Pregnancy: Dec 2012 Babies Community
In labor or not in labor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in December 2012.

In labor or not in labor?

Ok, I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first child. My husband works third shift and is 20 minutes away from our house. I'm nervous to go into labor with no one else around, but I figured if I do then I call the doctor and have them count my contractions and tell if/when to come in. But at my last appointment the doctor told me "if you have to call to see when to come in, then stay at home. We don't take reservations" what the heck!? So I'm even more stressed to be alone! How can I know for sure, what contractions are and how to time them properly!?
My hubby works shift work and he has been taking the cell to work.  You will know when you are having contractions, unlike braxton hicks they are painful.  Bad period cramps that will come and go.  Have a pen and paper handy to time them if you are alone.  If for 1 hr they are consistent at say 7 min between each contraction i would call your hubby to come home and pick you up depending on how far you are from the hosp.  Once you're contractions start I would call your hubby and let him know what you are experiencing just so he knows and is aware you might be calling in the next few hours.  I did that with my hubby.  I hope this helps.
Thank you so very much. I'm just so anxious and nervous! I don't want to be at home and in labor alone! I certainly don't want to call the paramedics.
Is there a friend that you can call to sit with you and help you time the contractions?  That might help ease your mind too.
there are online contraction timers that will help you keep track. All you have to do is push start button when contrations start and stop button when contraction is over. much easier to keep track of when u r alone. I used this when my husband was at work and i went into labor with my second daughter. congrats on your baby! believe me u will know when it is  time to go to the hospital whether u time them or not. U will know.
I'm sorry, but I'm preggy with my 7th child. Contractions feel nothing like a period cramp. Contractions are tightening of the uterus that goes all the way around your "tummy". Period cramps are usually lower abdominal pains. If u have a smart phone, go into your market and search labor contraction apps. Or if not, start the time from the start of one contraction to the start of the next. Also time how long the contractions last as the dr/hospital may want to know.