Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant Community
questions about pregnancy after depo

WELCOME TO THE "AM I PREGNANT" COMMUNITY: This is a support community where women can ask, "Am I Pregnant" questions and discuss pregnancy concerns with other members who share the same interest.

questions about pregnancy after depo

So i have been on the depo shot for 2 years i was suppose to get the shot in june of this year but decided i was finally going to get off it because of the weight gain and because me and my husband would like to try for a baby. I have heard that it can take months to years to be able to get pregnant after getting off the depo. I know everyones body is different but feeling i need some answers. When i started the depo i immediately quit having periods, and still dont have my periods now that im off the shot. They say if you miss your period is a sign of pregnancy but how can you tell when you havent had one in 2 years? Also i was told i had bacterial vaginosis and for some reason it wont go away even after taking meds. I was told that could also make things difficult to concieve (conceive). But for some odd reason here lately the past week i keep feeling sick off and on, every time i sneeze i feel like im going to pee and sometimes accidently pee a little bit, i get weird small headaches,my stomach is tender to put pressure on and hard to lay on, im always feeling tired and constantly drained,and ive been having alot of moments where i lash out at people and my temper is short. I havent taken a home pregnancy test yet but held off on it because when i felt like this before and took one it came out negative and when i had a blood test taken they told me i had a thyroid but didnt really say whether i was pregnant or not and that was something i told them to check for. Please help, i think im pregnant but confused.
Tags: Pregnancy
I was on depo for 6 years when I decided to stop getting it bc my doctor said she doesn't like to keep her patients on it for more than 5 years. she told me it would take at least 6-18 months to get pregnant after stopping. I was going to let the depo get out of my system before I started something new. I started spotting about a month later which lasted a day and went away so I didn't think it was my period because it also can take awhile for your period to start again. I found out I was pregnant about 2 months after stopping depo. now I'm 33+ expecting a boy in Aug. so sometimes it doesn't take that long to get pregnant but I would test. but if you haven't got your period back I'm not sure if you could be. but good luck! I hope you get what you want.
I was only Depo for one shot and then started birth control to get my cycles back on track. it took almost 2 years for me and my husband to get pregnant
I would take a test just to make sure. If its negative then next month or when ever try to get to know your period from what I've been told and my own experience after birth control and having a baby your period can and probably will change, my period was always 28 days lasting 3 days light to medium flow. After I had my son in January of '09 it took about 3 months to get my period back and up till nov '11 my period was irregular and very heavy lasting 5-7 days. And that was without takin any bc for those 2 years.
I was on depo for 4yrs it took me 7months after I became prego and I'm now 15weeks.. Everybody is different they say it can take from 7months to 1yr to pregnant but as soon as you start getting your period two months or so back to back your start back releasing eggs but I would take a test you would never no til you try.. But good luck and I hope this helps. Baby Dust!!!!!
I was on depo for 6 years. I didn't get my period for a year. Finally my doctor gave me mess to get my cycle back and on track. 2 yrs later I miscarried. That was 2010. Today, I'm 6 weeks & 4 days and saw the baby's heart beat! My friend was on depo, quit after 1 yr, and became pregnant the next month. Everyone is different. Know your body and keep ur Doc informed! Things will work out. Take a test.
I was on depo for 2 years…got off of it back in 2005 due to weight gain, I didn't get my period back for almost a whole year after getting off of it.Alot of the "symptoms" or "signs" you are having may be due to hormones trying to balance back out. The Depo is very harsh on the body and one of the hardest birth control methods to get all the hormones from the birth control out of the system, it takes longer than any other birth control. It took me 2 years to fall pregnant after stopping the depo, but everyone is different…take a test and see what it says it should be accurate or get a blood test to count HCG in the blood

Good luck
Thank you guys sooo much for the advice. I went to the health clinic and got a urine test done. It came out negative but the lady said sometimes it doesnt show in your urine right away to maybe get a blood test which some of you have suggested. I think im going to get one done. The lady also said if i havent had a period since i started the shot and havent had one since ive been off that you have to wait usually until your period comes back to get pregnant, does anyone have any insight on this? My husband and i tried for a kid before i went on depo and we had trouble concieving, now i am afraid that since im off it and the depo causes more complications how much longer will it take to have our very first child.
I agree with the lady at the clinic. I'm not sure but I don't think you can get pregnant until your period starts again because depo makes you stop releasing eggs and stops you from ovulating. And if you haven't got your period back or even any spotting you may not be ovulating again so you can't get pregnant. I would talk to you doctor because they can run tests and see if you see ovulating again.
my girlfriend took the depo shot and shes been getting upset cuz she wants to get pregnant how should i help and do you ladies have a tips
MY SISTER GOT PREGNANT ON THE DEPO!!! HER SON IS NOW 5!!....I WOULD GO TO THE DOCTOR FOR A BLOOD TEST, ALSO IF YOUR NOT GETTING YOUR PERIOD YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR DOCTOR SO THEY CAN GIVE U SOMETHING TO HAVE ONE
Did you get lower abdominal pains? Liss817? I was on the depo for two years, i came4 off a month ago. I have had unprotected sex even though i got told it will be a minimun of 6 months until i could fall pregnant then last week i had brown dischange but only for a day and now lower abdominal pains could this be my period? The docter told em to take the pill to force periods but i am not sure i want to put more into my body to be honest. x
I received my first depo shot august 23 I'm overweight buh I had a baby 6 months ago unfortunetily he died and I'm not going back for my second shot because I wanna try for another baby are there any answers in helping me get one depo **** outta my system

