Pregnancy: Dec 2010 Babies Community
Annoyed at my lack of options!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in December 2010.

Annoyed at my lack of options!!

I'm going to make this into a poll.  My insurance technically covers homebirth with a midwife but she has to be a CNM for them to pay for anything.  There are a lot of midwives in my area but none are CNM so currently my options are hospital birth with OBGYN ( >_< ) or Unassisted Childbirth (which my husband would fight me about if he even knew it was an option).  So much for homebirth coverage!

Anywhoo... what are you planning on doing?
55%
 (5) 
Hospital Birth by choice
22%
 (2) 
Hospital Birth, but want something else
22%
 (2) 
Birthing Center
9 Members voted
DANG KEYBOARD I DIDN"T MEAN TO BE DONE YET!
Just vote Birthing Center for homebirths too.  Sorry!
yeah it's a bit frustrating, i can't get a homebirth covered either.  but i do have a freestanding birth center as an option that is 30 minutes away, so that's what we are planning.
We have a freestanding birth center around here too but there aren't any CNMs in their practice so I can't use it.
I'm not sure about your area, but I have seen where it is illegal to purposely give birth at home on your own in some areas. I'm sure you could make up something like you didn't think you were so close, or it went fast if you really wanted to do it. BUT think of the things that could go wrong. If you can go to a birthing center than do that because at least you have qualified professionals there still. I would love nothing more than an all natural birth with this baby after having to have a c-section with my son, but I'll definitely be delivering in the hospital either way. MY basis for this is because I did have a c-section first, and don't know if anything will go wrong, but even with my son I wanted a water birth in the hospital for fear of the worst happening and needing immediate medical intervention. I'm sure being at a birthing center you'd be able to get quick access to medical help if needed. I voted birthing center because if you want the all natural birth and not to be in a hospital it's your best bet.
Oops...lol. I didn't pay attention it's for us that we vote, not you...lol. Anyways, I'm going to try all natural in the hospital.
There aren't very many legal ways they can restrict you.  The father cannot catch the baby in Nebraska (misdemeanor but still hard to prove) and midwives are illegal in some states but UC isn't illegal in any state.  It would be a very hard law to enforce too, how would they know the baby just showed up faster than the parents expected?!

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/uc/legal.html
I'm not sure...I personally find it ridiculous that they'd even make a law about giving birth in your own home, unassisted, that's the way they used to do it. I mean my great grandmother never saw a dr for her babies...she delivered all of them at home in her own bed...I've just seen shows on tv where women wanted to give birth unassisted at home and were facing issues because it wasn't legal where they were...