Ok...I have pretty good news. Although I am 40 y.o. I received the results of my first trimester screening. The blood test alone (since baby didn't cooperate for the nuchal translucency measurement) showed me at a risk of 1:1300. I am obviously pleased. What I forgot to ask the MD office, however, is whether or not the lack of the measurement affects this risk factor. Anyone know the answer to that? Based on the results....I have decided not to have an amnio. Although I am 40 I realize there still is a chance of an abnormality (since this is only a screening test) but I figure the odds of having a miscarriage with amnio is 1:300. With my odds of having a child with an abnormality is 1:1300 I think I'll take these odds. Still nervous, however. My 19 week U/S is on 7/9/10 and they did say they may be able to detect a spina bifida but only if it's large....that's my biggest fear...not Down's....Down's we can deal with.....a child can still have quality of life...anyway, now I'm rambling. I guess my question is.....with numbers like mine....would you have the amnio? Thanks!
i am having the amnio because i NEED to know. it's driving me nutty thinking of all the possibilities....and my down's risk is 1:165 so that's higher than yours (mine is based on blood and normal measurements on the US)
while downs i can deal with, i want the extra time to prepare emotionally and to get resources lined up, as well as to explain to the families, etc. i also think i would need to have time to grieve/cope before i am sleep deprived with a newborn...
the odds of any complications from an amnio (at my clinic) is 1:500 with their miscarriage rate less than that. you also have to look at how they calculate the m/c risk. most calculate the number of m/c in women who have had amnios vs those who have not, but since it's the higer risk pregnancies that opt to have the procedure in the first place, it would make sense there would be a higher m/c rate even if the procedure was entirely without risk (which it is not)
but you have to live with the decision so go with your gut. no right answer i'm afraid...
Thanks, Happynifer....I agree with the idea of beging emotionally prepared and researching support services, etc...it's the reason I was swaying towards an amnio myself. And it's the reason why I still am a bit torn. But my hubby and I talked it through and decided to opt out. Even with odds of 1:500 I just would NEVER forgive myself if something went wrong. I agree it's a personal choice....and there is no right or wrong answer...only what's right and wrong for you as a couple. Good Luck....and thank you again for your thoughtful answer. :)
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.