Pregnancy: Jan 2013 Babies Community
What contraceptive after delivery? I want to get sterilized!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2013.

Maybe not on the right thread but I know we're all having babies soon. My edd is 7th Jan. This is my 4th pregnancy I am in my late 30s & hubby early 30s.
This is my 2nd marriage & we were glad I conceived first time after taking clomid 5-9mg but I would not have had anymore if never met hubby.
There's a 9 year gap but I want to get sterilized now, hubby not 100% about it but I feel this is a good choice.
Has anyone had tubes tied, regretted it reversed or had problems reversing? Or had disputes with OH's? What are the side effects if any & did you feel less of a woman?
My sister got her tubes tied, and regrets it terribly. Then again she was only 23, had 2 kids very close in age, and was in a very rocky relationship. Her and her children's father ended up splitting and now she's with another man that has no kids and wants some of his own, so definitely not the same situation as you. BUT I do have a friend that got her tubes tied after her 2nd boy and decided many years later her and her husband wanted a reversal, did it (after 10,000 dollars) and 3 years later still hasn't gotten pregnant and has been seeing a fertility specialist. They said she has too much scar tissue left over from the surgery, making it hard for her to get pregnant, some women have no troubles, some don't ever get pregnant after a reversal. I've been thinking about it, too. I'm 21, this is mine and my husbands 2nd, a boy and a girl (not that that matters) but we both decided we can't say for 100% sure, especially being so young, so we're not doing it. If you're dead set you don't want anymore, and don't think you'll change your mind, do it. In that case your husband won't be able to talk you into another anyway even if you don't get sterilized. But if you think you may someday, in the future, I'd wait. Get something that will last 3 years or so and access then, if it's still a no I don't want anymore, then go through with sterilization. I would definitely keep your OH in mind while making this decision so he doesn't feel helpless, good luck hun!
I am 26 and just had my second child. I did not get my tubes tied because I felt like I was too young to do so, my sister got her tubes laser burned and completely sterilized when she was 25 and she regrets it now because it has changed her hormones levels and she has a hard time losing weight now and excess hair growth in places that a woman shouldn't have hair like the chin and chest….I agree with Ktowne, some people have no problems with reversal but it also depends on which procedure you do, the tying of tubes or the burning of your tubes…now a days I heard that they don't just tie off the tubes and they have to burn them but not to sure how accurate that is.

In my opinion for your hubby I think you should just go with an IUD or something that lasts 5+ years instead just in case he wants another baby and doesn't feel like he didn't get to experience having more than one child of his own.

Good Luck
Have u ever thought about getting iud or something in that nature.
Thanks for all your comments but those experiences were for younger ladies in their 20s. I would never have considered it @ that age (I did @ 30) but glad I didn't
It can be an expensive choice & scarring but so it can be with a IUD. I don't like the ides of facial hair though lol.
Maybe the pill again I don't know