Pregnancy: Birth Plan Community
All Natural vs. Epidural?

Communicate with other expecting mothers, partners, doulas & members about C-section/ cesarean section, epidural, induced labor, natural childbirth, pain management, vaginal delivery, water birth, strep b positive, high risk pregnancy, VBAC, bed rest, pelvic floor dysfunction, repeat cesarean, partner present, and childbearing women’s rights.

All Natural vs. Epidural?

I am 20 years old, this is my first baby. I am highly considering all natural but im curious about how an epidural works. Is it true that you are so drugged after that you cant hold your baby? What are the pros and cons? Any suggestions?
That's not true, I still knew when to push, but the doctors tell your contractions from the  machine, but I still felt the pressure. Epidural is the best thing, with both kids I got it around 8 CMs I labor fast. So I felt mostly everything till my contractions were 2 mins apart, my second baby was more hard for me. The pain was bad. Epidural shot doesn't hurt because your in pain from the labor. If I were you I'd go with epidural
Only you will know what you wang to do. With it being your first the pain is rough and I have in quickly but it's to how much pain you can tolerate. With my first I had one and the doc let me hold my son while my husband cut the cord and then they cleaned him up done their checks on him and give him right back to me to nurse. Sometimes there is no time for one but you will personally know your decision when labor is in action!!
I had a natural birth, it was not really planned, I just had a crazy fast labour. The pain was rough, but it left quick too. As soon as my son was born the pain was gone. Breathing helped, but didn't eliminate the pain. Ask your doc about different options if you want pain meds as an option but wanna try natural first.
All natural birth.i stood strong for my baby.u,can do it to.goodluck
I also had my daughter when I was 20 years old. And I heard all these horror stories of how horrible the pain was and believe me, I had my baby all natural and it was absolutely nothing that was described to me. What did women do before epidural? I have two friends who've had epidurals and it does render you helpless somewhat. I think you should go for the all natural. I'm now pregnant again and this child will be all natural also
Watch the documentary The Business of Being Born :-) helped me
After being in labor for over a day (not all at the hospital) i had the epidural and i was in happy land for 4 hours. After that it wore off and i felt everything. Including the contractions every 2 minutes and every single push for 2hours. I'm on my second and thinking of just don't without. The labor party is what hurts pushing isn't as bad but the adrenaline kicks in. I think if your ok with taking high dose meds than you'll be fine. Woman get them everyday but they aren't for everyone.
Be careful of that documentary tho as it's very one sided. It's based solely out of NYC and maybe the hospitals there are different but I had a 100% opposite experience of what they said hospitals drs and nurses are like. I thought going into it I wanted to try all natural but was so exhausted my 8cm I got an epidural. It's up to you tho. I was up waking around within an hour of delivering my baby after having the epidural. And I held her right after she was born and she nursed within 20 minutes of being born!!! She had no side affects from me having the epidural.
I was 18years old with my first baby and I wanted the same, but I was advised to put an epidural down as a possibility, a last resort. Just so their aware its a possibility and boy was I glad I did! Im going to give it a shot this time around without but I will still put it down in my plan. And its definitely not true about being out of thats the upside to the epidural you are completely aware of whats going on, you should still be able to feel when to push and you will be able to hold and even feed your new baby! I would definitely recommend anyone to have it as a last resort! You might be glad you did! :-)