Pregnancy: Aug 10 Babies Community
Hospitals, Bills, and More.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in August 2010.

Hospitals, Bills, and More.

Hey ladies, quick question.

So I spoke with the hospital staff today for the first time. I scheduled an appointment to go in on Friday so they can give me a tour, childbirth class schedules and an opportunity to interview the nurses and anesthesiologists. That said, the billing department mentioned to me that costs included $2,206 which my insurance pays 80% of (I’m responsible for the 20% plus the room, and it all sums up to %667 that I have to pay myself) Then if I request an epidural, that would be separate and I'd get a bill for that since that’s a different department which handles bills and insurance manners separately, plus the baby's Pediatrician who will be there. If I don't pick a Pediatrician, the hospital immediately assigns one for me. I will of course, carefully select and interview a Pediatrician who is IN the network and one who is highly recommended by friends and co-workers so  I can be at peace AND at the same time my co-payments are less.  I will do that this week. My question is......is that how things work? Is giving birth THAT expensive??? I’ll probably end up paying close to, if not more than $2,000!!
eek.....lol
Ugh...I meant to 'say' $667......not %667 lol
It depends on the insurance.  
I have studied a lot about it because I have my insurance license.  I have never done much with it (I also have a few other licenses like real estate, notary, but work for a large corporation just like to have them but I don't put them to use I also sell Mary Kay on the side ...lol).  
My insurance through my job is about the same as yours with them covering only 80% after deductible.  It is way more affordable monthly than my husbands.  My husband pays $600 per month out of his pocket on top of what his company contributes, but they cover 100% of everything with no deductible as long as it's medically necessary.  So, it is worth it for us to just be on his.
For future you may want to look into something like a supplemental insurance like Aflac. They have a hospital plan for like $40 per month.  They pay out per incident.  Childbirth they automatically give you like $2000 and pay a per diem for each day you are in the hospital.  It helps kind of fill in the gaps for what your insurance doesn't cover, but you wouldn't be able to get it now it would have to be in affect prior to you getting pregnant.  :)
yes our insurance only covers a certain percent...my total was like $3200, but my maximum out of pocket is $2000 so that is what we had to pay!!! It is just crazy..oh yeah and on our insurance, pregnancy is its own deductible, so even though I have paid the $2000, if something else happens I will still have to pay another deductible.. I have also heard that starting next year our insurance and the main hopsital around here is going to consider pregnancy an elective, which means they will not cover it at all....
It all depends on the insurance you have. I think I ended up paying about $880 when I had Fionn. I also paid about $250 for Cord blood extraction and  had Fionn circumsized which was an additional cost.
It’s just crazy.  
Heather, your dh’s insurance sounds very good. You know, we (my company) have three types of insurance we can select. One covers 60%. The next one covers 80%, and the highest one covers 90%. You have to enroll each year. I would have chosen the one that covers 90% which I’d only pay $60.00 every two weeks. But I don’t usually get sick, and I wasn’t planning on getting pregnant so I kept my insurance which covers 80% for just $19.00 biweekly. Not bad…….but now I’m pregnant…..and even though the still pay way more than me…I still want to pay less lol. Gosh….$2,000…do you know how many diaper boxes I could buy with $2,00???? Lol
Here is the thing…I got a nurse from my insurance calling me every month to receive updates on my pregnancy and assist me in questions I may have. When I give birth to my baby my insurance will pay ME $400. They have sent me free books, diaries, and references, and have even called me to let me know they can help me if I don’t have an OB or if I cannot afford childbirth classes. The service is excellent.  But the $2,000 is killing me LOL….

By the way……LOL to the way you describe your qualifications. I didn’t know you sold MK!!!

5in1…………..that’s just crazy hon………pure madness lol

Gee feather.......how did you get to pay $880??? lol I've gota get me that insurance!!

Well so far I've had to pay $667 and it covers the room, the 48 hrs I'll be there, medications, service and whatnot. The Pediatrician and Anesthesiologist bills are the ones I think will add up to $2,000. That's my calculation. Hopefully  I'll end up paying WAY less than $2,000. I'll pray!!!!!!
Your insurance does sound very similar to mine offered through my company.  That is great they treat you so well it is for sure important.  But, since you know for next time you should for sure look into something that would fill in the gaps.. so you don't have to pay so much for baby #2 out of pocket.
My husband constantly makes fun of me... I always have to be doing something he is always making little cracks everytime I start something new up.  Maybe one day I will put them to good use. I have been selling tons of Mary Kay while on maternity leave (I make my husband deliver or I ship from my website... I started because I like their face wash and make up is something I like).  I have an entrepenueral spirit just don't know what the heck to do with it, so that is why the stressful job.  haha
I agree. I should look into something that will help me more with pregnancy costs for baby #2.  It PAINS me to have to pay so much to give birth!
I see you do have an entrepreneur spirit.  I wish I had that same spirit. I’m too passive.  You remind me of my cousin.  He is always full of ideas. The business side of life is very attractive and tempting to him.

I will do my MBA when baby is born. That will definitely put my mind more into business.
I'm glad I'm on Medicare and my birth will be fully covered.

I am definitely going to look into Aflec for baby #2 though. We will be married by then and hopefully we both will have a job with benefits.

I do have to pay for my birthing classes. Which is $60.  
for my insurance i also pay 20%, but i have a max out of pocket expense of $1500. my company gives me $1200 for the out of pocket and i have almost used it all already. so i shouldnt really pay more than $300 for the delivery. you should see if you have a max out of pocket expense.