Pregnancy: Jan 2009 Babies Community
Top "Labor is Coming Near" Signs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2009.

Top "Labor is Coming Near" Signs

What would you say are the top labor is coming near signs and have you been experiencing any of them?

1. Nesting
2. Increased Cervical Discharge
3. Pelvic Pressure
4. Lightening (baby dropping)
5. Low dull backache, menstrual like cramping, or contractions that are 10 minutes apart
6. Mucus plug

I would say that I have 1, 2, and 3. I was up this Saturday night cleaning the top part of the house with a fine tooth comb, including scrubbing toilets and vacuuming all at midnight. The cervical discharge is definitely a lot worse, I have to wipe 2-3 times when I tinkle just to clear it all away. I like to call the pelvic pressure the ring of fire, because when the pressure gets really bad it feels like a burning sensation around the pelvic bone and throughout the muscles (I don't know if this is common for others though). Usually with subsequent pregnancies a woman will not have lightening until already in labor, but it is a good sign for first-timers. I think the little one is still pretty high but he must have gotten bigger because the urge to pee is constant again and all I can seem to squeeze out is a tablespoon or two. I have been having back pain for some time now, so it is hard to tell if I am having this one. But I did go to L&D Saturday before last with contractions that were 10 minutes apart and I can definitely say that I have been having menstrual like cramping and during the times of contractions and cramping, my backache seems to be worse. Of course, the doc isn't too gung ho about checking me for effacement or dilation because of the partial placenta previa. They don't want to accidentally touch the placenta if in fact I am dilating. I don't think I've lost my mucus plug, which is a good thing, but I did read somewhere that the plug could be very stringy mucus or a big glob. So, not sure how to categorize this one.

One sign that I didn't list is the bloody show. I left this off because I am told that it doesn't happen very often and when it does you are usually more than 4 cm dilated. At 4 cm, I would assume that you know you are in labor.

I know that I still have another 6 weeks to my due date and at least another 3 before this baby should come period so as to be considered full-term. These signs don't point to your going into labor today or tomorrow, but rather that your body is getting ready for the big day.
I think I have a little of all except for the mucus plug...My nesting is no where near the point yours seems to be, thankfully!  I have been cleaning and going through stuff. The discharge is horrible!  I go to the doctor tomorrow and I am going to mention that and the BH contractions.  They seem to get stronger and more frequent every day.  I am scheduled for a c-section 4 weeks from today but my daughter was 2 weeks early so who knows...anytime between now and then, I will have my baby boy!  
I would say that I am dealing with 1,2,4,5.  I have a lot of Braxton Hicks, but my doctor doesn't put any stock into them, even though they hurt like crazy.  I am likely to be induced on the 29th if she hasn't arrived by then.... we will see!
I also heard that diarrhea is a common sign of early labor. It is our bodies way of flushing itself out before the big performance. Although some women don't experience this, the majority of women who do, do not have a bowel movement during labor.