Pregnancy: Feb 2011 Babies Community
baby position

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2011.

baby position

Almost 29 wks and the baby is still transverse, with the head on my right side and feet on left.  Its weird cause when I lay down, there's no bump above my belly button yet, just a mound below it.  Its laying so low, right at my pelvic bone; I thought it would have moved up and turned around by now.  Anyone else have experience with this position?  
I'm right there with you. 28 weeks and I can literally poke my baby in the head on my right side just above my hip and my left hip gets kicked all day and all night by baby feet. I can see a hard round mass on the left side of my belly making my tummy lopsided lol silly baby head. Apparently they still have room to move for a couple more weeks. If not the drs an do a version where they gently push baby to roll into the correct position. Otherwise they suggest scheduling a csection. It is still possible that even at the last minute baby can flip and be head down. I know several people who even went in for a scheduled csection for a breech baby and baby had flipped on their own so they induced labor instead of doing the csection. I'll keep my fingers crossed that both our little ones flip!
Both of my babies are transverse right now. They are lying in there like bunk beds - one on top of the other. I wouldnt worry too much about it yet. We still have time for the babies to flip. They move all of the time. Keep us updated :)
My son was breech the entire time, as well as this baby is.  Mine happend to be due to my half of uterus.  I am SO glad I didn't attempt the version.  We didn't know about my uterus condition with my son but my gut told me since he never moved the whole pregnancy not to try the version.  During my c-section my dr. told me it could have killed him.  NOT saying not to try it IF you get to that point but do know all the risks.

There is still so much time for the baby to move though  :)
I'll find out on Monday where my baby is. It's been almost 8 weeks since my last u/s so this should be quite telling. And I can feel movement but have only had one or two really strong kicks so I'm not sure what position the baby in. Should I know this on my own? Hmmmmm
If I remember corerctly my son was in the position till gosh knows when.  I do believe they still have space to move so I wouldn't be too concerned.  
My baby is head down but sometimes I swear I feel him in the transverse position.  I think if you've had more than one baby they tend to move around a lot more at this point.  Once you get to 30wks or so, I think the baby chooses it's position but it can flip at any time but more likely than not it stays.  My breech baby didn't change from 28wks.  I had a c-section.
my baby always seems like shes on the left side of me and there is a huge lump also. there were a few nights where she was kicking each of my hips and my ribs, she much have been sideways. then a lot of times I feel like shes in breach with her feet kicking me down low. I feel a lot of wavy type feelings too instead of kicks. and you can see her 'roll' around in there. :) its so cute.
I just worry because he/she is so active but has never left this position.  That is, since I've been able to tell where it is. This also was the position for the 19wk ultrasound.  Couldn't tell what sex it was and even hid its face from view.  Not fair.  I sure hope it decides to get into the right postion.  I had a vaginal birth the 1st time and would rather do that again.  I couldn't tell with the 1st what position he was in, but this one is so obvious, especially when I lay down.  Got a kick out of the twins stacked like bunk beds, lil_lady25. :)
My baby is also really active but doesn't move positions. Only rolls log rolls not flips. I know where head is because I can feel and see a large round mass on my right side and no movement there, strong kicks at my left side plus you can see little feet sometimes and then less strong punches at my belly button. This was also confirmed by ultrasound. It's very interesting that they all choose a different positions I wonder what decides what position baby is in.

I agree though with Dani always research before you decide so if they say do a version ask what the risks vs benefits are same w csection. Gotta weigh all your options and pick what's best for you, safest and that you are most comfortable with.
Mine also seems to be staying in the traverse position, but at 28 weeks my OB brushed it off saying that as long as he does it before 32 weeks, there's nothing to worry about....
Mines not head down either... With my other two they were bother head down at 26 weeks.... I hope he makes his flip soon cause I really don't want a c section
I feel almost all movement (and there's A LOT of movement in there every day!) down very low and have been a little worried about it.  I, too, feel like the baby should be much higher and kicking my ribs by now, but 90% of what I feel throughout the day seems like it's down by my pelvic bone.  My next appointment is Wednesday so I guess I'll ask about this then.
Its crazy you can see the feet sometimes SunWorshiper! i cant quite see her feet or anything yet, but I can feel her head and face. and I feel a lot down by my pelvic bone and hips too quite a bit. Why should it make you worry? just wondering because I have no clue about it that :) because the uterus should be up higher?
Some people worry about it bc baby technically will soon run out of room and then be in the incorrect position for birth. I think that's the worry. Or maybe that it feels like baby kicks so hard that their foot is going to fall out your vagina? Heehee I'm not sure. In my opinion as long as baby is moving around it's probably ok :) and baby still does have time to move positions so none of us have to worry about that yet. Soon but not yet.
I was so worried with my son because he never flipped or anything.  I thought something was wrong.  He was just fine.  He just stayed in one spot and wiggled and kicked and kept growing.  This one is the same way.  Every u/s she has her head up still and kicking down low.  My husband seems to think that babies that do this are smart...hey, who wants to be upside down anyway? lol.

It will be fun to see who's does turn and at what week :)
I cant wait to see everyones pictures of the babys!!
I agree what baby really wants to be upside down. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I had to sleep upside down lol
LOL!!!  my baby has been all around... i have felt her head on my right side a lot lately but also feel kicks on my right side ribcage... (ouch..there she goes)... i really wont know what position shes in till the 8th when i get my last ultrasound... doctor hasnt mentioned anything so i guess if she is transverse hes not worried... well jsut wait and see...
According to my US on Monday, baby is breech right now, but OB said she wasn't concerned. Babies can change positions even up to the end apparently. I was surprised to know that, but she said she's had babies turn in the last few weeks. Sometimes it feels like he's flipping around so we'll see at next US in three weeks if he's changed positions.
my baby is officially head down for about 2 weeks now!!!! hope he stays that way!!!!
At my appointment on Wednesday, the midwife told me as she was feeling my belly and unable to determine baby's position that the butt and head feel very similar at this point. LOL!  That had me cracking up for a good long while.  She said they don't worry too much about position until 36 weeks, and if they still can't tell by feeling at that point they will order an ultrasound.
Do you not get regular ultrasounds with a midwife? I don't know much about midwives so I'm just curious. My OB said the same about the time. She doesn't really get too caught up in position until 36 weeks. Hoping baby turns by then. Otherwise, I won't be the one deciding about delivery  :-)
My kiddo moves all the time.  I wouldnt worry about it just yet. Enjoy!!
According to my ultrasound last week on the 8th, baby A (which is my boy) is head down...which explains why I feel the constant sensation to pee every 5 minutes! Baby B (my girl) is transverse. But today, I've been feeling my belly and it almost feels like she's turned down as well. We'll see for sure in two days!
At 29 wk ultrasound, baby was breech.  Head up btw ribs and must be butt sticking out on right side.
okay babys head is down now! lets see if she stays that way!! 31 weeks.