Pregnancy: April 2012 Babies Community
Falls

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2012.

Falls

I took a tumble last night getting off my train after work. This was my worse fear and it happened. It scared me to death and I went straight to ER. They checked the baby right away and baby is doing great! They said the baby is very well cushioned in my belly and probably did not feel anything. I fell on my knee and foot and not my belly. I'm thankful for that. I'll take pain 1000 times over for myself as long as my baby is ok!

It's amazing that a little more weight and shift in center of gravity can make a huge difference in the way you handle yourself. I'm taking it as a sign to slow it down a bit.

Has anyone else fell with this pregnancy or past pregnancy? It is just soooo scary!
yes, and it is scary! I slipped in the mud and fell hard on my back at about 15wks with my 2nd baby...I already had a bad back, but now it REALLY bothers me when I'm pregnant. However, my son was delivered a few days before 40wks and is now a very healthy and beautiful 16-month-old.

Baby is definitely well cushioned, and as long as you didn't fall flat on your belly usually they barely even notice - it's probably just like hitting a hard bump riding in a car, to them :-).
Yep, I fell down the stairs with my first pregnancy at about 28 weeks, bumped down the whole flight of wooden stairs on my bum, ouch and baby was fine. I also knew a girl who fell from her horse at about 5 months, all was fine
I took a fall just a couple weeks ago...slipped on a steep icy hillside & caught myself on my wrist. The orthopedic Dr won't even exray it because I am pregnant, which I feel is overly cautious, so am waiting to get in to my ob Dr to see what his take on the no exray thing is. I think if you isolate the area & use extra shielding it should be ok, but we will see. Meanwhile, it makes it really hard to get in/out of bed or car, etc with one hand to lean on. It is definitely a good idea to get checked after a fall though, because any kind of loss of momentum fall can cause your placenta to detach, which is immediately dangerous for your baby.
Oh goodness it takes a pretty hard fall to cause the placenta to detach, unless the placenta was weak to begin with.

Jennifer: Since you already got checked out, please try not to worry!. yes you should always get checked after a fall because things can happen, but since they said the baby is OK and you haven't bled please don't worry.
Thanks for the feedback ladies. Yes, baby is doing great and moving all around today. I'm thankful it wasn't worse! :)

We have our Gender Reveal party tomorrow so my amazing husband is cleaning like crazy and shopping. It's so hard to slow down sometimes and rest!

Also, it's not recommended to get xrays while pregnant. The ER doctor advised against giving me one on my knee last night. I planned to decline anyway if they suggested it but was happy they said it first!
I certainly wasn't trying to cause alarm with my comments, or suggest anyone who shared their story was in need to worry further. I was simply sharing my experience, and my Dr's comments. Someone mentioned a fall from a horse, which could certainly have enough force to cause dsmage
And actually, a diagnostic xray, especially on an extremity such as a hand or foot, has well below the recommended dosage of radiation for a fetus, especially in the second trimester. With correct positioning & appropriate shielding, the exposure is negligible. If it were a choice between having my wrist set properly & cast (with the very low to nonexistant risk of an exray) versus having to have surgery on my wrist after delivery because it didn't heal correctly, I would choose the exray. Just my opinion.
I keeled over getting on the bus a few weeks ago. I landed on my side but all I sustained was a bruised shin/ego. Everyone on the bus thought I was drunk b/c it was 1am. I need to remember to pick up my feet when going over edges! I've also dropped 1 mug and nearly dropped 2 others. We're definitely getting clumsier.
Last pregnancy I was due December 6th and where I live it snows and is very icy. I'll never forget slipping on an ice patch at the bottom of our steps and bruising my tail bone on December 4th. I was so freaked and I remember my husband running from the car saying 'I told you to wait so I could help you' but at that far along I couldn't hold my bladder for too long. I was so embarrassed I blamed the snow/ice for my wet pants. Turns out baby was comfy and didn't come till the 15th :)