Pregnancy: July 2010 Babies Community
Borderline Cervix

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2010.

Borderline Cervix

HI everyone I had a ultrasound on wednesday febuary 24th last week and it showed my cervix is borderline at 3.2 cm and normal is 3..5 to 4 cm. My OB said its nothing to worry about and it wont need further checking but, of course it has me worried. Ill be 24 weeks pregnant this saturday. All they told me to do was watch for pressure or pain in my pelvis area. Has anyone ever had this before? Did you carry to term? She has put me on no restrictions so Im just curious. Thanks
Well that size is still OK if it gets short then you will be put on bed rest. The good thing is that it is not dialating yet:) Try not to worry about it. I would think though that you should not have sex though! Did they tell you that??? THe prosiglandins in the seman can ripen your cervix. Yet you should also know that a cervix can harden back up! I was 4 then 3.8 then the last time I was 4.3 so try not to worry!! Oh but I am not allowed to have sex without a condom because of my history of pre term labor and contracting off and on.
I am high risk with incompetent cervix and preterm labor...I go every other week for a cervical length check via vaginal u/s and they told me not to worry until I get around 2.5 or less... I was put on bedrest with my previous two - daughter no cervical cerclage and dialated 3cm at 19 weeks and son with cervicial cerclage at 20 weeks because length went to 1.2cm with pressure... if you feel anything different... call the dr - they would rather be too cautious in my opinion! Good Luck
Thanks for the responses. No my doctor didnt tell me not to have sex or anything just said take it easy no heavy lifting or things like that but no strict restrictions. Just to watch for any feeling of pressure. I dont have to go back till the 1st of april and at that point ill start seeing her every two weeks since ill be around 28weeks. but even at my next visit she said its not something that will need rechecked unless Im having problems. Also Im having the glucose testing done at my next appintment. I tend to throw up very easily is it really as bad as everyone says?
Hi Dolce,

My doctor says anythign less than 2.5 is risky. I am having twins and have my cervix measured every 2 - 3 weeks. Mine has been around 3.7 each time and he told me that measurement is excellent. So, I really think you're okay.

About intercourse, decided not to during the pregnancy since there is the risk for it "ripening" the cervix. So, you may want to try not to if your cervix is shortening.

Hope that helps!!!
hi there...im almost 18 weeks preg and was just told today my cervix is 2.5cm...my doc didnt seem very concerned about it but im worried...i lost a baby at 15 weeks 2 years ago when my water broke and then i started bleeding uncontrollably (later learned i have a blood clotting disorder)....im so scared of losing another one but my doc really acted like this is ok and i should come back in 6 weeks for another u/s to check my cervix for any changes...i feel like this is forever away....the only good thing is that my cervix is completely shut right now
I was told that if mine got to that lenght I would be put in the hospital so that is not a good length at all.
I think every dr is different... my last measurement was barely 2cm - and I am almost 28 weeks.  The high risk drs want me back in 1 week for another check and I saw my ob last night and he said it all looked okay... Who knows!! I am just really getting bored of this home  bed rest stuff... getting miserable!
Mine was 3.2 this week and the dr sid ti was ok. He said that once you get down to underthree the watch for fast changes which can signal something is happening.
I am going at 9:00 am EST today to check my cervix - I am hoping that since everything seemed to calm down that maybe my length went back up above 3cm... I want to go back to work....
i talked to my ob about my cervix and she said that sometime the baby can put pressure on the cervix and cause it to measure shorter....im waiting until may 24 to have my cervix measured again and a growth check on the baby (since im on heparin)....so far things have been alright....i havent had any cramping or spotting and i can feel the baby move pretty regularly....my ob said that once they have another measurement on the 24th they will be able to determine if i need restrictions and what they are

this is def nerve wracking but im slowly making my way there....i go back to the ob may 11 for my 20 week check up and then only 13 more days after that of waiting :/