Pregnancy: Jan 2009 Babies Community
Renal Pelvis Dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2009.

Renal Pelvis Dilation

I had previously gone in for a level II sonogram at 18 weeks to check for any growth abnormalities (had a previous pregnancy with severe condition of spina bifida which had to be terminated). The baby looked fine and measured well except for a 5mm growth on its kidneys. the doctor told me it was called renal pelvis dilation. He didn't seem worried but told me to come back in 4 weeks for another U/s. I just got back from my 22 week u/s which showed the dilation was increased slightly and that is was soft marker for downs. The doctor still didn't seem that worried but just wanted me to know the risk. I had a nuclay translucency test done at week 12 which came back excellent results (meaning low for downs - 1 in 9000). But of course I am still worried. The baby has no other markers - the femur and humerus is growing proportionately. But I am worried. They did offer me an amnio but I am not sure I want to risk that. Please help!!! It is a girl :)