Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant Community
Unprotected sex during likely ovulation. Plan B taken 3 days later. Pre...

WELCOME TO THE "AM I PREGNANT" COMMUNITY: This is a support community where women can ask, "Am I Pregnant" questions and discuss pregnancy concerns with other members who share the same interest.

Unprotected sex during likely ovulation. Plan B taken 3 days later. Pregnancy chances?

Somebody, please help.

- My period always last 7 days but alternates between arriving every 27-32 days.
- I last had my period beginning on April 21st, 2009... ending on April 27th, 2009.
- I had unprotected sex April 30th-May 2nd
- I took Plan B Monday, May 4th

Now, according to online ovulation calculators... I was SUPER fertile during the window of time in which I had unprotected sex. Withdrawal was the only method used.

My concerns:

1. Plan B works to PREVENT ovulation. But if I was already most likely ovulating during my period of sexual activity, it seems like fertilization would have been inevitable. How affective will this Plan B be?

2. Also, it says the drug is effective up to 3 days after unprotected sex... which would technically "put me in the clear" for the sex I had on May 1st and May 2nd, but not for April 30th....

Anybody? Please? Informed input?
I actually think that Plan B is designed to prevent implantation, not ovulation. And implantation usually happens 5-10 days after ovulation, I believe. So, you should be fine.
The packaging says:

"Plan B acts PRIMARILY by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It MAY prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization). If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation). If a fertilized egg is implanted prior to taking Plan B, Plan B will not work"
Also, the Oxford journal says:

"Plan B, or emergency contraception, works similarly. When taken within 72 after unprotected sex, Plan B works to prevent ovulation. If ovulation has already occurred, and fertilization is able to occur, pregnancy results"

If you can't tell... I'm completely freaking out over here.
Did you end up becoming pregnant?
I'm wondering also if u r pregnant, since I'm going through the same situation as you.
hey cutiepie60 and DavyC34, did u guys end up being pregnant? cuz im  on the same boat right now as u guys were back in Aug
Im wondering too.  Cause im in the same boat.  Just it was unprotected and he didnt withdrawl (withdrawal). I took it 24 hours or less later.  But it was pretty much my most fertal day.  How long does the nauseousness last from the pill and does it make you feel a light cramp every so often?  
UHG! Were any of you pregnant? because now I am in the same boat!
hmmm...well the same thing happened to me.. i guess the time we had our "accident" i was ovulating and according to charts i was very fertile but i took the plan b pill a little over a day later not knowing..and  now i have a positive result. so my question is... how effective is plan b and is it not effective when your ovualting??
my husband and I used withdrawl (withdrawal) for 8 years and never got pregnant. Then one night we got lazy and he didn't withdraw and guess what--I got pregnant (we are very happy to have our daughter now, but were shocked at the time).
The point is, withdrawal worked for us...
Okay, I am bookmarking this site, and I will come back to you.  I am in EXACTLY the same boat.  Totally curious about Plan B's post-ovulatory effectiveness (and by curious I mean I'm flipping out).  Plan B (more specifically brand name: Next Choice (TM)) makes a claim to help prevent pregnancy by "working in a similar way to birth control...mainly by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary".  I suspect the egg has been released--that I was ovulating and most fertile during the time of intercourse.  In fact, I KNOW this. It has been about 42 hours since the slip-up, and I have taken both of the pills--the nurse at the clinic suggested it by saying it would be fine to take both pills in a single dose, should I so choose. And I did.  There is that sneaky little phrase staring me in the face: "it may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg...or by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb)." Does that mean it is be successful of either but they haven't yet studied which it MAY be? Or can this mean that this may also work, but we're not sure because we haven't tested this far yet.  Tricky, tricky.  So here it is:  I feel that my chances are high.  Really high.  Had a dream last week (pre-fiasco) about being pregnant.  And my ovulation cycle aligns itself with the lunar cycle at the full moon.  And boy was it a full moon--this month, the super-moon.  The closest to the earth in 18 years moon.  Worst of all is this:  while it would totally suck right NOW to be pregnant--its not the right time, what about my goals, blah, blah, blah--I can't shack this deep internal desire to bear a child... what a wonderful gift he/she would be! So yup, be back in two weeks.  
It seems everyone is worried about the thing here.  I one of yours.  

I totally get tht when people are worried, they look up everywhere they can, and then get their answers by either getting their periods or a positive pregnancy test.  Since they got their answers, there's no need for them to come back to old searches or inquieries.  Thanks Namid for bookmarking this page and letting us know is you got pregnant.

