Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
pregnacy and drugs risks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

pregnacy and drugs risks

Hi my name is jennifer I been taking antibiotics for the past 2 weeks, Omeprazole 20 mg, Metronidazole 500 mg and Clarithromycin 500 mg and also I been taking my birth control pills for the past 3 weeks (Jolivette).
I jus found out today I am pregnant. I'm  concer with the health of the unborn baby. I am worry if the any possibility of births defects and any other problem related to the medications. I would like to know what will be the best option in case I wish to continue the pregnacy or if it will be better to terminated. please help me... Thanks

you need to talk to your doctor.  I believe that omeprazole is ok.  

I also had antibiotics at the time I conceived (unknowingly).  My baby is now nearly 7 weeks old and perfect.

I don't know about metronidazole.

MOst likely no problem as the blood supply to the embryo is not good at the beginning.  But you need ot talk to your doctor and see what to do about the meds urgently an what's ok to take and what should be stopped.

Best wishes...

you can check website at safefetus.com for drug info too.

i just looked up metronidazole.  It's category B.  That means no known risk but no studies have been done.  Use only if benefits outweigh risks.

Clarithromycin is Category C.  It may have risk during pregnancy.  However, think the risks would be for high dose over longer period (remember my last post that Drs. told m3 there's low blood flow the the embryo early on so risk is low) (animal studies use very high doses so may not translate to human usage).  But better stop the drug if you haven't already.

Omeprazole also Category C.  Issue again is with high dose likely.

However I doubt that these drugs would be good basis to terminate the pregnancy unless you don't want a baby.  Please see your doctor.

i as on antibiotics while i was pregnant! lilly 6 weeks old now and fine!
alot of people fall pregnant on the pill and babys are born ok! i think there is a slight risk of eptopic pregnancy but the  risk is very small, so i see no gd reason to termanate the pregnancy unless you dont want a baby
I been taking antibiotics for two weeks last month  to treat the Helicobacter pylori bacteria.Omeprazole 20 mg, Metronidazole 500 mg and Clarithromycin 500 mg.I just missed my period 3 days now and found out that I pregnant.I did some research and found out that this antibiotics an have affect in early pregnancy.Category B and C for FDA.Was anyone in this situation before ? I am concerned for the baby's  health.I dont know if I should do the medical abortion or try to keep the babe.I don't want to take any risks to have an unhealthy babe.Thanks you