but we would be happy just as we are, it's not a requirement of our marriage and happiness of life to have a baby, we have put it in God's hands, if He feels it is right for us to have more children. I have a 14 year old, and his father died while I was pregnant. I have not tried to have a pregnancy again until the  past 5 years with my second husband now. The PCOS caused me to have so many health issues, not being diagnosed for so many years, H BP H BS, weight gain, lack of ability to lose weight. Since I began treated PCOS, I have lost 40 pounds, my blood pressure is the lowest it has been in way more years than I can count,  I brought my A1C blood sugar level from 8.1 down to 5.8 in just a matter of a few months! I have been managing my "diabetes" with NO meds, and still low sugar levels. I believe I am 3 weeks pregnant, give a few days. I am going to my OBGYN tomorrow, so we will see if she has any other explanation to these weird test results, and why this is happening to me. I pray that I am indeed pregnant though. Wish I could definitively say so right now! Any one have any ideas why we have such weird happenings in our bodies?
Follow-up on my comments above, I also had oral surgery, removing a tooth 3 weeks ago, and have been on antibiotics. My urgency in getting a definitive answer stems from the fact that I am diabetic (supposedly, now I wonder...). I want to be sure that if i am pregnant, that I take the precautions that are necessary to keep the baby. I am doing everything as if I am pregnant, just in case, because I would never do anything to endanger the life of an unborn child.  I wonder if I just have so little hormonal levels to be read. I am going to go with my gut, and I will post again, after I get my answers. I hope that you all get peace as well.
I think I am in the same situation, or very close to the same situation as you. Since I began taking progesterone, I have had cycles very regularly, on time, the day after I stop taking them. It is the only thing I am taking tho, nothing else. I have an OBGYN appt. tomorrow, I hope she has better news to help me understand all of this. Best wishes
I'm having the same thing my period was a week late I started bleeding but with no cramps not heavy or with blood clots(uterine lining) went to doc n blood test was negative except I know my body it would be my first baby I just need help, I have tha symptoms just not the results I want to hear HELP
I am also is the same situation i am now 9 days
Late and had a blood test and it was negative and urine tests and all three negative my partner and i have been trying for about three months and i am never late on my period and i have had no signs of my period aka cramps but have got sensitive nipples this friday coming up if i still havent gotten my period then i havr to go back to the doctors for more bloods i wish all you ladies the best of luck i have my fingers crossed :)
im 16 and ive been having the symptoms, the last time i has intercourse was 2 months ago, im scaredim pregnant, ive had two negatives but something is just different, i feel the same as a lot of pregnant woman have described, what should i do?
Hi. Im also freaking out! We have been trying for 4 years; had 2 mc - both around 6 weeks I had to have D&C for recent one. Now I totally feel pregnant. I think conception was 22.02.13 when I was fertile, then husband been away since then. As I have had normal periods since (although the last one was really bad cramping and only lasted 3 days) I was waiting till he gets home in 3 days to try again. I really want children, but I dont think my body is tricking me into thinking Im pregnant, as Ive been waiting for hubby to come home. Now I have major pregnancy symptoms. Extreme nausea, fatigue, recently started being sick if I eat anything other than chicken soup and today my bbs are sore. 4 hpt negative, dr took full bloods for thyroid etc and all negative and she did preg test which was negative. Dr no idea whats wrong... What do I do now? Its driving me crazy. Should I get u/s just incase?
Hi there, i am very depro at this stage.

I have been 18 days late (are never ever late), done 2 HPT's and both negative, went for a blood test at the doctor and also came back negative. I have experienced little bit of spotting a week ago and feel every now and then nauscious and get headaches more often.

Please can someone help.
Is it possible that the blood test can be faulty? I was really excited about this because its my first time and I have been trying for the last 3 years now and after the negative blood test, it made me feel down in the dumps again.

