Pregnancy: Aug 2013 Babies Community
13 week Nub Theory?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in August 2013.

13 week Nub Theory?

8832696?1360514072
So, I had my nuchal scan at 12 weeks 6 days, baby measured 13 w 1 day.  The peri neonatologist came in and I asked if he could get a nub shot so we could guess at the gender.  He got a profile shot and do you want to know?  I said YES!  He said "Don't go maxing out your visa till after the 20 week scan but I am 98% sure you are having a boy!"  I really hope he is right.  Our last two were girls and a boy would be perfect to have..  A girl is okay too, but would be nice to have a boy.  

Any of you had the doc be right at gender during the nuchal scan?

I attached a sono pic and doc said the nub is about 45 to 50 degrees up.  
This gave me hope for my appointment Wednesday!  Thats my 12 week scan!
If you are going to a high risk peri neo natologist, then they might be able to tell you what you are having.  Most docs and techs won't guess.  I asked this doc to tell me his opinion of the nub shot.. I said I know its really probably only 50/50 but what's his best guess.  He said he didn't have to guess and asked if I wanted to know.  I said yes sir!  That's when he told me it was a boy.  My mom was with me because my husband didn't get off work in time to go.  She was crying her eyes out!  We have 2 boys and three girls, the last two were girls and would really like a boy.. however, last september we lost a boy at 17 weeks.. baby died at 14 weeks and was induced at 17 and D and C.  It was tragic and terrible.  So, while we would love to have a boy, this time we just want healthy and alive.  

Good luck..  keep me posted!
I have mine on Tue I hope the doc will be able to do the same for me. I have 2 sons n I'm ready for a girl !!!!!!!!!!
If u dont mind me askin what happen that u haf lost the baby that late?
I wish I knew...  I had the nuchal scan at 13 weeks 5 days with that pregnancy.  I noticed the baby didn't move and the heart rate was in 140s and it had always been 170s. They all told me it wasn't a big deal.  He measured 12 weeks when at the nuchal scan and was told its normal for some babies to be small.  The following week I was 14 weeks 6 days, I went for regular OB appt and the baby had died. They made me carry for two more weeks to see if I would pass it on my own.  I didn't, so I was induced into labor, then after he was born I had d and c to get out placenta.  When I was 6 weeks preg with him I had a kidney, bladder, and UTI infection and I was bleeding for 2 weeks before the docs gave me antibiotics.  So it's possible the infection messed up the critical development stage.  I really don't know.  We named him Angel after my husbands father and he was cremated and put in a beautiful teddy bear ceramic urn.  I always thought something was wrong with that pregnancy.  It was just a gut feeling that he wouldn't make it.  All my screens and pregnancy tests were normal, but still I felt there was something wrong.  It was the hardest thing we ever did when we held our 5 inch long son and had to say goodbye to him.  It still breaks our heart.  

Everything with this pregnancy has been great, but I will still be nervous till I pass the point where we lost him.  He would have been born next week had he lived.  I don't have the feeling this baby won't make it like I did with Angel, so I am praying this baby stays healthy and alive.
Thank you for sharing your story, its a very tragic one, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of hope :)
What exactly is the "nub thoery"? Is nub synonymous w/ penis then?
It's the angle of the nub between 12 and 13 weeks,  if it is greater than 30 degrees angle from the spine it is boy, less than 30 degrees or parallel to the spine, it's a girl.
The original perinatologist was right!!!  It's a BOY!!!  I am 19 weeks 3 days and had a sonogram today and it was very obvious it was a BOY!  So, the nub theory works!