I got pregnant after takin Plan B last year.  Sometimes, you take plan B after unprotected sex and relaise later that it was the previous intercourse that knocked you up.  I can't exactly remember where I was in my cycle...
This time, I took plan B the day after ovulation, having had sex on the day of.  Now I start to worry that the time before that, which was 3 days before ovulation, might have resulted in fertilization.  I'm still trying to figure out if Plan B will prevent implatation from an intercourse that happened 5 days prior.

I will let you know as soon as I know.

There's a great study that I just quickly went through (in French - sorry!)
If any of you understand french:
http://www.trdd.org/MAP_FR.HTM
Well, I said that I give you updates... (even if this post is sooo old and noone seems to read it).

I am now at 15 dpo and no sign of AF.  I began having sore boobs last night, and the pain in even bigger today.

I forgot to mention in  my previous post that I had very light spotting for 1 1/2 day on 7dpo and 8dpo.  It was very light pink/brown and was only slightly noticed on tp when I wiped.  

I did an HTP last night and got a negative result.

I'll keep you posted when something more conclusive happens.

I had my periods, they ended up being 1 day late, which is no big deal.
I'm not sure if plan B prevented implantation or if I simply just didn't get pregnant at all...

Good luck
Never got pregnant.  Period came 5 days after taking the morning after pills (came a week early).  No major cramps, no symptoms like the package predicted.  I actually got my period twice that month if I recall.  The second time it was pretty light.  I think my body was just re-synching.  Way to go morning after pill!!!
ok help, we had sex on july 6th, the last day of my period,we have been together 13 years and he did not pull out..it all went inside me, i called the dr and they called in plan B three days later.. i took it as soon as it was avaliable. anyway today is july 27th and i still do not have my period!! i am getting a little nervous here!! am i pregnant? is it too soon to take a test?
Hello Everyone,

I really have got myself in a mess, I need advise, support or just someone to listen with out judging.  Husband and I were separted and I started dating someone else.  After months of being apart, we started working on geting back together. I broke everything off with my boyfriend (having break-up sex on July 8th) I took the Plan B pill 3 hours later.  Had unexpected sex with my husband on the 10th.  Now I am 5 weeks pregnant!!!  I don't know who I am pregnant by.  Is it possible that the Plan B pill killed ex's chance of getting me pregnant?  I really want this to be my husband's baby, we are working on getting our family back together and this could be the start we need.  I ask that you pray for me and my family.  Can anyone shed some light???
I had sex on the very last day on my period and I took the plan b pill within the 58 hours of the 72 hours u have to take it. Am I at risk of being pregnant
Were any of you pregnant??
I had unprotected sex on my ovulation day. If I took Plan B about 24 hours after & then after taking it had unprotected sex again did it work?
i had sex while ovulating i took plan b within 12 hours. Its been two weeks and i am NOT pregnant. I hope that helps some of you i know i was on here and worried for the past few weeks good luck.
I wasn't pregnant at that time, my most fertile day.  But did get pregnant later on, planned.  It was the day after my menstration stopped, though my doctor told me that was impossible. So you can get pregnant on your least fertile day. I'm proof. :)
Just gave birth to a wonderful little girl, and yes, she was conceived after using Plan B :) I took it within 24 hours of having unprotected sex, and it was the only time that my husband and I had unprotected sex. 3 weeks later when my period still did not arrive, I went to the doctor and he confirmed that I was in fact pregnant. So yes, pregnancy can still occur after using Plan B even when using it correctly, as long as it's your fertile time of the month. I must say, even the doctor was baffled by this.
Will Plan B work 2 days after I ovulated?
Im on the same boat as everyone else, i had unprotected sex yesterday & i recently just found out that i was either fertile or ovulating at that time. I was on the 12th day after my period. I did take the Plan B pill that exact night but i am still worried. & yeah my bf didn't ejaculate in me or at all that one time but its possible that precum can get you pregnant so I'm still patiently waiting.. I'll keep everyone updated. I'm not ready for a child but if its happens, then there will be alot to think about.
Are you pregnant? I am exactly on the same boat right now.
Well, I AM NOT pregnant. I had my period this morning after having sex during my fertile days (during or after ovulation) with and without condom. Took plan B 19 hours after that.

However, I did a lot of research last night and I found some really good articles that explain that the best evidence is that Plan B works to prevent ovulation or to prevent the oocyte (the “egg”) from being released from the ovary and passing to the fallopian tube.This is why the pill is best (and only) functional before ovulation. In nature, the egg only lives about 24 hours and sperm can live from 2 to 5 days. If the egg is not released, is over 24 hours old, if the sperm cannot get to the egg or if they are dead or incapacitated, there can be no fertilization.

