Pregnancy: Dec 2010 Babies Community
Preeclampsia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in December 2010.

Preeclampsia

Had my weekly OB appt yesterday. My BP was 137/82. This in and of itself is not unusual; with the exception of my first trimester, my systolic measurements range 113-138. Diastolic is always fine. However, there was a trace amount of protein in my urine. OB said a trace amount is not a huge concern. But she ordered a CBC to check my LFTs and platelets, and I'm doing a 24 hour urine test to generate baseline data to monitor for proteinuria. I also have edema (can be a sign of preeclampsia), but my OB said this is not a reliable measurement of preeclampsia since I am 37 weeks and swelling is normal at this stage. I have no other signs or symptoms: no headache, no blurred vision, no epigastric pain. Knock on wood.

OB explained a few possibilities: could be mild preeclampsia, and by the time I progress to more severe preeclampsia, I will have most likely gone into labor naturally and delivered baby; could progress more quickly to preeclampsia and that would necessitate induction before 40 weeks, which they are not terribly concerned about avoiding since I am 37 weeks; or, could be nothing.

Of course, I am in a bit of a panic. Yes, I am full-term now, so having the baby sooner rather than later would not be the worst thing in the world. But I am really nervous about being induced. For whatever reason, I'm afraid of getting pitocin and I'm REALLY afraid of having my cervix manually dilated (exam yesterday showed no dilation, no softening yet). I'm also very nervous about having a magnesium sulfate IV if my BP climbs too high (mostly worried about effect on baby, but also worried about effect on me and my birthing experience). And I'm not letting myself even think about a worse outcome.

Anyone have advice or experience to share?
that;s almost exactly where my BP was Monday and my midwife wasn't really that concerned.  Same goes for the mild swelling i have now.
She did say to try to lay on my left side during the day when possible to help with the edema and the BP.
I have another appointment on Thursday and they will recheck it then (assumingI have not gone into labor).
My midwives don't do pelvic exams routinely to check for dilation until active labor since it means nothing and the exams are uncomfortable, so I have no idea if I am dilated or effaced at all at this point.
How did things turn out for you?  I had my 38 week appt. and I was at 120/78 (I'm usually in the 90/60 range so this was a big jump.  I also have some protein.  Belly is measuring 4 weeks behind, his heartrate was in the 110s, and his fluid level was a little low.  With all of that - with this being my third, they were still not too concerned.

This is similar to what happened with my first and it never turned into anything, but they seemed to be more concerned that time.  I'm just to watch his kicks more and make sure he's still moving.  I am dilated to a 4 so if I do need to be induced things should be fine, but I'm still a little concerned.
My next appt is this Friday. So no news yet. My doc didn't seem so concerned last week, and she said my blood and 24 hour urine test were more for baseline data in case my BP continues to rise and I need additional monitoring. So I wasn't expecting any phone calls or results. My amniotic fluid is fine and Baby is measuring a bit above target, which they said is good.

They told me any BP over 140/90 is a red flag, but not reason alone to panic (you need other symptoms to be preeclampsic). Luckily, yours is not there yet. How much protein did they find? Maybe you just have PIH, which is different than preeclampsia and would not necessitate induction or intervention. Any signs of labor yet? You are almost there...I'm sure all is well; no doc would let you go home if they were very worried.

Sending positive vibes your way!