Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
Drugs or Natural?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

Drugs or Natural?

Just wondering if people have decided on what kind of birth experience/plan that they would like yet..

Who is going natural?
Who definitely wants drugs?
Who is going to try natural, but is happy to have the drugs to resort to if they feel the need?

What kind of birth do you want?
I am thinking to go natural. I will try to tolerate the pain as much as I can.
I want a drug free birth.  :)  And if there is a legitimate complication at birth, drugs would be ok, but the minimum is what I would hope for.
I'm going to try natural childbirth, but it's my first, so I'm not sure yet what to expect as far as pain. I printed out a "birth plan" on the internet...it was SO fun, you just go through and select all the little boxes, and print the results! I'm going to show it to my doctor and have it with me at the hospital, because I know how vulnerable and distracted you are when you're in labor, and I don't want anything going on that I haven't approved. I hate pitocin, and plan to stay at home as long as possible after my contractions start, because the longer you labor in the hospital, the more they try to push drugs on you, at least that's what I've heard. I'm excited that others of you are interested in trying natural birth, too! I think that most, or a lot of, women just go in passively, and do whatever the doctors and nurses tell them to....I wish more women would at least educate themselves.
I would love to try and have natural birth, but i heard that it just hurts too much.

My best friend just gave birth to her baby girl (which was a surprise) on friday and she did natural, not by choice though. Her water broke and there wasnt enough time.

She had drugs with her first (Matthew, who is now 18 months old).

I went and saw her and the baby (Makenna) today and she is precious.
8 pounds, 13 ounces, 21 inches long!
I am going to try a water birth...i think. I havent actually decided for sure yet. But i will definitely try to go without drugs, but I have no idea what to expect and I'm not good with pain at all so I could very well end up getting an epidural.

Does anyone know any other pain management tips? I think an epidural is a bit extreme, i dont react well to strong medications, i have very severe reactions and i dont feel like an epidural is right for me, but what else is there if i cant take the pain?
You can have gas, or pethidine. If you have the pethidine, I recommend that you ask for an anti nausea needle (goes in your bottom) at the same time. It commonly makes people nauseous, and the last thing you need is pain and nausea/vomiting..

http://www.****.***

http://www.****.***

One natural pain management option that I would recommend, is warm/hot water sprayed onto your stomach/lower back from a detachable shower head. I am not sure if that is available in American hospitals though. In Australia, if you have private health cover and go to a private hospital- the birthing rooms have their own bathrooms. I sat on one of those big exercise balls and got my partner to alternate the water from my stomach to my back. It helps to relax the muscles between contractions.
when i first found out that i was pregnant i really wanted to opt for a c section, im so squeemish when it comes to things like this! but now i keep feeling him move ive developed a huge bond with this baby inside me and weather painfull or not im going to try my best with natural, i dont want to miss any part of feeling my baby, i wont say no to pain relief if needs be but this may be the only baby i have due to the huge age gap between me and my boyfriend so it would be a real shame not to feel the experiance.
does anyone know weather gas and air is availabe in spanish hospitals? ive heard they dont like using it
I really want a natural delivery if at all possible.  After my recent surgery experience (which is like 1/2 a c-section, but without cutting the uterus), and which I am not yet fully recovered from, I definitely want to avoid surgery.

They did epidural when i had the exp-lap and I still have a leg that is 1/2 numb from that so I am definitely don't want epidural.

Am scared they will try to push me to have c-section because it's my first at my age (38), because of the recent surgery and because of the gestational diabetes.  But will do my best to resist that.  I've told my Obe already that I don't want a c-section, unless it really is necessary, but haven't discussed with her in detail yeet.

I am working to get and stay as fit as possible now to try to avoid needing a c-section.

Sally
I am completely torn, my epidural with my first did not work completely so I felt most of it anyways according to conversations with my sister and since I really thought getting the epidural was the most prolonged painful part of the process I am tempted to skip it however since I do know what it feels like and that I will have to do it twice in one day I might be inclined to give the epidural one more try. Unfortunately they don't hand out awards for being brave and enduring everything even though I feel they should, so if drugs can make it a less fearful experience for some especially if you already know you have a low pain tolerance I would recommend it. There are some things they can give you to help take the edge of contractions as well but still have all feeling intact for delivery - I have heard that sometimes it makes you a better pusher if you can feel what is going on and plus you will obviously want the baby out pronto by then. I pray that I don't deliver one vaginally and end up with a c-section for the other but in the end whatever is safest for them is the way we will go my true intentions and feelings aside!!!!
I did it natural 3 times, but my labors were only 6hrs, 3hrs, and 1 1/2 hrs. So if that is any indication of how quick this one will go, I will go natural again... However if there are any complications I might not have choice. You never knowhow these things will go!
wow you ladies are brave.  i would love a c-section because i am a big chicken but if i go vaginal, it will be meds all the way.  i am a tough girl when it comes to other things but having something come from my private area, i will opt for the least pain possible.

i commend you ladies, you are a lot braver than i am.
i am going to try to go natural but i am not opposed to small amounts of meds if needed or if the pain is too severe.... but we shall see how it goes....
me personally   i tried to  go natural  with my  frist one and  i ended up have to be induced and was in  labor  about 37 hours  with no pain med and no dlation past three cm i go thte  epidural and  then things went  quickly . i opted for the  epidural with my son and  i was also induced for him and i am  was in labor for r4 hours  much better experience  so  i am think  the  epidural all the way  why be in a large amount  of pain when u  dont have to be . so this time  it  is going to be the  epidural  again
ahhhhhhhhh its the worst pain ever! dont believe it when women say oo its fine that is because they got to the hospital and were only on 3 or 4 cm and got an epidural for me i got there on 6 cm and got an epidural around 7 8 and dialted to 10 cm within an hour. i labor fast i didnt even realize i was in labor at first lol i was just so scared i put my self in the shower for an hour my dh didnt believe i was in labor and i even  had  abloody show until i told him the pains were coming closer and closer oo boy that pain i will never ever forget it is horrible when i got to the hospital i couldnt even walk i suffered and waiting for the epidural felt like a lifetime of PAIN!
the only drug that will work is epdiural all those other drugs won't help when i say the pain is bad its bad watch a video on natural birth and u will see for you self lol hope everyone makes the right choice ididnt even feel the needle because i was in sooooo much pain. i didnt feel a thing and within 20 sec the pains were gone and i felt awesome