The only post-ovulation effect that has been proven that could prevent pregnancy also prevents fertilization. Levonorgestrel causes the mucus in the cervix to be thick (so sperm have a hard time getting to the uterus and then the fallopian tube where the egg is) and by making the sperm unable to penetrate the zona pellucida, the covering and nurturing cells around the oocyte or egg.

Biopsies of the uterus of women who have ovulated in spite of taking Plan B do not show any changes that would prevent implantation of the embryo. The blood flow and lining of the uterus is normal.
Also there were other studies in 2007, 2009 and 2010 in Australia and Chile showed that the morning-after pill was only effective in women who had not ovulated. The rate of women of pregnancy for women who had ovulated already and used Plan B was the same rate as people who hadn't used the pill at all. Plan B does not block implantation.

So again, according to this the only post-ovulatory effect of the pill are reduced that MIGHT prevent fertilization. I took plan B during or after ovulation, he never eyaculate inside me but I was freaking out because sometimes precum could have semen in it. I had my period one day after of the expected day so I think I took the pill when there was not much to do.

Here are the articles, hope these might help to some of you. Knowledge is power.

http://lifeethics.org/2006/09/02/review-plan-b-how-it-works-and-doesnt-work/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57448998-10391704/investigation-reveals-morning-after-pill-may-not-prevent-implantation/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/health/research/morning-after-pills-dont-block-implantation-science-suggests.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.womenscenter.com/how_does_ec_work_faq.html
I'm on the same boat, I had unprotected sex the day of after ovulating but took the plan b hours after .... Help?
I had sex the fith day of my cycle my period started july 23rd 2012 i had the sex july 27 2012 condom slipped off I pacnicked and was in shock I have a typical monthly cycle I took plan b within the first hour I was in hysterics it worked I took a pregnancy test a week n a half later n it came out negative about 2 weeks later on the 8th of augest I had sex with someone else though and I'm wondering if it made me more fertile because I got pregnant from tht incident on the 23rd of augest all my pregnancy tests came up with a very light positive sign lady at the clinic said it meant I was about two weeks and I got ultrasounds tht day and a couple days later and a Sac didn't pop up so they scheduled me for september n finally saw my sac (you can see them around 18 to 23 days after conception) and I went to the place with the very best ultrasound equipment a week or two later and they said according to the equipment I had concieved the 10th of augest.  Plan b worked for me and if youre gonna take it take it take it within the first couple hrs of intercourse and be very careful a week or two following I read online it can make you more fertile afterwards
I took plan b a few short hours after unprotected sex and got pregnant.  Waste of $50.  Now there is an unplanned pregnancy but being responsible now and having baby.
Did you end up being pregnant???
My period was on the 12th and i had unprotected sex while i was fertilized with my husband he came inside me and i took plan b two days after sex. & now im being such a cry baby im so emotional Could i be pregnant?
Jesus, are we all on a boat or a website? lol
Oh man it seems like it is in the air or something. Ok so i screwed up really bad. I have bee. Abstinent for over a year and started seeing a guy we didn't use any protection the first time i tracked my fertility dates and found that the unprotected sex occurred within a couple of days of possible fertility so i took plan b this was with in 48 hrs. Then a few days later we had sex again and the condom was destroyed after he came as in it broke like wide open before he came with out us realizing it. I took plan again with in 2 hours then a week and a half later after having a short period that was 2 weeks early from The plan b i assume, we had sex again and i told him to be sure to pull out but he said he lost control and he came in me so i went and got plan b again and took it within 12 and a half hours. Since i took it twice in a few days and then had a light period i am not sure how that has affected my ovulation schedule. Also i have an appointment day after tomorrow to get regular birth control. How high is my risk of being pregnant from these events?
Ok some and my boyfriend has sex,with a condom... but when he pulled out the condom was half out all ready... I took plan b two days later.. and I took it while I felt the egg traveling... idk if it reached yet but I  felt it moving down.. now its a week later and I haven't started my period (my date allway changes tho) and im worried... I am 16 and I don't want my parents knowing unless I know for sure... and im so stressed and scared! someone please please help! :( if needed contact me at, ***@****. Thank you so much! for reading! I really need help!
1. Had sex on the 14th and 15th day of my cycle (usually 35 days)
2. Used withdrawal method, and he did *** outside, but I'm afraid of getting prego with precum.
5. After 8 hours, took only first dose of Emergency contraceptive since I was too sick to take the second dose

What are my chances of getting pregnant?