Pregnancy: Feb 2010 Babies Community
twins different sizes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2010.

twins different sizes

Hi, im 27 and this is my 3rd pregnancy i have 2 healthy children. I went for a scan the other day and was told im expecting non-identical twins. a strong heartbeat was seen on both twins. however they measured significantly differnet one measuring 8 weeks 4 days the other measuring 7 weeks 5 days. I was advised about an anencephalic twin and also about vanishing twin syndrome and booked for a re-scan in 3 weeks time.
I have since read about both these conditions on the internet and am greatly concerned. Please can you advise me why I have been warned of these two conditions and the chances of me getting/having them. Also I felt reassured both had a strong heartbeat but now am very worried, does the heartbeat make a difference. Thank you
My girlfriend had fraternal twins and one measured a week behind aswell. I hope that puts your mind at ease a little bit.
Thanks for ur comment, were the twins different in size right from the beginning?
Yes they were, she was told she conceived them at different times.