Pregnancy: Aug 10 Babies Community
Who have you told?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in August 2010.

Who have you told?

Now that it's around the second trimester for most of us, I figured its time to ask:  Who have you told about your pregnancy?
4%
 (1) 
Just my spouse/partner
0%
 (0) 
Just my immediate family
9%
 (2) 
A few people on a need-to-know basis
14%
 (3) 
My family and friends
4%
 (1) 
My family, friends and boss
14%
 (3) 
My family, friends and co-workers
52%
 (11) 
EVERYONE!
21 Members voted
I'm ready to tell mostly everyone, but boy does it take a lot of time to communicate with that many people! I want it to be special and tell many people individually, even if through email.  But it takes a lot of energy to constantly be telling the big news! Even though it's great. Then there's the whole order...if I tell this old co-worker, I have to be fast and tell these other ones... lol.  One idea I guess I should think about again is emailing a cute photo of me and my partner (when I was 4 weeks and didn't know it), and writing a cute caption. I'll probably do that.

I'm also debating about how to work it in on Facebook.  I don't know if I want to make a status announcement, or just eventually put something like "pre-natal yoga class!".  It's kind of scary to me the idea of putting something so important out there, also because I'm friends on FB with work people, industry people, family who I didn't get to tell over the phone, and even ex-boyfriends mom! Sheesh!

Would love to hear how everyone else is managing!
I hear you on the face book thing.  I'm 16 weeks and am trying my very best to keep it off FB for awhile longer :)
I'm glad steph you agree. I think I'm going to wait until month 5 or 6 maybe for FB.
my mother has been doing most of the telling for me
I have told everyone, and I didn't have to worry about the facebook thing because my sister in law decided she was going to announce she was going to be an Aunt and people figured it out anyway.  I told immediate family around 9 weeks, and I told work at about 11 weeks.  
I started telling people when I got a good positive beta result. I mentioned it on facebook after my first ultrasound and as time has gone on I have told pretty much everyone.
im 12 weeks now and the only people i havent told is coworkers. Do you think im relatively safe now? Should I wait a week or so? scan was good yesterday.
I haven't told anyone but my boss and so far it is really great to have something private to share with my husband without the entire world putting their two cents in constantly.  but... i'm starting to get a little antsy and may start spreading the news in the next week or two.
We've told whoever it seems to come up in conversation with, plus the few close friends, family members, and co-workers who we really wanted to share with.

It's funny, though, that it really doesn't easily come up in regular conversation - at least for me. Just tonight, I went to a happy hour with a bunch of friends (and ordered a soda!). I was thinking I'd tell them, but it just never fit well into the conversation at all. And I knew it would be a conversation-stopper and draw everyone's attention to me, which seemed like a weird thing to do. So I'll wait until next time. Anyone else have this experience of wanting to share, but having trouble actually doing it?
This being my 3rd kid and I have this habit to just pile on the pounds when pg, it was pretty obvious my tummy was bulging at 8 weeks. I was slim pre-pg so when the bulge showed people started looking. By my 10th week, everyone could tell immediately and asked!
mine is also pretty obvious... i figured if i didnt tell u than u can figure it out yourself just by looking at me!!