Pregnancy: Jan 2009 Babies Community
babysitting ideas??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2009.

babysitting ideas??

I was wondering who you all had picked out to babysit after the baby is born.  I will have to go back to work and I was hoping my mom (but she's handicap) could watch the baby for me so I can still breast feed.  I've kind of been on the lookout for a good sitter, I may ask my aunt.  I also don't know how if any time dh is going to get off.  Aren't some companies required to give paternity leave??  Otherwise he'll be going to work pretty tired.  He has a job where they do not accrue sick or annaul leave they get 2 weeks vacation one extra every year.  I was thinking of having his mom come over from Las Vegas and stayw / us for awhile to help me.I'm thankful I've been through this before w/ dd and have an idea what to expect I hope this time it's easier (at least I know buying a diaper genie is a waste of money now)
I am planning my maternity leave early November (even though I'm not due til Jan) so I don't have to go back to work until the following November. I asked my Mum if she will watch the twins and she's fine with it even though it means she will have to come to our house where all the stuff is. I don't know how she'll manage with two, she is oldish (55) and has had lots of surgery but if it doesn't work out we'll have to get a child minder but that will cost about $2800 a month!!! That's 700 pounds per child.
StressHead - Wholly cow, that is alot of money. You'd be working just to pay for child care. At that rate, you might as well stay home until they get to kindergarten.

I have been looking at day care centers and personal sitters. You just have to make sure and ask if the day care center allows breast milk since some don't for health reasons. As for personal sitters, a gal at a friends church watches kids around the area I live. May see if she is interested. I don't know about personal sitters though 'cause I have always had bad luck with them.
We r planning to ask parents to help in. My mom and dad will help for first few months and then inlaws might come over and stay with us for 4 months to help. I know .. not looking fwd to inlaws staying with us ... but will have to do it for the kids. I intend going back to work a few months after I have the babies ..so would need all the help I can. Am glad they all offered to come in and help us. Once they r a yr old ..I think I'll put them in a day care... until then I feel they'll be better taken care of with grandparents around.

Daycare and nanny can be so so costly..
personaly, i think it would be better to ask a family member or very close family friend to watch your little bug. So much can happen the first months, I would be scared to leave my baby with anyone I didnt know.
I am hoping to take 3 months of maternity leave and then start back part time at work.  A good friend of mine, who is a stay at home mom & lives in my neigborhood,  may end up watching our baby for 2 days a week. DH is going to work 4-10 hour days, that way, we would only need someone to watch our baby 2 days a week.

At DH's company and I think in general,  FMLA lets fathers take time off for the birth.  However, I believe it is unpaid leave.

I will be taking FMLA but also short term disability, so I can get a reduced paycheck,  during those first 3 months.