Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
Ever heard of this

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

Ever heard of this

Ok, hope someone can share I am kind of freaking here.

I just bathed Michaela and was giving her a massage.  Then I was cleaning around her vagina and I saw that there is no opening.  Now this is the first time I examined it closely so I have no idea if it was open before and now it's not or if it was never open (though I never noticed anything before).  Currently there is just a thin line.  Though she can still urinate fine, so there must be a small opening though I can't really see just now.

Then I freaked.  Then I started looking on line.  I read on line just now that there is such a thing as a fused vagina.  This means the labia are joined together - apparently this is quite common 1 - 10% of little girls, but hardly known.  Usually it self corrects. The alternative is some congenital defect!  Anyway, I am going to have to see her pediatrician.  

Hope all is fine! Geez!  Anyone ever heard of this?

S

I
did her ped exam her when she was first born and at her first few appts?  my ped looked at jaedyns penis to make sure it was fine.

sometimes lil girls parts are so small that they can look odd.  i would have your doctor/ped look at it though.
Yes. My health nurse commented one day (when Anna was a baby) that it was good that I use bepanthen (a lanolin creme) at every nappy change and start applying it inside her vagina lips and then all around the vagina and nappy area. She said that some little girls sort of heal shut, and that greasing things up in there would prevent that.
Hmmm.... too late to grease it up - I've never used nappy cream on her as she's never had nappy rash. Already shut!  

Talked to my sis who has 3 kids.  She reckon's it's normal and I shouldn't worry about it and usually it opens up by itself by the time they're 12 months or so.  She said her daughter also had it and she knows of other mums she's close with whose daughter's also had it.

Guess we don't really look closely down there and then don't talk about things like that....

Never heard of it...I think I'm going to check Myra out now!!

I can tell you something that happened to my son when he was born...

He was born Naturally Circumcised.  Theres a LONG name for it...he needed correction on it when he was 9 months old because there was SO much extra skin and they needed to straighten it out.  The told me they took the extra skin to use it to straighten out the baby's penis.  =(  1 out of 5,000 boys get this condition.  I was nervous as HECK when the nurses told me there was something wrong with him that finding out we needed to travel 5 hours to a specialized hospital.  The surgery took 2 hours and it's still not normal looking.  Better then it was, but theres SO much scar tissue because he was so little.  They said between 6-12 months is when they preform the surgery on these boys.  I'm PRAYING (in 20+ years) he'll be able to have kids.  Scares the heck out of me when I bath him.  I just get reminded of everything that went on.  I had to stop breasting feeding because of the surgery too. It was just a tough time.  

Hope everything gets better.  Let us know what you find out~Good luck
When I had my baby girl (34 years ago now...geesshhh) we found out that she was actually allergic to Pampers.  (The baby powder scent in the diapers)  She had terrible rashs.  Anyway, we had to put doctor prescribed ointment on her everywhere down there and it was very obvious that she had a vaginal opening.  She even had a discharge when she was less than a week old, which we know was from the Pampers.  Irritation.

At your next doctor's visit, I would ask him/her about what you have observed.  My newborn was almost 8 pounds, but her vagina was a very small opening, I remember.  Duh, Heather, she was a newborn....LOL

I know all babies are checked for having all the proper "equipment" when they are born.  One of the mother's on the February Forum had a baby that did not have an anal opening...remember?  I guess these kinds of things can be missed at birth.

Not to worry Sally.  I would probably guess since this post is over a week old, that you have found out something by now.
________________

Hi Brandi, I just saw the pictures of Myra.  You ladies are so fortunate to have such beautiful babies.  Wow!  I've missed you Brandi.  You too, Sally.

Much Love and Mommie Hugs,
Heather
From the MS Forum
Hi Heather,

missed you too!

Haven't found out anything more, other than from on-line that it can be normal in up to 10% of baby girls.  My sister said her baby had the same thing and it resolved by the time she was a toddler. Her friend's daughter also had it.  My friend here in Manila said her daughter had this when she was 7 and then she had to put estrogen cream just on it to open it again.

Only risk is it may predispose to UTI in some girls.  But so far baby has no problem with this.

I'll be seeing her pediatrician by the end of the month and will find out more then. But basically from what I read I'm a bit reassured that it's within normal range and would like to give it a chance to resolve by itself without any intervention.

S
My first born had the same sort of thing happen to her.  I had to put a cream on her to open it back up!  Wasn't a huge concern.
Mikayla had this problem during either her 4 or 6 month check-up.  The pedi noticed it.  He "opened" it himself, it was more like seperated the skin.  He said it does happen, but it needs to be corrected because it could cause issues when older.  He gave me an example of a 14 year old girl he saw in the ER who had the problem and was having life and death issues because of it.  I'm not saying Michaela is life or death but I would bring it up to the pedi during her next check up
It's opened up by itself now that she is so active and it is pretty normal looking as far as I can tell.