Pregnancy: Jan 2011 Babies Community
does anyone know? catheter???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2011.

does anyone know? catheter???

moms that have given birth already might know how to answer this.
im 29 weeks pregnant and im lil scared about labor. but i was also concern about a catheter.
is it painful?
Ive heard that girls that get an epidural also have an catheter done because they can't pee on their own after an epidural. is this true?
im hopping if i have an epidural done i don't need the catheter. i don't want it!
Yeah, I was bit surprised when this happened because I didn't know anything about it.  It don't remember it hurting, maybe a little uncomfortable at first.  And yes, I had an epidural.  
I don't know from it happening to me, but when i was there when my little brother was born when i was 9 i remember my mom getting the epidural and them having to give her a catheter. Its because like you said, once you get it you can't control bladder function therefore if your body needs to pee its just going to do it on its own since you can't feel anything down there. My mom said she didnt mind getting the catheter since it was AFTER they had given her the epidural so she couldnt feel it, she's gotten one without being numb down there and said it was much more uncomfortable. You feel them taking it out but according to her its not as uncomfortable.
I had one for my c-sec 6 ys ago and was scared, but turns out it was pain free...it was a nice change not having to run to loo all the time, i had it before my spinal anasthetic an i can honestly say i wouldnt mind having a catheter again...pmsl like i said after a long pregnancy of many bathroom visits it wo good to give em a miss for few days lol xxxx (just read back how strange i sound in my reply lol sorry xxx)
A catheter is not a big deal, especially for a woman.  It's just a small rubbery tube that is placed in the bladder -held in place by a balloon.  It's helpful during the delivery since it makes sure your bladder is empty - one less thing to worry about.

At most it's a little discomfort, but it doesn't hurt.  And if you have an epidural, you shouldn't feel it at all!!
I had an epidural 5 months ago and I asked if i could skip the catheter, the doc said ok but i had to prove i could pee with out it. so i just had DH put the bed pan under me and i squeezed the peed out (sorry tmi) We did this about once an hour and in the end i think i wished i woulda just had the catheter because it was even harder to urinate after labor, almost like my body still wanted me to push it out.
Definitely more uncomfortable than painful.  You won't feel it go in due to the epidural and when they take it out it is just really an annoying discomfort but it is over quick.  (I actually had a nurse that forgot to deflate the little balloon before tugging on it... that was kinda painful, but not even that was too bad.)  Definitely worth it to get the epidural!  It is nothing compared to contractions ;o)
I didnt have any discomfort with the catheter in or out.. I had it in after the epidural- infact didnt even know they did it. The didnt tell me in the mix of laying there preparing for the c-sec I didnt want. I didnt get mine removed until the epidural was completly out and I was going to attempt to get up for the first time and go strait to the bathroom.

The c-section and back paid over did any pain I had for other stuff. So I never noticed my bladder.
I've had a cath with epidurals and zero problems. Earlier thickest I had a cath put in with no meds due to surgery to fix a broken ankle (while 19 weeks pregnant!) and the insertion was a bit uncomfortable, but once it was in, I never noticed it, and then when it was time to take it out, it was more of a relief feeling, like afterbirth. But all that was done without any meds of any sort. With an epidural, I never noticed a thing.