Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Obstuction of left kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Obstuction of left kidney

Hi ladies,

I went for my 30 week appointment the other day only to find out (had an u/s a week ago) there is an obstruction of the baby's left kidney.  The kidney is swollen so doc ordered another u/s (happening June 5) to see if the obstruction has cleared (highly unlikely) or if the kidney has failed.  Talk about stress!!!  Have you or know of anyone whose little ones were born with one kidney??  Do they require a different diet, meds etc??? I am sooo worried about the right kidney.  My hubby has been supportive but what is bothering me most is that one of his concerns is that the baby will have to watch his/her alcohol consumption later in life.  Honestly.......that's the least of my worries at this point.    

Any input would be great.  

Sasha
I'd have to say I've never heard of this, but my FIRST priority if diagnosed with something like this would be to do a repeat ultrasound for a second opinion---different facility, different doc.  Just to be sure that's really the problem.  

What did they say is causing it?  Is it the doc's "guess" that it is unlikely to clear or is that based on statistics in this diagnosis?  Didn't the doc say *anything* about what it meant if it doesn't clear??  

Let us know, so sorry you're having to deal with this stress!!
I'm so sorry. How are you doing? I have no idea I wish I could help you. Have you asked your dr to be referred over to a specialist or call a urologist yourself? I will keep you and your baby in my thoughts. If you need to talk I'm here......I feel so bad.
Ps- Men can say the stupidest things when they are nervous. It's a coping mechanism they use to deal with what is going on. I don't think that really matters to him in his mind he doesn't know how to process the reality and severity of the situation. I'm sure with your help he will figure it out! Good luck and best wishes to the both of you and your baby!
Spoke with the doc on the phone today as I have been very worried.  Unfortuately I had a screaming child in my arms so didn't catch a bit of what he said but he reassured me the right kidney is perfectly fine.  The left kidney has/had a partial obstruction due to the bowel or bladder (didn't catch which one as Anika was crying).  He'll know more about the obstruction after the next u/s.  He is not making any sort of diagnosis until then (he is aware that the u/s is in 2 weeks).  He did state that the clearing of the obstruction can definitely happen as baby grows.  He said we will come to decisions when that time comes.  Seeing a specialist will be discussed following the next u/s if things don't get better.  

So, overall I am feeling much better about the safety of the baby.  I will keep you posted.
I will be thinking about you and your baby. Best wishes to you both. I hope you feel better soon!

AP