Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Anyone else getting an amnio?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Anyone else getting an amnio?

well, I met my new OB and she's great. I asked her what she thought of getting an amnio and she said that at my age (I will be 38 at the delivery), an amnio is the best choice... so I scheduled it for January 19th and I'm scared to death!!!

She says that there are very low risks and that they're worth it cause I have a 1/140 chance of having a child with Trisomy...

Holy smokes! Those odds are a little scary!!!

Anyone else getting an amnio?
DB and I talked it over in  case my OB offers it to us and we decided that we don't want to do it. Those tests aren't 100% and we don't want to worry for no reason. We would never terminate the pregnancy no matter what problems our baby might have.
It is a personal choice for everyone to make. Your odds are a little scary so I guess if I were told the same thing I might have the test done but I would still continue with the pregnancy no matter the results.
I watched a video on godtube and there was a baby (Eliot) that had trisomy, he lived for three months and it was the best three months of his parents lifes. I would rather have 3 months with my baby than no time at all. Plus, the thought of knowing that I ended my childs life would haunt me forever.
Sorry, I know I went off on a tangent here but Noah is napping and I don't want to clean right now so I am bored :)
to tell u the truth and im not going to lie to u the amnio was the most painful thing ive went through. I'd NEVER do it again unless medically necessary
Did they do local anastesia before doing the procedure? I read that they do it sometimes....
Why did you do the amnio? Because you had bad odds?
Hi! I thought your odds were good? 1/140, its better then less then a 100, right? I know that women after 35 have it done and maybe it s a good idea...
That 's what I read though:
Precautions

As an invasive surgical procedure, amnio poses a real, although small, risk to the health of a fetus. Parents must weigh the potential value of the knowledge gained, or indeed the reassurance that all is well, against the small risk of damaging what is in all probability a normal fetus. The serious emotional and ethical dilemmas that adverse test results can bring must also be considered. The decision to undergo amnio is always a matter of personal choice.
Hi, I don't think we should worry about amnio though, because we are only in our 20s...I will not do it unless my odds are bad..
I will know next Tues, can't wait to see my baby on u/s!!
I know I am young and my odds are very low, that's part of the reason why Joe and I decided that we will not be doing it.
I see my baby again next Monday, I cant wait, my other u/s don't even look like a baby, just a blob. I put them on my profile.
I will only be 22 when I deliver so I am not doing an amnio - I  am  a worry wart and I dont want to stress myself over a false positive - if I was older I would consider it - also as for those of you contemplating whether or not to do it - in my opinion do not take into account how painful the procedure is - you will live and it is for the best interest of the baby - we have to suck it up a little to take care of the little one growing inside of us!
Have you gotten a nuchal translucency and blood tests done yet to test for down syndrome, trisomy, etc?  I got the nuchal translucency test and  blood test done earlier this week.  Supposedly that combined with a later blood test at 16 weeks will give you pretty good odds on whether you're at risk for down syndrome, etc.  My doctor strongly suggested that I hold off on deciding on amnio until I get the other results because there are risks associated with amnio.  Plus, when I spoke with friends and family, they all seemed to recommend against amnio unless necessary because they had horror stories to share.  For reference, I'll be 36 when I give birth to my first child.
I'm not sure with this one I will find out in about 4 weeks. I had a pos afp with my daughter and had to get a amnio at 27yrs old. I was fine and the baby was fine. The percent of m/c is really low. Best of luck to you are you going to have them tell you the sex of the baby?  How many weeks are you?

AP