Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
Jinxed myself but mystery solved

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

Jinxed myself but mystery solved

Hey leighanne this one is for you. I have been pouring over the posts the past few days to try and  find out exactly what contractions feel like even though I realized they can be different for everyone. I has having some pressure in my pelvis where I litterally felt like my bones were going to come apart when I walked around. I figured it was the babies pushing but a small part of me was surprised at how much I felt considering how small they still are in there. I was also having some burning pains across the top of my belly. I let my OB know this at my appt. on thursday and together we figured the burning was just the boys pushing out really hard and well the whole pelvis thing - what pregnant woman isn't waddeling by now (even though I wasn't two days before) since I hadn't had any other symptoms that day she figured it was an isolated incident and didn't want me spending hours at the hospital (and I was relieved to still having a normal pregnancy). SO I left and went about my errands and went back to my parents house. Slept great for having a stuffed up nose and woke up excited that the cold was leaving me finally. I got out of bed and got Aiden up, we had breakfast and talked to my mom - she went to work and we settled down for some cartoons. The pressure was still there in my hips and had moved to my tailbone kinda like I needed to have a BM, sat in the bathroom nothing happened no big deal as I tend to be constipated a great deal and pressure in my tailbone is nothing new just figured at some point that day I was bound to be successful. Continued to spend time with Aiden, when my dad got up I noticed that my back was getting some sharper pains in my kidney area so I let him occupy Aiden and I drank 30 some oz of water and laid on my left side. I tried the bathroom a few more times with no success. My back continued to hurt and the sides of my spine were starting to tighten up so I decided to try a warm shower as I still wasn't convinced it was anything and I wanted to try all the things I new they were going to tell me to do if I called the office about it. While in the shower I had a huge surge of pain up the left side of my back and a little down into my butt - enough that I had to change my breathing to get through it and although it was probably only seconds it felt like it lasted a minute or so. That stopped and I decided I needed to take this opportunity to get out of the shower and honestly I felt fine after that. I got dressed slowly and laid on my bed. My back started to tighten back up so I packed some diapers for Aiden and put it at the top of the stairs and went down to call the doctor - I was still feeling a little over paranoid but while waiting for the nurse to call me back it happened again no pain but I just felt squeezed in my hips and back and again had to breathe just alittle differently. They called back and told me to go to labor & delivery, I was an hour away and I figured now that I had made the call everything was going to go away on the car ride - boy was I wrong. It got worse the pain started to spread up my back and around my rib cage which of course sent my heartburn into overdrive and then I started having a crampy stomach. Every 20 minutes it would happen but the cramps got more frequent that I couldn't keep track fo them so I just counted the minutes between the bigger ones. We finally got there and hooked up to the monitors, a small part of me was actually relieved to see contractions being picked up as I dreaded them telling me "look honey you just have to go to the bathroom" and actually they were about 3-5 min apart at one point. So there we stayed all day. They tried hydration and two different medicines to get them to stop. I am 1cm dilated but there was no change with that during our stay and since my preterm labor swab came back negative we were allowed to go home. They gave me a steroid injection for the babies should they come early - we have to go back tonight for the second dose. I have to take procardia every four hours to make sure the contractions don't come back and will probably do so until week 34 at which point they no longer try to stop labor. So since no one has a crystal ball there is no telling if it will be days or weeks for them to arrive but at least now I can say yes I know what contractions feel like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow.....that is crazy. Well, atleast you now know that what  you are feeling is in fact contractions and not something else.
Lets hope they can hang in there a little while longer and grow a little more before the join you in the world.
take it easy and keep us updated!