I received one depo shot in august I'm not going back for a second because ima try for a baby buh I'm alike overweight buh how long should one depo shot stay in my body
i have been on the depo for 16 years, about 5 years ago i stopped the depo for six to seven months and i came out pregant, i had an abortion, and got back on the depo, on september 17 i was suppose to get my depo, but i didnt and now my body feels very bad i feel like i need the shot, i havnt got my period yet, and it has been like 3 week, i have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend, and im sceard i might be pregant, my brest feels tender, my back sometimes hurts, i wake up real hungry, when i have sex i feel like my insides is swollen, im 35 years old, when i stop the depo 5 years ago my period come as soon as i stop the depo nor i had these crasy feelings before, i didnt have any problem, now i dont now if should of waited to get my period then have sex, but i didnt, what should i do, can i be pregant or is te depo thats making feel this way,
OK so i decided to go on depo and now that im off i had intercourse and now i been feeling all these weird things with my body. I got my period two month after getting off depo and i think im pregnant. i read all this info online and it said when the"egg" implants into your uterus you get spotting called implantation blood which means the baby is going to start developing and its been 5 days since... Idk what to think about it anymore. could this be that im pregnant or could this be that im just getting period symptoms but havnt gotten my period since? what should i do
This is how i feel like i was on depo only twice and didn't go back for my third because i wanted to start a family. I am 18 now so i guess my body is pretty young and i got my period 2 months after stopping depo. After intercourse i been feeling sick for the past 3 weeks now but supposedly the fetus been in the uterus lining for about 5 days which was when i spotted Nov-1 st and today is the 5th.. can this be that im pregnant i feel all the symptoms but idk if it could be something off of depo or that im really pregnant. On my birthday Nov-14 i guess if im correct i will be 2 weeks.. what should i do ?
I have my baby Sep 8 I had sex 3 week I took a test it came out negative and I took for the first time the depo shot they didn't do a pee test the just gave me the shot I feel like throwing up I get sleepy light headed why I need help and the doctor want me to go Wednesday to see him to go over my pap smear ???? :/
I was on depo for two years. Took my body two additional years to get my metabolism and periods back to normal. Then a year after that, I got preggers. I'm 18 weeks now(:
i been on the depo shot like onced and when i did stop my period was light n it been on  like four months my last period was october n after dat i didnt see it at all my breaste get big back is hurt n always hungry.i pregnant i goin to c my doctor tomorow good luck with me
ok so me and my fiance are trying to concieve (conceive) and i new from the very beginning it was going to be hard to tell because i do not get my period because of my birth control. but i stopped my birth control about a little over a week ago and we had unprotected sex twice since i stopped it where he went inside, and many times before i stopped my birth control he also went inside. since about 3 days ago i have been having symptoms of pregnancy, like cramps that feel like period cramps, always drowsy, n food is not appealing to me anymore. i went and got a pregnancy test and it came back negative. since i dont get my period i didnt no if anyone could help me on how long i should wait to take another one, or if there could be something else going on?? please help
I was in depo for 4 years. It has taken  2 1/2 years for me to get pregnant i am now 6 weeks. After coming off it was almost a year before i had a menstrual cycle. Good luck!
I was on depo for 2 years and then quit cause we wanted a baby and it 6 months for my period to get regular agin and 18 months after that to the month to get prego. It can take a while and other people just a month or 2.good luck
I was on depo for 2 years n it took me 3yrs to become pregnant ...i will never go back to the shot ever. My doc said he was even surprised i was able to get pregnant at all after all the issues i had after the shot.
hi i just want to ask please do answer me cause im scared. i have a baby last november 2011. im very thin then after my doc tell me to do depo to gain weight. i took it by sept 2012 to dec. 2012 my doc told me to come back by dec.15 to have the next shot but i didnt come. because i didnt know too much info about this depo. in 12weeks i get 10weeks menstruation thats y i didnt go back.  then after my depo expired me and my husband do withdrawal.my question is . if i stopped using depo without going back to my doc or using any contraceptives but we do withdrawal will i be pregnant. im not yet ready for my next baby. thanks
