Pregnancy: Jan 2009 Babies Community
do they put a catheter when in labor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2009.

do they put a catheter when in labor

the first time I had a catheter put in me was when I had my first miscarriage, and I had no problem with it till the nurse wanted to take it out, she pulled it out so fast that she cut me with it, and then all she had to say was oh I am so sorry, I couldnt pee for like a week or so after that with out it burning me os much, I quit drinking water so it doesnt burn me, since then I hate them,
I am planning on giving a natural birth, I am thinking of not taking no medication, no epidural nothing, would they make me put one or it is up to me???? did you have one put when you gave birth????
I hate catheters!  Every time I get one they cut me (4 times Ive had one) and it hurts so bad to pee, it brings me to tears for days after.  You would think that they could make that tube better somehow so that wouldnt happen.  Anyway,  what I was told by the L/D nurses it that they will give you a catheter if you have a c-section, or if you have a vaginal birth with an epidural because with either choice you can't feel below the waist and may wet yourself.  So, the only way around the catheter, at least in my hopsital is to have  a  vaginal birth with no epidrual...... Im also planning on doing it without the epidural, if my baby flips around.  We will see....
I was 'cathed' with my both my deliveries b/c I took the epidural. I guess I lucked out b/c when they removed it, I was still numb and couldn't feel it.
I was cathed with my first, but this time around, I have asked for no catheterization in my birth plan unless absolutely necessary such as with a c-section.
From what I understand from our Prenatal classes, they us a catheter if you get an epidural. They will come in every so often basically to empty your bladder while you are in labor. Does that sound right???? Cause I know they can't keep it in when you start pushing.....?
If you go natural, I don't see a reason why you would need a cath.  Emmylou has it correctly. Because an epidural bascially numbs you down below, you would have no idea when you needed to go.

You shouldn't feel the cath coming out but ask your doctor.