Anyone else getting an amnio?
well, I met my new OB and she's great. I asked her what she thought of getting an amnio and she said that at my age (I will be 38 at the delivery), an amnio is the best choice... so I scheduled it for January 19th and I'm scared to death!!!

She says that there are very low risks and that they're worth it cause I have a 1/140 chance of having a child with Trisomy...

Holy smokes! Those odds are a little scary!!!

Anyone else getting an amnio?
DB and I talked it over in  case my OB offers it to us and we decided that we don't want to do it. Those tests aren't 100% and we don't want to worry for no reason. We would never terminate the pregnancy no matter what problems our baby might have.
It is a personal choice for everyone to make. Your odds are a little scary so I guess if I were told the same thing I might have the test done but I would still continue with the pregnancy no matter the results.
I watched a video on godtube and there was a baby (Eliot) that had trisomy, he lived for three months and it was the best three months of his parents lifes. I would rather have 3 months with my baby than no time at all. Plus, the thought of knowing that I ended my childs life would haunt me forever.
Sorry, I know I went off on a tangent here but Noah is napping and I don't want to clean right now so I am bored :)
to tell u the truth and im not going to lie to u the amnio was the most painful thing ive went through. I'd NEVER do it again unless medically necessary
Did they do local anastesia before doing the procedure? I read that they do it sometimes....
Why did you do the amnio? Because you had bad odds?
Hi! I thought your odds were good? 1/140, its better then less then a 100, right? I know that women after 35 have it done and maybe it s a good idea...
That 's what I read though:
Precautions

As an invasive surgical procedure, amnio poses a real, although small, risk to the health of a fetus. Parents must weigh the potential value of the knowledge gained, or indeed the reassurance that all is well, against the small risk of damaging what is in all probability a normal fetus. The serious emotional and ethical dilemmas that adverse test results can bring must also be considered. The decision to undergo amnio is always a matter of personal choice.
Hi, I don't think we should worry about amnio though, because we are only in our 20s...I will not do it unless my odds are bad..
I will know next Tues, can't wait to see my baby on u/s!!
I know I am young and my odds are very low, that's part of the reason why Joe and I decided that we will not be doing it.
I see my baby again next Monday, I cant wait, my other u/s don't even look like a baby, just a blob. I put them on my profile.
I will only be 22 when I deliver so I am not doing an amnio - I  am  a worry wart and I dont want to stress myself over a false positive - if I was older I would consider it - also as for those of you contemplating whether or not to do it - in my opinion do not take into account how painful the procedure is - you will live and it is for the best interest of the baby - we have to suck it up a little to take care of the little one growing inside of us!
Have you gotten a nuchal translucency and blood tests done yet to test for down syndrome, trisomy, etc?  I got the nuchal translucency test and  blood test done earlier this week.  Supposedly that combined with a later blood test at 16 weeks will give you pretty good odds on whether you're at risk for down syndrome, etc.  My doctor strongly suggested that I hold off on deciding on amnio until I get the other results because there are risks associated with amnio.  Plus, when I spoke with friends and family, they all seemed to recommend against amnio unless necessary because they had horror stories to share.  For reference, I'll be 36 when I give birth to my first child.
I'm not sure with this one I will find out in about 4 weeks. I had a pos afp with my daughter and had to get a amnio at 27yrs old. I was fine and the baby was fine. The percent of m/c is really low. Best of luck to you are you going to have them tell you the sex of the baby?  How many weeks are you?

AP