I first got on depo in Feb. 2012 I didn't go back for my second dose so I stayed off til Sept. 2012 and didn't go back for my second dose again . Now I'm trying to get pregnant my cycle have came back and it's irregular it's usually stay on for 5 days before I got on depo now it been on since jan. 11th I can't calculate my cycle length because of it bein irregular so therefor I don't know my fertile and ovulation dates either. What can I do what should I do HELP! Please
I first started the depo in June 2011 after a miscarriage. I was on it for about 9 months, which is 3 shots. I then had a period that lasted about 20 days in April of 2012. I never went back to get my 4th shot and never got a period until Nov 2012 then I had a period Dec 2012. But this month I didn't get one. I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative. I really need advice ladies!!
Hello my name is Linda I have been married for 1 1/1 years now I took the depo shot for 6 months I'm off it now for 1 year and 3 months ... My period are  in regular I didn't get my period  for two months now .. I really want have a baby ... I don't know what to do. Please someone help me...  6 months ago I had a Ultrasound an the doctor told me that everything was Normal but one side of my eggs was bigger the then other side what does that mean is it bad ..... Please if anyone knows tell me I beg you allll .. I'm going crazy I want a baby
My name is Arlinda I got married on Agust 2011on July 27 2011 I took the depo shot I didn't want to get pregnet that soon u want to have some fun before u have kids I I gained a lot of weight on the Depo...:( u dint get my Periods for Two months now I took a Pregnancy test and it came back negative i really want to get pregnet and  have a baby I really want to have a baby .....so bad what should I do does anyone know pls I'm going crazy ..... Also 4 Four months ago I Did a ultrasound And the doctor told me that everything was normal and everything was fine but one side of my eggs was bigger than the other one but he said that is fine is that it's that good does anyone know is that fine pls guys help me
It just takes time unfortunately and it took me 18 months to get pregnant after depo I was so depressed.
Missed my piriod for 2 months what should I do
How much long should I Waite what should I do
It was Been 16 months Since I got off depo shot
I've had two shots my 3rds due on 15th feb but I'm not having anymore as I've spotted for nearly 5 months none stop- does this mean I release an egg that comes out with the spotting blood and do you think ill return to my periods and cylce quicker because of my body's poor response to the hormones?
Hi my name is yasmin im 19 i was on the Depo shot for two year and got off a year ago for the first 3monthsto i did not have period intill April of last year i had a period every month but the were at diff times of the month my last period was the first of Dec.2012 i havent had a period this month bout a week and ahalf ago i started haveing signs my boobs are really sore and kinda hard and my ribs and down feel like im cramping but alil worse sharp pains here and there my bladder is way out of control and i have gotten sicking feelings but havent thrown up my lower stomich is hard i eat 10times more than i ever had and lower back pains i took a test last week it said no i took one today it said no i need help i really dnt wanna be prego right now but before i can go on i need to know whats going on so i dnt do anything to hurt the baby my job is very stressfull and crazy and the way i push myself for classes plzzzzz..... someone help me ive been told diff things but i am confused thank you!!!!       Yasmin Sanchez
I was on depo for 3 years and my last shot was 8-1-12. I'm trying to conceive but no luck so far. My periods have not returned. :/ I've read a lot of forums and they suggested agnus castus to bring them back. So I'm currently taking that to see what happens. I have an appointment in April and I'll discuss other methods at that time if my period is still a no show. It's really just a waiting game. Depo is the devil of birth control. I'll never go on any type of hormonal birth control ever again.
I was on depo for just under 4yrs, took my last shot 1st of march last year and was due for one in may but I never went. Didn't have a period and then I went on the combined pill in December 2012 for three months, till march 2013, and all of a sudden my period was regular.when i stopped the pill, I got a period in April and didn't have a period again till the 30th of June 2013. I was so excited because I thought things were back to normal. Period lasted for 5days and then didn't have a period in July... Thought that I was preggars because I was having majority of the symptoms but took the test and nothing. My period came again on the 26th of August. I'm a bit confused because that means I have a 58day cycle which is very long. Before depo it was 30 days and now it's messed up cant wait for it to leave my system and have my periods back to normal and a baby.

I think doctors need to tell people about this before they get on the depo, although I was told, it was not fully explained to me and i guess I was naive and didn't do my research. Fingers crossed xx