I have PCOS too... the docs have said to keep trying and that nothing is certain and to come back after trying for 6 months if nothing has happened... Im 55 days since my last period and 27 days late... ive been feeling very nauseous and a very bad metallic taste in my mouth... taken 4 home pregnancy test and all came negative.. and for the last 2 days having a severe lower back ache which is unbearable.. the doctor took blood 2 days ago and i have a scan for tomorrow... i dunno whats going on
My last period was February 4 2013. In I a take home pregnancy test in it came out positive
then I was at the doctors last month in take a blood test in it came out negative can I still be pregnant?
im in the same boat as most people here! my last period was feb 13th i am now 3months late and have never been this late before. i have dont lots of hpt and have all came bak negative i have just recemtly done a blood test at my doctors and they said everything was normal im not pregannt! im also having a few not many symptoms like: bloating, constipation, cramping tiredness and nausea and very sore boobs especially when its cold! i now dont know what to do or what to belive? is there still a possibility i could be pregnant? why havent i had a period in over 3 months?
how did you figure out u were pregnant if all the test came out negative?
Hi. Just wondering if your period came? A lot of times if you exercise a lot or jog/run that can delay your period. I know several women this happened including myself. One friend couldn't get pregnant and I knew she ran 5 to 10 miles a day. I told her to start walking and in a month or so she got pregnant. So if you want to get pregnant stop running, if not keep it up. Anyway, don't know if thats helpful.
i feel like im in the same boat as you! I'm bout 3 weeks late and thats never been me to do this. I'm having all kinds symtoms! Fatigue, dizziness, nausa, threw up few times, boobs sore for 2 weeks. Something isnt right. One test i did showed very faint but posative. Went to dr first showed like it was trying to posative but not all the way. did another negative, an just did blood test same day and called this am said everything looked normal, nothing off and im not pregnant. I dont understand why id b feeling all these symptoms and late late period when iv never had any of this before, very weird. I just want answers.feel discouraged.
Hi can someone please help me. I just took my first blood pregnancy test today and it said I was off by 2 and I don't know what that means. I have taken multiple HPTs also a few clinic tests and the very first one came out positive but now everyone is coming out negative that I take but I know I'm pregnant because my body tells me that I am and I even have a bump. I've tried getting a doctors appointment but they all say I'm not pregnant due to the urine tests coming out negative. My the way my stomach is protruding I should be almost their. Please help me I'm really confused.
I had a negative blood pregnancy test in hospital and 3 negative hpt's. I was 3 1/2 weeks late on my period and very symptomatic! I just KNEW I was pregnant.. even though all the tests came out negative! As a woman, you know your body! I waited a week and a half and then re-tested! This time I received a very faint positive result on a hpt. I had taken it at night, so I re-tested in the morning with the first morning urine. Very dark positive! Some women's bodies just don't build the hcg hormone as quickly as others and require more time to produce enough of it to test positive for pregnancy! Good luck all!
I am also having pregnant symptoms. I'm having const. And hightened smells, headaches, cramps, low back pain, gas, bloating, have to pee often, tired as hell. But I took a home preg test n a blood test and both came out negative. I just feel different somehow. Like somethings not right. I'm 25 and this will hopefully be my first pregnancy but I'm soooo confused please help me.  Plus I'm on ssi and will have to move if I'm pregnant and buy a car so I need to kno asap HELP ME PLEASE?
Thank you for sharing your story.  I have pcod too! I went to the dr last week because my period didn't come the whole month of November which is the first time that has ever happened for the past couple of years. I am incredibly tired every day to the point where it seems I sleep or very sleepy the majority of the day. I've never felt this exhausted in my life,  and there's no other reason why I should feel this tired. Anyway, my pregnancy test was negative, and for some odd reason she didn't offer a bloodtest, but I'm going to demand to have one done asap! I'm kind of afraid because the dr said if my cycle doesn't start by the middle of this month, she's going to give me meds to make me ovulate, but I don't want to start anything without knowing completely sure I'm not preggo.
This exact same thing happened to me! I hadn't missed a period in a very lobg time, but I missed all of Nov. and still had not gotten one. Went to tge dr and she gave me a preg test that was neg. She didn't give me a blood test which I thought was very odd, but I was so disappointed from the - urine test that it didn't cross my mind to ask for one. I'm going to call and schedule a blood test asap. I have been EXTREMELY fatigued to the point where all I want to dois sleep, and that's so unlike me.
Hi I have been trying to get pregnant for a while, I had a blood test on wed the 4th because I'm having endometriosis surgery on fri. It was negative.  I was suppose to start on the 5 th  today is the 9 th. Last night I started cramping like I was starting, I went to the bathroom, all that was there was a spot slightly tented brown like from old blood it was very fant. But I have yet to start. My breast are extremely sensitive, nause on and off. Does anyone have any ideas, could I be pregnant? Calling my dr Monday
hi my name is tiffany i had my last period in oct 17 and it lasted for 4 days which is normal for me and i havent had a period since i took two home test that was positive and had a blood test that was negitive i have symptoms of being prego heart burn feeling sick to my stomache diherreaha could i be pregnate even though i got a negitive blood test ive only missed one period should i wait to push the issue futher with the doctor
The Jen989, sounds like we got the same problem. I too have the mirina IUD and I'm positive I'm about 4 months pregnant. I've done 4 home tests two of which were positive (first two) and two negative (last two), and also a blood test at the doc and came back negative. I have gained weigh most in my stomach which is really odd because thats the part of me that was always the skinny/flat part of me. I'm never been an eater but now everything taste good. I feel movement in my stomach daily, plus I have many other symptoms of pregnancy. This would be my first baby, and though I feel totally really, I'm scear of what the IUD might do the the baby if there is one growing inside me. I have a doc appoiment for this week to get my IUD removed so all I can do now is wait:(
BLOOD PREGNANCY TESTS CAN BE WRONG!!  This is known as a "Cryptic Pregnancy".  Women who experience this NEVER get a positive test. I have created a support group for this on Facebook called "Cryptic Pregnancy Support Group".
How did u eventually find out you pregnant?
Hi, Which blogs and stories do you recommend reading regarding negative blood tests and finding out later they are pregnant? I'm feeling VERY pregnant but my blood test came back negative yesterday... I can't understand what else my symptoms would be attributed to if I'm not pregnant... Help! Any blogs or stories would be helpful in understanding what's going on! Thanks a lot.
Hey i'm kinda in the same boat as everyone else, except i haven't gone for a blood test yet,
now my period have been irregular for about 4 years now, and my boyfriend and i have stopped using protection in january and i had a period the 2ond-10 and missed it again til april had it from the 7th-10th and now here it is almost july and i have yet to get my period again, i've had quite a few of the typically symptoms and recently in my lower stomach i feel what i have no other words to explain as popcorn/taps sometimes it'll feel like a bubble of gas but i can't relieve it. i've taken plenty of hpt and all negative. i'm going to get a blood test done tomorrow . helpppp.../:
I went to the hospital sunday. They did a blood test and it came back saying I was pregnant. The next day I went to the clinic for prenatals. They did a blood test and sent it off. The results for that one was negative. How is that possible?