Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Breathing Noises

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Breathing Noises

OK - My baby is now 7 and half weeks old.  Ever since he was about 3 weeks old - when he sleeps it sounds like he has a rattling in the back of his throat - like he needs to clear his throat but can't.  He also does it when he is awake and in a laying down position or a reclined position.  My dr. diagnosed this as reflux, but he doesn't spit up he just kind of has this gurgly, rattly, almost like a snoreing noise.  Anyone else experience this with their baby?  He sleeps best in a car seat or on an incline, but still he makes the noise.  I'm just wondering if it could be something else - I've been to the dr. twice about it.
Hey girl. Jack sometimes gets that rattling and/or congested sounding breathing when he sleeps. After reading this in the book my hospital sent me home with, I calmed down!

Here's what it says:
Breathing:  All newborn babies make strange sounds when they breathe. Breathing may sound somewhat irregular, fast, or noisy. It is normal for a newborn to alternate periods of harsh, deep breaths with periods of shallow, quiet breaths. All newborns are nose-breathers, so it is important to keep the nose clean of mucus. Sometimes your baby may sound stuffy or have a "rattling" sound to their breathing. This only represents air trying to get through the baby's narrow nasal passages. Sneezing is the infant's way of keeping nasal passages clear; it does not mean the baby has a cold.

Not sure if this helps, but it helped me not to panic and whip out the thermometer! :)

I hope you are doing well! Message me sometime and let me know how things are going!!!

Take care, Heather
Thank you girl!  That does make me feel better - and he's been to the dr about it and he has reassured me that his chest is clear and that he's fine.  It still just makes me nervous.  I am doing much better than at first bc I had alot of complications from my c-section and then some post partum depression, but I feel alot better now!!  Keep me posted on you and little Jack as well.
I agree with the previous mom. I dont think there's anything to be alarmed about. I have read that soemtimes noises in the back of baby's throat can be a symptom of reflux. But if your baby is having any projectile vomiting, or severe spitting up, i think you're fine.
But it doesn't hurt to get reassured by your pediatrician. :)
Yeah I have the same issue with JT. He has the rattling sounds and my doctor told me it was all normal. So just try not to worry!
My little James ha sthe same noise and I also freak out too even when everyone says it is o.k, but is hard to hear your baby wiith rattling noises during his sleeps.
Ladies:  I sent you all notes, but I thought - duh! why not put it on the forum!  I have a question - does your LO still make the rattly or gurgly or snore-like noise when he breathes while asleep like we had discussed above?  Just wondering bc Cash is still doing it...
It is so hard for me to sleep some nights when I can hear him breathing like that.