Pregnancy: Feb 2010 Babies Community
Is it ok to paint my house while pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2010.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and moving this week, all the walls in the place we are moving to are stark white ( which I despise) I really want to paint it. Do you think this would be safe if I wore a mask and had a fan blowing with the window open or is it too risky?
I would not in the early stages, is there a possibility of getting someone to to paint it for you and you go away for the day so the fumes will be out by the time you get home.
Here's what I found on ivillage.com (This is all direct quotes, not my words ;) )

"Q. We closed on our first house the same week we discovered I was pregnant. Since then, my husband with the help of family members, has been painting the entire house with both latex and oil-based paints. Although I have tried to limit my exposure and remain either outside or in rooms with excellent ventilation and few paint fumes, I am worried about what effect this exposure might have on my baby? I am 6 weeks pregnant.

A. I can understand your concern and of course in a fantasy world somewhere no one would expose themselves to any potential hazardous fumes or drugs or activities... But in reality, most of us do. This is what I could find on the topic.

From M. Paul's "Occupational and Environmental Reproductive Hazards": "Many of the hazardous ingredients found in industrial and art paints have been removed from products intended for household use." Methods of preparation and application differ which may also impact the hazards. Spraying may be more hazardous than brushing.

"No studies have specifically assessed reproductive or developmental health risks associated with painting during home renovation. Inferences must be made from the data on specific constituents of the paints". If the paint was manufactured after 1990, it no longer contains inorganic mercury which is a reproductive hazardous substance.

While organic solvents can be found in all paints, their concentration is considerably less in latex products than in oil based formulations. Daily exposure to such solvents (occupational) has been known to cause an increased risk of miscarriage and sperm defects in male exposure.

Working with the paints and refinishing products is obviously more problematic than being exposed to fumes in a well ventilated area. "Exposure to paints containing ethylene glycol, ethers, mercury or formaldehyde releasing biocides should be avoided."

Another text: "Maternal Fetal Toxicology" by Koren states, "It is unlikely that such a brief low dose exposure will cause any of the conditions that may be associated with occupational exposure throughout pregnancy. Water based paints or latex paints pose no increased reproductive risk because they have low volatility.

I hope that you feel reassured. You seem to be doing all the right things to protect yourself and your baby."
Hey Crystal, I just wanted to let you know that there are certain paints that you can use!

While pregnant with my daughter, I really wanted to paint her room. Home Depot (hopefully you have one near you) carries paint called FreshAir Paint. I believe its VOC free. you can google it. Of course, there isnt as big of a variety of colors, but atleast you can pain!!! THey are very earthy colors....

And the paint doesnt smell at all!!!!
Thanks for all the feedback! I will check out the paint at Home Depot, hopefully it is cheap enough to use, if not I will maybe just have to wait a while, I have a doctors appt. tomorrow, I will also ask her for advise as well. Whatever the case is I do not want to risk hurting my baby, and I will take whatever measures needed to ensure that.
I am 9 and a half months pregnant and my husband sanded the hardwood floor in the dinning room and is wanting to stain it. is this ok for me and my baby? I have been staying in the basement while he does this but am a little bit worried about the risk.
I am 5 and 1/2 months, and I did some painting with a water based paint called Valspar. It smelled alittle so i covered my nose mostly and took breaks.
Then maybe 30 mins. After I threw up alot and to the point bile was coming out alittle. I feel alittle better. Did I have a stomach virus of what i ate before or toxic poison?

Ate dairy queen. Greasy. Steak fingers.

Thanks for the return and advice :)
Sorry, no idea, but call your doctor!!