Pregnancy: Birth Plan Community
birthing plan ???'s

Communicate with other expecting mothers, partners, doulas & members about C-section/ cesarean section, epidural, induced labor, natural childbirth, pain management, vaginal delivery, water birth, strep b positive, high risk pregnancy, VBAC, bed rest, pelvic floor dysfunction, repeat cesarean, partner present, and childbearing women’s rights.

birthing plan ???'s

Hi! I'll be 23 weeks tomorrow and though it's early, I'm working on my birthing plan. I found one on the Huggies website that I used.......but does anyone know of any really good templates anywhere else on the web?

Also, what vaccines do babies get at birth? I am trying to avoid completely unnecessary vaccines!

Also.....the eye treatment after birth....which is better for baby? Erythromycin/antibiotic or the silver nitrate? And what's the Vit. K do?
You can't get silver nitrate anymore.  They stopped using that oh, about 10 years ago or so.  At least in the US.  It's all erythromycin oint now.

The Vitamin K is to prevent a rare blood clotting disorder of the newborn, who do not synthesize this important vitamin right away.  Almost all newborns receive this shot.  You can refuse, though it does mean you are gambling that your child will not be the one who needed it.  

The only other shot that is offered in the hospital is the HepB vaccine.  You do not have to take this at birth.  It is a series of 3 shots, but you don't have to start it that soon.  Discuss the pros and cons with your pediatrician.  

Birth plans are fine as long as you don't get too attached to them.  In general, most everything that is in them is routinely done anyway, unless you have something very different in mind.  You'll have to show it to your obstetrician beforehand to rule out things that he/she definately won't go along with.  Remember that you won't be stricken mute when you are admitted to the hospital.   Though you'll be uncomfortable, I've never seen a laboring woman who couldn't state very clearly what she wanted and when she wanted it!  

Birth is an event that evolves as it unfolds, so no one "plan" will cover it.  Have some wishes in mind, write them down if you think it will help YOU, but most times it really isn't necessary.  
I agree with the above poster.  I just talked things over with my Dr. and let her know what I wanted, such as an epidural.  Some things are really out of your control, I had to get an episiotomy with my first one to try avoid tearing badly.  It is much easier to stitch up the cut than the tear.  It could not be helped, and my son was too big, he tore all the way through.  I can say that the cut part healed faster and felt better than the tear.  I did talk with my Dr. and made sure that she would do it if needed, but not if she felt I was fine without it.  Most Dr.'s will begin to talk about the birth as it gets closer.  She was sure to make notes in my chart and the nurses were able to read it and take care of me.  Really though, you have to be prepared for anything, and if it's your first, you really don't know what to expect and how your labor will progress.  Both of my births were completely different too, you just never know what is going to happen, so be flexible and don't feel bad or get down on yourself if something changes.  The main thing is to have a happy and healthy baby at the end.  Good luck!
I realize that they aren't always able to stick to a birthing plan. Most of the things I am requesting deal with postpartum issues and drugs. :) My doctor is really full of himself and sometimes can be a jerk when it's the patient's turn to talk. I like him...he's good at what he does....but I just want to make sure he has my ideas down before I give birth.

The birthplan template I got from my birthing center (which is only a 2 year old trauma center/hospital.birthing center) is what asked me about the option of the silver nitrate for eye treatment. (?????)

Yeah....I think he takes on WAY too many patients and just doesn't have time to shut up and listen! lol My best friend and sister in law went to him and he actually told them he prefers a birthing plan if you have special wishes for post partum. That's what I'm most concerned about.....that's a big moment!! (And I suppose no matter how much anyone screws it up it'll still be the best moment of my life! lol)
I can see writing out your wishes if that's the case.  I hope he's not a jerk when you hand them to him.  I have heard some Dr.'s can be that way.  As far as I know they just use the ointment and I was not given a choice, they automatically do it to prevent infection.  You can always ask the Dr. and even check with the Labor and Delivery nurses, they are so great and will be with you almost the entire labor.  Most Dr.'s just stop by to check on you and then right beofre your baby arrives they come in to deliver.  I found that the nurses were my best friends in labor.  They made sure I got my epidural and that I was comfortable and they answered all of my questions.  Good luck with your Dr., sounds like a good idea to be prepared.
to be honest after two births i think birth plans are a load of rubbish ! i know once its all going on you dont give a monkeys what happens as long as it comes out  , a naked santa could be stood there for all you care , honesly dont dwell on it just go with the flow and all will fall in to place . good luck x x
Why are you avoiding vaccines? (Just curious)
Do you know the CDC recommendations?