Pregnancy: April 2012 Babies Community
Anyone else experiencing some post partem stuff?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2012.

Ugh...been having a difficult time and struggling with some depression. I'm feeling tremendous gullt over not being able to breastfeed exclusively.I tried everything--I saw three different lactation consultants, rented a hospital pump, took Fenugreek, pumped at all hours of the night, did it all and my supply just never fully came in. Now I just try and nurse as much as possible, supplement with formula, and whatever milk I can pump, which is never more than an oz. Now that I'm alone all day, I just can't seem to get in as many pumping sessions as before, which adds to the guilt. I just feel so bad! Breastfeeding was the one thing I really cared about and now I feel so broken! Hopefully this will all pass though. Hope the rest of you ladies are doing well!
Don't be so hard on yourself. It's ok to formula feed. Keep trying to increase your supply. Your little one is still getting some of your milk that's what's important.
Even just an ounce or two a day makes a big difference to your child's health. Will your baby nurse directly at the breast? Maybe you could look at using a supplemental nurser. That way you get the closeness that breastfeeding brings, your baby will gain the health benefits and with formula in the supplemental nurser you will know that baby is getting adequate nutrition. Alternativly you can just 'recreational nurse' so baby gets nutrition from formula but gets comfort from suckling mommy. Again just being at the breat taking a few mls will give baby some of the health benefits.
Have you spoke to a doctor about prescription meds that could help your supply.
Breastfeeding didn't work out with my first child and I too felt very down about it, it's natural to feel like this if you had really hoped to do it.
Let that guilt go- you are a wonderful Mommy to give so much of yourself to make it work! Whatever breast milk you can give your baby goes a LONG way! Babies are healthy on formula too so don't worry about that.
Ahh thanks everyone...your encouragement means a lot. I can usually pump about 4oz a day and I always start off by trying to nurse first. Not sure what he gets there, but I like to do it even if it's just for the bond. I guess I needed to hear it's still worth it to keep at it even if it's for so little. I was getting ready to just throw in the towel and give up.

What's a supplemental nurser by the way? Oh, and I did look into a prescription med called Regulan, but the side effects seemed scary and my doc refused to prescribe it anyway.