Pregnancy: April 2010 Babies Community
DO'S AND DON'T WHILE PREGNANT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2010.

DO'S AND DON'T WHILE PREGNANT

We always hear about the stuff we should and should not do/consume etc, while pregnant and so I thought we should share what we have heard and what we do and don't do. Maybe there are some things many of us don't know about that we can share and keep people informed.
My concern is the laptop - is it bad to have the lap top on our lap while preggers?? anyone know about that??
HMMM good topic... I'll take a shot:

DO:
Drink lots of water
Eat healthier, fruits and veggies
Take at least 400mcg of folic acid daily
Get adequate rest at night
Take walk/stay active unless told not to by your doc

DON'TS:
Don't Eat too much fish- Contains mercury
Don't use alcohol or tobacco (duh =) )
Don't take very hot baths, use hottubs, or saunas
Don't douche
Don't change kitty litter
Don't use x-rays
Stay away from deli meats and hot dogs (unless cooked) -These products may contain listeria which is harmful to the fetus.

I think that's all I can come up with for now =)

Oh and i've never heard the laptop thing. i have to look it up....
I tried to look up lap top thing and I cant find anything anywhere. I have a lap top and I try to keep it on a table just in case but the occasional time I dont and I feel crampy at the times that I have it on my lap which is a quick reminder to move it away :s

anyone else have that feeling???
Good suggestions of do's and dont's

** another is obviously not to lift heavy things
** do wear supportive bras so they dont get saggy later on :)
**do cream your belly and butt so you dont get stretch marks later on
You can't eat deli meat? Like no turkey?! I have so many do & dont questions to ask my OB!
stretch marks will come whether we want it or not lol ive had them in that area since ive been 16 so no point for me.... just thought id crack a joke before i head off for work lol
Cream, cream cream the areas to try to minimize the parks. I have also heard of some kind of oil not sure what its called but it helps eliminate the marks too. I am still creaming all the areas several times a day - but I did before being preg anyways.
One oil for stretch marks is called Mothers Helper, and I have seen it at natural food stores.  I think Burts Bees has a product out, too, for keeping stretch marks at bay.

I am also concerned about the laptop thing (had it in my lap, on top of a pillow, while reading this thread and immediately moved it to the desk :)  

I have also heard:
Do:
Roughen your nipples before the baby (don't know how I feel about this one . . .)
For nausea, try to keep your stomach full by grazing
It is good to start doing Kegals and pelvic-opening stretches now in prep for birth

Dont:
Jet ski (hitting the water can cause bacteria to be forced into the birth canal--and anyway, way dangerous, right?)
Begin any vigorous exercise program you are not use to, but begin gently
Watch out for unpasteurized cheeses-same as deli meat, may contain listeria
Bring own tools to pedicure/manicure sights for sanitary/health reasons
Avoid harsh chemicals from hair products such as coloring or perms--try to go to salons when these things are not occuring

Well, good luck to everyone!