Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Juice ????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Juice ????

My baby books say you can start giving your bub juice right about now, diluted with water. I got Jack some cups made for 4 months + and got him some organic apple juice. I diluted it like the books said and gave it a whirl. Jack seemed to really enjoy it, but had a heck of a time with that cup! He was sucking the sippy like a bottle nipple and it was sort of a disaster!
I only gave it one shot yesterday. Figured he wasn't ready yet and gave up.
Anyone else offering juice to their baby? I'm confused as to whether I should be trying this yet or not. Every book is different! Don't see doc again until mid- January when Jack is  6.5 months.
Thoughts!???

xo, Heather
No....I would hold off on any juice.  If you are starting with anything start with water or he may not take to it.  I know several kids who won't drink water.....only juice or pop.  When I had my first DD my doc suggested I hold off on any other fluids until 6 months as they get enough from the formula or breast.  That's what I did.  I started Anika on water and to this day she would perfer it over juice.  She is almost 3 and I still dilute her juice (if she wants juice).  The way I look at it is, they get enough sugar from food so they don't need anymore of it being still so young.  I don't think Anika had juice until she was 8 months and that was not by my choice.....my dad would give it to her while he was watching her.

I think he is still a bit young to take to any sippy cup yet.  Just doesn't have the reflex control.  

These are just my thoughts and what I did with Anika and plan on doing it again with Iliana!!!

My doc said that the best liquid besides besides breast or formula milk following 6 months of age is water. A baby doesn't really need any juice and I agree with Sasha80, there is too much unwanted sugars in there, I personally won't be doing that. I get comments from my MIL that she should get some juice but I won't be giving her any, that's my own personal choice. Obesity runs in my husbands family and I have already seen his nephews who have eating problems - they just don't eat healthy and just sweet stuff or junk food (one is almost 8, the other almost 3). They were givens 'baby juices' and even some forms of 'adult juices' which were apparentley '100%'. I'm really cautious about sweet stuff and will be giving her when she hits the 12 months mark.

It's your personal choice. Every mum is only doing what is best for her bub :-)
I am planning to try the sippy cup this weekend, but I'm going to try it with water.  My dr. told me it was fine to start Cash on diluted juice, but I'm afraid to bc others have siad their babe didn't want water after having juice.
I don't think there is a right or a wrong.  To each their own.  Take care!
With my son (who is now 3) our pediatrician actually told us not to give him juice until he turned 1.  They are getting all the nutrition that they need from breast milk and/or formula so they don't need juice for that reason. There is also a lot of sugar in juice that they don't need in their diet.  
I have been told that babies don't need much of juice or water until later on, bc they can get it from breast milk or formula. I am also kind of worried about them developing any food allergies if introduced to early to food, fruits, etc.  For me is better to wait then have to worry, but like everyone else said everyone is different..
No, not juice yet here either. London will be 6 months on Christmas Eve and I think we will try a sippy cup of water with his new cup he will be getting from Santa! Whew hew! We love to drink water at my house so I hope he will take to it. But I don't see anything wrong with a little flavor either!
Yeah. We only gave him about two small sips of VERY diluted apple juice that one night. He didn't seem too interested and then I read everyone's posts and I agree. It's confusing when you get conflicting advice from books, friends, doctors, etc. Ah well! Thanks girls!