Pregnancy: June 2009 Babies Community
Does LO want to sleep on tummy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in June 2009.

Does LO want to sleep on tummy?

Cash's ENT and his Pediatric ENT have both suggested that I let him sleep on his tummy.  He is eleven weeks old tomorrow and it scares me to do it.  He has really loud breathing noises bc he has a "floppy airway" that collapses partially when he is relaxed.  The condition is called laryngomalacia.  During the day if he falls asleep on mommy or daddy he sleeps on our chest on his tummy and makes NO noise and sleeps wonderfully.  On his back (elevated or not) he doesn't rest well at night and doesn't hardly sleep at all during the day.  Last night I put him on his tummy and he slept 8 hours straight!  It was wonderful and he was in the best mood this morning!  I just don't know if I want to continue it.  
Just wondering if anyone is letting or has let LO sleep on their tummy?
After you answer please post your opinion - I am very interested to see what everyone thinks.
66%
 (2) 
Yes - naps only
33%
 (1) 
Yes - naps and at night
0%
 (0) 
No - and won't do it
0%
 (0) 
Other - if you choose this please explain below
3 Members voted
Here is some info.  I know you arent supposed to sleep them on their belly's but both of my daughters had some reflux issues so I slept both on their bellies.  Pyper is 14 weeks and I have been sleeping her on her tummy since about 2 weeks.  She wouldnt sleep on her back at all in the beginning so we had to hold her and sleep.  Finally we got sick of that and realized it was very unsafe so we put her on her belly and just watched closely and she has been fine. She will not sleep on her back.  THe other night she woke up at 3:30 am and was crying and I wondered why because she has been sleeping through the night since 7 weeks and here she rolled on her back and hated it.  She sleep for bout 10 or 11 hours a night since 7 weeks.  She wont sleep on her back in her crib at daycare either so that sleep her in a vibrating seat because they cant lay them ontheir bellies.  Back when I was a baby they told parents to sleep us on our bellies and I am alive.  
My daughter also has Larynmalagia. She  gasps for air at night as well. No one has told me to have her sleep on her belly, but it doesnt wake her up at night.
That's great that her's doesn't bother her!  Cash has alot of trouble breathing when asleep on his back!  He will gasp and then also sounds like he has a ton of "stuff" in his throat.  We have just went to tummy sleeping at night after a long talk with out ped.  There are risks but him struggling to breath is a risk as well.  I use an Angel Care monitor that lets me know if he goes more than 15 seconds without movement.  It gives me a little peace of mind - although I knowit isn't fool proof.  It's so good to hear from you! We have really missed you!