Pregnancy: Dec 2009 Babies Community
What do contractions feel like?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in December 2009.

What do contractions feel like?

Hey ladies, I'm 35 weeks with my first child, and I was wondering if any moms out there could tell me what contractions feel like. While I was loading the dishwasher today, I started to feel a sharp pain behind/to the left of my bellybutton. When I put my hand on my stomach it felt a lot harder than it usually does, but it only lasted for a few seconds. This happened three times for less than ten seconds within a ten minute period. DH wanted to call out of work to stay with me just in case, but I sent him to work anyway. Once he left, I sat down on the couch and the pains stopped. Any comments or info? Thank you!
Any help at all would be much appreciated. :/
Have you been having Braxton Hicks contractions? Since it stopped when you sat down, it kinda sounds like Braxton Hicks. From what I've read, braxton hicks tend to go away when you change position, while real labor contractions do not. This is my first, though, so I don't really know what to expect from real contractions, but I have been having Braxton Hicks since early on in my pregnancy. Sometimes they're a bit painful, other times they're not, but I can feel the uterus tighten and if I try to push on my tummy, it's hard as a rock!

If you do feel contractions, change your position (if sitting, get up and move around; or sit down if you're already up). Also, try emptying your bladder and drink some water (in case you're dehydrated). If they still continue, lie down on your left side and see if the contractions go away. If they don't, but you have 5 or fewer in an hour, it's fine. But if you have 6 or more in an hour, you need to go and get checked out...i case it's premature labor.

It sounds like a baby part maybe causing pain more than a contraction.  I've been getting random sharp pains  a little above my belly button and to the the side as well, but I've also been having painful braxton hicks since early on.  Usually when I get the sharp pain my belly is hard also, and it's usually from a baby butt.  Things are getting very smooshed, and near the end there will be a lot more pains.  
Heather covered everything about contractions, so just keep an eye on the pain, and you can always call your Dr. for reassurance also.  
I don't remember contractions ever being a sharp pain, it was always like I was having a giant rubber band squeezed around my whole torso.
Thank you so much! I also heard that the Braxton Hicks go away when you walk around. But since I've been sitting on the couch, they've started up again, and they don't go away when I walk around.
i am having contractions since 24w. There will bve lot of pressure/pain in the lower abdomen and back. Contractions will come in intervals, 15-20 in apart or 10 min apart or 3-4 min apart. If you have those more than 4 in an hour, call your dr. so everytime you have such pain look at the time and see if they are coming in intervals. If they are false contractions, they will go away after some time, for me sometimes after lying for an hour, 2hrs and last friday after 4 hrs. For me it was not pain, only pressure but they were recorded as contractions. At 35w it is common to have contractions occassionally, as the body is getting prepared for labor but as i said, always call dr if they are coming in intervals.
This is my first pregnancy too so I have no idea really.  I think I have been having BH contractions for a while but I get mostly period like cramps.  The info from everyone was helpful though!

*isthisnormal...are you still having the pains?
Yeah, usually in the morning. Like, yesterday it was when I was slightly bent at the waist while loading the dishwasher. This morning I was picking up blankets off the floor (my boyfriend sleeps on the floor because I can't get comfortable with him in the bed), and I started getting them again. So my mum and I were keeping an eye on the pains for a while today.

I was supposed to have an appointment with my OB today but I guess she took off 'cause I had to reschedule for Friday. Which I'm not too happy about because A) I wanted to talk about the pains, B) We were supposed to do a Strep B test C) check my cervix, and D) make an appointment to meet with the anesthesiologist.

I'm just having a frustrating day. :(
My BH contractions act up when I am cleaning.  LOL...that is sweet he sleeps on the floor for you!
I'm sorry about your OB appt.  Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.  
I have been extremely sick with a cold or flu or something so I am frustrated too!
Let us know what the OB says about the pains when you go in Friday!
Well my appointment is today! The Nor'eastern storm cancelled my appointment last Friday. I'll be sure to tell you what's going on as soon as I get home! :D

Cross your fingers that I've progressed some!