Pregnancy: April 2010 Babies Community
Pre eclampsia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2010.

Pre eclampsia

so i've been having some funny things happening to me lately, but never connected the dots and had no idea what they all were. Everytime I tell the doctor about anything, they ALWAYS blame whatever it is on anxiety( that is to say they think all of my problems are all in my head). I've been having moderate pain where my bladder is, and in the middle of my back for about a week now. I thought for sure I had a bladder infection, so I called the clinic and they had me come in to see a nurse. My urine test was negative for an infection, but the nurse informed me that there was protein in my urine. A significant amount of it for only being tested two days before (I had no idea there was even a little bit of protein in my urine at any point, they never told me). So the nurse takes my blood pressure and informs me that I failed that test too, it was 140/92. My blood pressures are perfect all the time no matter what - always somewhere in the neighborhood of 120/70. So then she starts asking me questions about my vision and drinking and peeing habits, and wouldn't you know, all of my strange symptoms that never got pinned to anything started coming up. like, no matter how much I drink, I never pee very much at all and it's always REALLY dark. I have random dizzy spells that have been blamed on anxiety forever now. I see floaters very often. I see flashing lights when i close my eyes, sometimes colors look "off" to me. I have a steady throbbing behind my eyes that feels like a pressure headache. My hands are swollen along with my feet (feet were always a little puffy) my hands are so tight it makes using my cell phone difficult. I can't get away from the GI stuff ... the worst acid reflux you can imagine that isn't relieved by any otc method, terrible relentless nausea, I don't have an appetite and when i eat my toddlers eat more than i do. I have pain like theres rocks in my belly just under my ribs across my middle ...

the nurse i was talking to asked me why I didn't mention all of these things before to the docs and i told her the truth. I am so rushed when i come in that I never get to inject anything into the conversation. the doc flies in, listens to baby, measures my belly, and leaves the room, usually without even helping me off the bed. I had no idea that any of that could be related to blood pressure anyway, because no one ever told me about it.

luckily, it looks like baby is ok after being put on the monitor for a while, and I've been put on bed rest until monday. I had to do a 24 hour urine collection for protein checks, and I have to go on monday to get my blood pressure checked. if it's high again the doc said then we'd talk about induction - in the same breath she asked me how i felt about that and i told her i was ready like three weeks ago with a smile. well, she didn't think it was funny and went on to say that she won't induce me just because i'm tired of being pregnant and that induction might not be necessary and she just may let me go on my own for however long i have left ... what do you say to something like that? i got the distinct impression that she wasn't going to induce me at all just to spite me, regardless of my medical condition that i had no idea i had until that morning when i found that caring nurse ... i mean, for the love of god, I'm due next friday anyway, i'm over 39 weeks and i'm having pre eclampsia!! what gives with the health care providers anymore? I just don't get it. I got the impression once again that she doesn't really care about me or the baby, and I was taking up HER time. And i got rushed out. again. does anyone else identify with my outrage at this entire scenario? sorry it's so long but it just blows my mind
That's horrible!  I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I know what you mean though about the doctors rushing you in an out.  I've had similar stuff recently, although not nearly as bad as yours!  Mine was just a yeast infection, but I've had it now for over a month, told them each visit I thought I had one, and could I take medicine, and all they would say was that increased discharge was normal.  Then, I finally TELL my doctor the other day that she's going to check me, and voila...I have a yeast infection so bad that she gives me a prescription pill for it, she said the over the counter stuff wouldn't knock it out it was so bad.  Really?  At least its FINALLY gone!  I hope everything works out for you!  Baby is full term at this point so delivery at any point would be safe :-)