Pregnancy: April 2014 Babies Community
when to start buying baby stuff?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2014.

when to start buying baby stuff?!?!

I know it seems early but I'm curious to know when everyone is going to start purchasing stuff for the baby. I'm a military spouse so I don't have many friends here to throw me a baby shower and I know how expensive it can be.
This is my first (I'm 9 weeks) and I'm not having a baby shower... (I don't want one, I'm trying to eliminate things in my house, not get more junk, lol). Anyway... My husband & I are waiting until the second trimester to start buying things a little at a time. We're keeping it basic. Crib, carseat, baby wraps/baby wearing carriers (instead of stroller), and cloth diapers/covers.  I've got 7 months to figure out my new sewing machine to make little shirts, lol... Buuut yeah. The way my husband's cousin put it, "some people's houses look like babies r us threw up in it". That's what we DON'T want.  I also worked in daycares/preschools for over 10 yrs & I'm a certified toddler/prek gymnastics coach, & I saw how a lot of the toys out there really hinder the natural gross/fine motor skill development of the kids. It makes em lazy. Soooo we want as little junk as possible.
I am 10wks and I have already started looking. Very anxious to start buying stuff! :) We won't be having a baby shower either, so it will be nice to buy a little here and there. I am planning on starting to buy stuff after we find out what we are having in November! :)
It's best to buy stuff as it goes on sale. I have started with neutral colors in clothing. Most of my stuff is going to be coming from my baby classes as I earn points and they supply cribs and all the big items. If you know any classes like that they are helpful!