Pregnant with Shingles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm almost 9 weeks pregnant, I just got home from the hospital and the doc told me I have shingles. There is nothing they can do or give me that I will take because there are no studies on meds with pregnant woman. I know the cause I just don't know what if anything will happen to my baby. I'm freaking out here. Most people with shingles are in there 60's. I'm not even 30. All I can find is that women who are pregnant don't get shingles and stay away from anyone with shingles. Hello I have shingles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know but Ima lose my mind. The doc said this could last 6 to 8 weeks...this isn't fun yall. I don't know what to do???????????????????????????????
I just got back from the ER again. I read too much online and got all freaked out!!!!!!!! The doctor told me I had nothing to worry about, that shingles cannot harm the baby. I also got to hear the baby's heartbeat and that made me feel much better, bpm 155 and strong. I'm going to bed now and try to get some sleep.
Shingles can be scarey I know...I'm an RN and if anyone has shingles on our floor I stay away from them!  It's good that you went back to set your mind at ease!  Isn't is the neatest hearing the heartbeat!?!?!
You can't get shingles from someone else but you can get chickenpox if you have never had them. And you can only get chickenpox if the person with shingles has the open blisters and you touch it. Your an RN you should know that.
There's really no need to act like that.  As a matter of fact I DO know that.....I apologize for not mentioning that I have NEVER had the chicken pox....in addition, anyone can contract shingles whether or not they have had the chicken pox if the blisters are open and weeping.  It's a herpes virus which is very contagious.
oh my
If you have never had chickenpox I believe there is a shot you can get, there is also one for shingles. I know they give a chickenpox shot to kids now days, my son got the shot but I don't remember how old he was at the time. It was before he started school.  And yes if you have never had chickenpox you should stay away from anyone with chickenpox or shingles. It is only contagious if you have never had chickenpox.
I had a titer done several years ago and they claim that I 'should not' be able to get them......My Dad has never had them either....The 'should not' still makes me nervous so I just stay away....My OB is aware but of course I didn't see him until I was preggo and I guess they won't give the vaccination while pregnant.....So I'll probably get it after having the baby just to be safe.  :o)
Just got back from my doctor. He is not sold on the idea it's shingles. Now I'm back to square one. He did some swabs so I will know something Tuesday. This is so crazy.
Well, at least he thinks everything is OK with the baby right?  I hate when they can't figure it out!  Is it just like an itchy rash all over?  Or in 'warm spots' (under arms, under breasts, etc etc)?  Has it been spreading at all?
Yes the baby is ok and heartbeating well at 155 bpm. He says it looks like shingles but not acting like it because it's on more than one nerve line. It's a painful rash all up my right arm, shoulder and back. My armpit hurts like mad crazy but no rash there. The rash burns and tingles and hurts all the way to my bones. It's like it's gets worse everyday. It's driving me nuts. But at lease my PCP did swabs to find out what it is, when last night the ER did nothing. Do ya see why all this is going to make me a mad crazy pregnant woman???? Plus this is my first pregnancy in 10 years so it's like the first time all over again. Dang it they are supposed to know what's wrong with me. I know it's not hives but if I don't stop going crazy I may end up with hives anyway.errrrrrrrrrrr This is just nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!
still here with shingles, this stuff hurts so bad. nohing to take for pain, even clothes hurt.
Oh boy...no improvement at all?  Have you tried Tylenol?  It's certainly not the strongest of pain killers, but at least it's pregnancy safe and may help a tad!!
I would not wish this on anyone...it's that bad! I gave in and started taking Valtrex, it has helped. I can't sleep at night, too hot or too cold, trips to the bathroom, laying on my arm that hurts, my husband snorning and many more. The pain in unreal, the Valtrex has helped with the speeding up of the healing or to me it has. I just wish I could take some killer pain killers for this.
My husband on the other hand has been so super at home. I have not had to do anything since he has been home. (He works out of town, home weekends.) He has cooked, cleaned, washed clothes and dishes, I mean everything. I really don't know how to act. I even got flowers!!!! I gotta keep him on my good side so he will help me the next time I need him to.
I do feel better but I know it's not over yet. I would be fine but the pain is unreal.
The doctors office called today to tell me by swab tests came back clean. That nothing grew in the lab. I was like you got to be kidding me right, I told them that the rash turned into blisters and hurt like no other. That I had been taking Valtrex for 3 days now and it seems to be getting better but I still have the pain.
Wow you got me....on what you are suffering from.  Shingles is scary...but if its not that what is it?  And it does sound like a form of herpes of some sort (blisters, pain, etc) but they cant determine what kind?  How frustrating!! Anyone else your family suffering from the same?

If the meds are working and arent harmful Id say give it 5-7 days on progress and go back to the doc to see what they think. All the best to you!!
Shingles is a form of chickenpox, they both are types of the herpes virus. There are 8 different types of herpes. So you take the same meds for most or all of them. And yes the shingles are much better now thanks. I can wear a shirt now, although my husband didn't mind me not wearing one cuz my boods are much bigger now LOL!!! I also have HSV-2 which is gential herpes but the two have nothing to do with each other. When my doc did the swab test the blisters on the shingles were not there yet and that is why nothing showed up on the swab results. But all is better now and that is great for everyone around me. I hope none of yall ever get shingles, it is one of the worst things I have had. There are now vaccines for shingles and I think everyone should get one as soon as they can.
Glad you are feeling better!!