Husband Coached Childbirth
I am reading Dr Bradley's, "The Husband Coached childbirth" and am pretty set on a natural childbirth utilizing my husband rather then a duela/midwife. Is anyone else going or had gone this route. He will be reading the book next and am not sure if their are any good natural child birth classes in the area. We are attending the ones at the hospital I will be giving birth in, but pretty sure it's not natural childbirth based. The book is full of good info and advice on how to do it but would like to attend more then just my relaxation and mediation class.
I am an obstetric anesthesiologist who endorses natural childbirth.  If you can afford a doula I'd encourage you to use one.  I do not believe in the husband coached childbirth, especially for your first delivery.
There is a difference between pain and suffering.  If you move from the former into the latter you need to have someone there who can help you decide whether it is better to abandon your natural childbirth choice.  A first time father doesn't have the experience.
I'd urge you to find a doula who is willing to support your choices and your needs; one who is not wedded to natural childbirth at all costs, but understands some women may not be able to get there.
Look for one at Doulas of North America (DONA).
And good luck.  I hope it is a supremely fulfilling experience.
jackast