Pregnancy: Feb 2011 Babies Community
Ativan in Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2011.

Ativan in Pregnancy

I'm in my third trimester and have begun to have severe panic attacks.  My doctor has just prescribed Zoloft and Ativan to help me cope.  I am really worried about the effects on my baby.  Is there anyone out there who has been on one or both of these drugs while pregnant.  I desperately would like to hear about your experiences.
Oh its going to be ok sweetie. I have taken celexa (for depression) through out my whole thing and I take kolonpin (for anxiety, as needed). The way my doc explained it was that my body, being depressed and having anxiety, needs to function "properly" and if I'm under stress the baby will be too. So I take the celexa daily and the kolonpin only as needed which isn't that often. But so far my baby girl is healthy and measuring very big! And all the tests we've done she's passed. Also taking it this late in pregnancy is a lot safer than your first trimester. :)
Zoloft is the safest antidepressant you can take in pregnancy. I took zoloft my entire pregnancy and my baby girl is healthy happy rarely cries just a calm peaceful baby. Klonopin does have some risks to it and only should be used if the benefits outweigh the risks. Zoloft will take 2 weeks to notice a difference and 6 weeks to reach full effect but is important to take every day no matter how you feel (it has to build up in your system). If you don't take the zoloft the chance of your symptoms increasing after delivery in Approx 75%
wow i know what ur goin thru. i have suffered panic attacks for years an have been off and on lexapro and ativan. i was doing well on 1mg of ativan a day but whenever i became preggo my ob told me to stop. he didnt seem to care or understand the severity of my symptoms. i talkd with my primary and he attempted to ween me off the ativan because he felt it was the best thing to do and i was ok for awhile but now am losing my mind! all my symptoms have returned,i feel shortness of breath i wake in the middle of the night and my heart is pounding..i am scared to death but am trying to deal. i dont want to hurtmy baby either..i have 5 weeks left to deliver i hope everything goes well and i wish u and ur baby the same.