Pregnancy: Birth Plan Community
Gestational diabetes & natural birth

Communicate with other expecting mothers, partners, doulas & members about C-section/ cesarean section, epidural, induced labor, natural childbirth, pain management, vaginal delivery, water birth, strep b positive, high risk pregnancy, VBAC, bed rest, pelvic floor dysfunction, repeat cesarean, partner present, and childbearing women’s rights.

Gestational diabetes & natural birth

I am insulin dependent and at 35 weeks. My first son, I also had GD only it was simply diet controlled. My first I also had pitocin and an epidural but it all went rather quickly. My biggest complaint was that they pulled my child out and whisked him away from me even though he was perfectly healthy. I do NOT want that to happen again. I want her to be with me first and allow her to nurse.
has anyone else has any issues with not being able to have a natural birth because of this? Or did it cause any complications at all?
I would do a birth plan and include skin to skin contact and delayed cord clamping and that you want to put bub to breast and if all goes well with the birth that you would like baby to be observed while they are on you, not taken away, I shouldnt think the fact that you have gestational diabetes would change you being able to do this :)
Wow! I'm so glad that you're making plans to avoid trouble this time around and I'm sorry they robbed you of STS (skin to skin) as stacey10 mentioned. This is the most important time to bond and for your baby to learn what she has to work w/. Letting the baby lay on your chest and route around (google "breast crawl") to find the breast by themselves. This can take up to a couple hours *usually takes around 1 hr to self latch.

If any routine exams need to be done (since you are high risk?), ask that they be done on your chest. This will not only calm the baby, but since baby will be less traumatized, sugar levels will stay higher.
What else do you want for your birth plan? Are you planning to be induced or use epidural again?

I had 2 natural births (no meds & vaginally), w/o complications, but I do hear a lot of horror and success stories w/ epidurals & being induced. You choose what you’re comfortable w/ after doing your research and you’re always more than welcome to ask questions here. We are more than happy to offer support and answer what we can. Good luck sister. Keep in touch.
Thanks for your responses!

We had our first appointment with the perinatal unit today and I expressed my concerns for natural birth and leaving our daughter with me. The NP stated that since I am diabetic, they may have to keep her on a monitor to make sure she is dealing with the labor well. She said that it shouldn't be a problem for me to move around as long as they are able to do so.
Her due date is August 7 and she said that they will not allow me to go past that mark. If I do, then they will induce (because of the diabetes). My first came around 36-37 weeks and I hope Leah will come on her own as well.
I told her I would like to do a natural birth however, she said the diabetes could limit my options. Every NST baby has been on throughout this process has been normal, with no red flags.
I also told her that I plan to exclusively breastfeed and that I wish for baby to stay with me for that purpose. She said that as long as baby's sugar is normal and not low, that also should not be a problem. However, if it is low, they will supplement with formula. (Ouch.) She said that it would just be enough to bring her levels up and it should not cause nipple confusion.

My son and I never did well with nursing. My milk took days to come in and He never learned to properly latch, so for the 3 months that we tried, it was always very painful for me. I was not diligent about getting the help I needed and pumping like I should as well. It was very stressful because I became a single mother 3 weeks after he was born, so I was dealing with a lot during that time. Things are much different this time around and I have taken the time to educate myself a little!

Breastfeeding and bonding with my baby is my biggest concern at this point. I want no painkillers that will affect her and make her groggy. I'm afraid if I get the epidural, that will affect her as well. I do have friends that have had them and some that have had c-sections and both have successfully breastfed for a year or more.

I have noticed this time around that my breasts are already producing colostrum, so could that be a good sign that my milk could come in better?
it can take up tp 3 days for your milk to fully come in, so I woulodnt stress about that too much, every time you put baby to breast you should drink at least one full glass of water as water is more important for milk production than food is, also putting baby to breast often will help with your milk, if you breastfeed on demand, not to a schedule you shouldnt have any worries with your milk,  breastfeeding on demand means that you may initally be feeding every 1 1/2 to 3 hrs, I would re iterate your wishes regarding your wishes for how you would like to birth etc, again so she is fully aware , I have had 10 babies all  natural, and it is better if you are able to be mobile while in labour as this helps with the pain, and also puts baby in optimum position for birth, when you lie on your back to give birth your pelvis is 40% smaller than when your in an upright position, ultimatley the welfare of yourself and baby are whats most important, but if everything seems to be progressing normally dont be afraiod to go with how your feeling and how you want your birth to go, remember, just like a wedding, its your birth :)
I really hope all goes well during labor and I can move around. If she needs to be on a monitor, hopefully it won't hinder that. And I am horrible at not drinking enough water, so I definitely have to work on that!
If your baby needs to be supplemented, she can be fed via spoon or cup to completely avoid nipple confusion. According to LLI spoon, cup or finger feeding (w/ SNS) will not interfere w/ breastfeeding. This can be done as soon as baby is born. :) We want to avoid all artificial nipples for the first few weeks while breastfeeding is being established.

Come check out our breastfeeding community too for more answers! :)
I finally took the time to write up a birth plan for us. Our prenatal care is at a high risk perinatal center and we will be delivering at a hospital. Would this be a realistic birth plan to ask the hospital to follow? I am hoping labor begins on it's own, however, if it doesn't happen by her due date of August 7, we have been advised they will induce. :(

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RZ0g98qWx0ughxgtdsneYBBTreOUCkUivsKPJOj1mXw/edit
bump
"К сожалению, запрошенная страница (или документ) не существует.":

This is what I'm pulling up when I follow the link to your birth plan. :(

Try to copy and paste the whole plan in a separate post! I can't wait to read it!!! :)