Pregnancy: April 2012 Babies Community
Pros & Cons!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2012.

Pros & Cons!

I'm a 1st time mommy to be & I'm constantly thinking what are the pros & cons on having an epidural or intrathecal? I've heard & read a lot of good & bad things on both! I'm afraid of needles in my vein! Ya weird cuz I have tattoos! N.e wayz the thought of a needle in my spine freaks me out!!! >_< any mommy's who has had either of these... Pls. tell me how ur experience was.
I was feeling the same way for my first.. But i also dont have a high tolerance for pain so by the time.i was in active labor i didnt care what they did as long as it too the pain away. Of course it effects everyones body differently i didnt have any negative side effects and i still knew when it was time to push and honestly i believe it was because of the epidural and not feeling the pain it only took 3 pushes to get baby out... That was 3 years ago and even after getting it done i was up and walking around with in an hour and still to this day have had any complications with back.problems or anything like that i also plan on getting another epidural with this birth as well but like i said it effecta everyone differently so yoh really wont know unless you get it
I had an epidural and it only took him 2 minutes and I had immediate relief. I hate needles too. The IV was seriously the worst part of it all.  
I have had two pregnancies and when you are in that much pain it really doesn't matter about how the needle feels cause it will give you relief to that horrible pain. With my first I wanted to try natural but I took the pain as long as I could and I also hate needles but the pain was gone within minutes and I was numb to the fact that when it came time to push I had to ask them if I was pushing cause I didnt feel a thing. They say you still feel pressure with an epidural but with my first I didnt feel that either. Now when I had my twins I got the epidural but I still felt everything cause it wore off when it came time to push and it hurt. I am getting an epidural again and hopefully I will not feel a thing this time too cause I am having my baby at the same hospital I had my first on at.
I am a MAJOR needle-phobe, and I've had 4 babies without an epdural.  It just isn't an option for me.  I bawl like a baby at the IV, LoL.
I guess I have a pretty high tolerance for pain
...becuase my labors are fairly long (10-15 hours).  But it's do-able.  If you decide to do without one, just tell yourself you can do it.  And know that it's an option for back-up, if needed.  Good luck!
I had to do IVF to conceive and I'm wondering how much bigger/longer the needle is for the epidural than the progesterone shots I had to do for 8 weeks. That was a thick 1 1/2 inch needle that I had to do in the muscle and the meds were the consistency of olive oil so you really had to push it in. Is the needle too much worse looking than that? I'd be curious to know ...
Thanks ladies. I will keep an open mind & just see how much of the pain I can tolerate! I hope & pray all goes well when it's time to deliver :)