Pregnancy: Aug 09 Babies Community
When do you switch to a bigger carseat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in August 2009.

When do you switch to a bigger carseat?

We have one of those car seats with the handle that lifts out of the base and into the stroller. Well now her feet are hanging out over the end and she's squeezing into it. I found a carseat that can be rear facing, forward, or a booster seat. Just wondering if anyone else has already made the switch and how it went.
I already switched our little guy to a big boy carseat.  We switched him to a Britax Roundabout.  It can be backward facing starting at 5 lbs.  We switched our little guy at 6 months.  I think you can switch whenever you feel comfortable.
we also switched to a convertible carseat recently since her feet were hanging over the edge, which i have heard is dangerous. I loved the infant seat, and am already finding the regular carseat interfering with many things since i feel more tied down by her nap times- she's much less portable now! We are using the Evenflo Triumph Advance and i love it. I used it with my first as well. It's cheaper than the britax but has similar safety reviews, and is very user friendly. When she's 12 months it can be forward facing.
Great thanks for the advice I've read great reviews on both of those seats I guess we'll just have to run over to babiesrus and check them out.
We switched to the Britax Roundabout too... He loves it! ... and so do I :)
Can anyone tell me what kind of car your using the Britax in? My husband has a large suv so I'm not worried about that, but I drive an envoy (mid sized suv) and with her infant seat now the front seat has to be all the way forward for it to fit. Whatever I get has to be the same size or smaller as her infant seat.
I am using a Honda Pilot with the Britax round about.  The front seat doesn't have to be all the way forward for the seat to fit.
All the GM models should have the handy little hooks between the seats where the base is, that you can 'clip' the straps right onto... hope i described that well enough... i know for sure the Tahoe, Escalade, Yukon, and Cadillac Crossover have them... those are the vehicles in my family and we all have Britax's and they fasten in very well... good luck!
Im getting a new carseat for Taylor on thursday and cant wait!! She is only about 17 lbs but man is it killing me to use the carrier! I carried Dalton around in his untill I gave birth to Taylor when he was 11 months old!!!! DH literly had to go buy him a car seat so that we could use his carrier to bring home Taylor, lol! I dont know how I did it! It is so much easyier h=when goin g places with her carrier, I am going to miss that:~( I wish more stores had carts with 2 front seat:~)
I ended up ordering the britax online. I took her to the dr and she only weighs 15 pounds so we could wait a few weeks for it to arrive.

Thanks aagain for all the great advice!
Omg how tiny! LoL  Cooper is 22 pounds and he's hanging out of his infant seat, literally, I have just been TOO busy to go shop for a new one!  Maybe ordering online is the way to go...