Pregnancy: July 2009 Babies Community
Sippy Cup Success

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2009.

Sippy Cup Success

OK - Having trouble getting Cash going with a sippy cup.  And we have been through like seven!  He likes the ones with handles and the ones that pour into his mouth like a real cup more than the ones he has to suck hard on, BUT how do I help him to understand when the it isn't completely full he has to tilt it up.
Also - just a question - why do the majority of sippy cups require them to suck?  Isn't that like a bottle?  And isn't the point to try to transition away from the bottle?
Well Medina hates hates hates the bottle but loves the sippy cup (or normal cups even more). She still chews on it heaps. We have the sippy cup from Avent which she likes. With the tilting part, I tried to teach Medina and in the end she tilts it up now on her own, not all the time. I just gave her the sippy cup and let her play with it and then eventually she realised that when she tilts it water comes out.
James, grabs his sippy cup, but does not get the idea that he has to tilt it yet, he does great without a lid, drnks from the cup great.
We are also still working on the lifting the sippy cup up but he will do it from time to time.  I just continually show him how to do it.  I think that it will all come with time.  I figure that he will pick it up when he really really needs a drink and nothing is coming out.
ladybug- We have the same issue.  Cooper will drink if I tip it up for him, but he won't do it on his own.  It takes time for them to figure it out!
I think the reason they have to suck is so that they are spill-proof.  There are sippy cup lids that pour (lwe have some old tupperware cups w/spout lids), but of course they're not spill-proof.

JT has the same issue, I guess I have to show him how to do it and he will catch on sooner or later. He does chew on it a lot so it leaks now which ***** for me but not for him because it shoots into his mouth now, lol.
Thanks girls!  I see I'm not the only one having trouble here...I guess (like everything else) they will get it when they get it! LOL!
Jack is the same. He LOVES to drink anything out of a regular cup if I'm holding it. He screams for more when I take it away. With the sippy cup he'll chew/gnaw on the sippy part and then bangs it on the high chair and eventually throws it to the floor!
hello ladies, I am still battling James and his sippy cup, there is no way this little guy like sippy cups, period. I have bought the straws one, ect and nothing. Getting a bit worried since by next month we are switching to regular milk, any ideas?
Well, I don't really have a success story, but I think we are getting there.  I bought a regular Gerber sippy cup (like the fortieth different one I've bought) and took the stopper out (ya know the thing that makes it spill-proof).  He does pretty well with it, but after a few sips he throws it on the floor.  I started putting half of his bed time bottle in this sippy and making him drink it before he can have the bottle and he has figured out that if he wants his bottle he better drink up.  He in no way likes it though!  He drinks a little and then waits to see if I'll give him his bottle, and then drinks a little more and then looks for the bottle again.  But, maybe this is progress.
I'm getting worried as well bc I was REALLY hoping to get rid of the bottle and the paci at 12 months.
ladybug- You are describing James and his sippy cup behavior. I have also bought quite a few (decided to stop otherwise DH will be having a heart attack) with no success. I too took the spill proof part of one and have been trying to give him some water, juice and like Cash he takes a few sips and that is refuses it and pushes it away.
Talked to my pediatrician and said not to worry some babies go to drink starigh from cups, but it might take a while. So probably I will be swtiching to  regular milk and still doing the bottle.
I think i like your idea with the formula maybe when I switch to milk I will do the same.