Pregnancy: Dec 2012 Babies Community
Prenatal Screens.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in December 2012.

Prenatal Screens.

How do you feel about them? Have you guys done any? I'm trying to decide if I should. I know it's only my choice, but I'd like to hear your choices and why you chose the route you did.
I decided to forego those types of testing. I knew I did not want to do any invasive testing because they come with a risk for miscarriage, though low. I would have been okay with doing non-invasive testing such as a triple or quad screen, but because I work for a Catholic organization, though I am not Catholic, I learned that these (like birth control) would not be covered. Plus I learned at 8 wks I was having twins which means the already questionable effectiness of such a test would be even lower. Plus I have to get ultrasounds every 4 weeks because it is a multiple pregnancy.

I think the most important questions to think about or discuss with your partner is what is your risk? Do you have a personal or family history of babies with genetic problems? Are you guys of advanced parental age (>35 for you or >40 for your partner) And ultimately what would you do if you learned there was a 'problem'?

The last one is what made my decision for me- I knew that I did not have the heart to abort, no matter what the test showed.
I didn't with all three of my pregnancies.  I wouldn't terminate if there was an issue so why go through all the what ifs and guessing.  If there is a family history like heathert_kc mentioned then I would definitely consider it.
Well I'm 23 and he's 25, I know there's false positives and I wouldn't do anything regardless. He's adopted and we have no information on his family history.. so I really don't know.