Pregnancy: July 2010 Babies Community
anyone understand dilation an effacment??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in July 2010.

I am 39wks pregnant......okay so i went to the doctors today an as my doctor checked me she looked axtremely pleased. she told me i was 3cm dilated but she can try to stretch my cervix to dialte a littel more but it would be painful so i told her to go ahead and do it. so by the end of my appointment she sadi she was able to help dilate me to 4-5 cm an it was easy to stretch which i guess means i was already starting to dilate more on my own (great news right) yeah anyways so i asked her if i was effaced an she told me im like half way  and a little soft so does this mean i am going to go into labor soon? i have been spotting since my checkup (however i do know that is normal) but for me beign so dilated should labor be starting soon . she does have me going to see the other doctor in two days an they will set app. for induce but i was wondering what my possibilities of going into labor before this weekend..anyone have any idea about the dilation an effacment?????
You can be a few cm dilated and be effaced and still not go into labor, i was 3 cm and %50 effaced for 3 weeks before my doctor finally induced me. You are def heading in the right direction and its possible to go into labor at any time, but its also possible to not go into labor any time soon. Try taking long walks to help trigger labor, good luck.
yeah but to be 5cm....omg this just seems way wierd...i have four other children an by 5cm i was in the hospital begging for my epideral...lol i just am amazed how i am walking around over half way there and no pains..i think it is really bothering me the most cause i know the hospital is a 30 min drive an an 1hr to an hour an 1/2 for my hubby an dont want this to happen by myself.... but it does seem wierd to be able to walk around "no paions" what so ever an 60% effaced and 5 cm dilated....